toblix

Tex Murphy - Project Fedora Kickstarter

So they're making another Tex Murphy game. The same two designers, Chris Jones and Aaron Conners, will be doing it, and it'll be similar to the three last Tex Murphy games (FMV, 3D environments). I loved those games, so I'm backing them, and if you did too, you should too also.

Edited by toblix

Wow, this one sure obtained a fourth of it's funding quick. Even though the FMV game fad produced a major amount of utter shit, Tex Murphy was always top notch in the way it juggled the low production values in a B movie way, keeping the serious to a low. Yet when the game got into it's melancholy noir parts, Chris Jones always acted it out well, doing better than some of the other more professional actors that appeared in the games. Guy hasn't seemed to age much either.

I want to see this one too. This is the year to spend hundred of dollars on Kickstarter games I guess. Oh well...

Reading it a little bit more though, this one is subsidized by their three previous downloadable titles that I haven't gotten around to buying or playing yet. So hitting the $45 mark gets you extra games. This sweetens the sadness of losing another hundred.

I wonder if they'll integrate the cut scenes into the 3D gameplay any further. I was always impressed with the detail that went into Tex's office and other locations.

Did anyone play the first two (non-FMV) Tex Murphy games? I have no idea what they looked like or how they played.

I have never played a Tex Murphy game, but I am intrigued by that Kickstarter Video.

I see the previous games are available on GOG.com ;) but I will probably only get around to playing one of them, so which one is the best?

I would say Under a Killing Moon, then, because once you're done with that you'll still play the other two (Pandora Directive and Overseer). I don't know about Martian Memorandum, since I never played it, but it's a 2D point and click adventure, unlike the three sequels.

Hey, maybe I should play Martian Memorandum.

I think Martian Memorandum is without a doubt, the worst Tex Murphy game. The graphics are just ass, the puzzles are boring, and the writing is way too cheesy. It just feels so incredibly cheap and broken in many ways.

Mean Streets is charming in a way, outside of the flight sim garbage. I wouldn't recommend anyone start with the series below Under a Killing Moon, especially because Overseer retells the first game as well.

I enjoyed Mean Streets for nothing more than the fact that I wrote down pages of notes, Overseer is actually a sort of a remake of it (in that it tells the same basic story of Murphy's first case). MM isn't so good but slightly interesting from a back story perspective.

Not that anyone should take anything from this but Pandora Directive is one of my favourite games. A sort of formative game experience for me if you will...

For that reason, the amount I've pleged to this one is...well, more than I'm willing to admit.

I really want to play Under a Killing Moon and Pandora Directive, but I can never get past the controls. They render the game pretty much unplayable, or at least too annoying to play. Too bad this kickstarter isn't for fixing the existing games.

I really want to play Under a Killing Moon and Pandora Directive, but I can never get past the controls.

I think the controls have the right idea—it's similar to the endless toggling of System Shock 2 and for a game like this it seemed like a good approach.

Then again, I frequently died trying to run from a killer robot while switching to movement mode from investigation mode and vice versa.

So, you're probably right.

Yeah, I think the controls are fine as long as you don't have to act fast. Unfortunately, the games do have parts where you do :/

Ugh, thanks for the reminder. I'm replaying UAKM and I'm up to the bit with the security robot...so annoying.

I never played any of them because I was leery of FMV in general, but I just downloaded Overseer off of GOG and am going through it. I like it! No nonsense hint system too.

I am totally amused by the renaissance of FMV games we've been seeing.

Overseer is definitely my favorite. I wish they had done another after that one, as it had the least cheese and was actually a game where I wanted to know what happened next every chapter, outside of just waiting for Tex's next wisecrack. This is with having played Mean Streets first as well.

I just hope they get the caliber of actors they had in Overseer to Project Fedora. They don't have to be big names, but I feel like if we are going back to the Under the Killing Moon hammy actors with bad make up, as the video is set up, then it will feel a little off track. I'm sure the video is not anywhere near proof of concept though.

Also did anyone ever listen to those radio plays that continued the story after Overseer? They were pretty well produced, yet ended on a cliffhanger as well. I'm wondering if they will pick back up after Overseer or the extra plot from the radio plays.

I had the same problem as Moos, I just cold never get over the controls. I loved the longplays I saw and YouTube and wished I could get over them, but I couldn't. I even listened to the radio play Synth mentioned, which made me want to get over the controls even more.

I assume if they make it, the UI will be similar, but easier to control?

Looks like they just funded it yesterday, I'm looking forward to the game. After playing Overseer I agree with the bad controls comment-- just make it control like an FPS I say, also the pacing and awkward/constant insta-deaths were jarring.

Still I backed it in hopes that they'd fix those things and keep all of the good stuff.

Well, I'm glad it was funded since I wasn't so sure about this one. Now I can just see if I'll like it after they release a demo or in-game footage.

It was really interesting to see how that the Magnificent 7 thing just took off instantly. It wasn't very long from I got the announcement mail until the first one was crossed out, and the next ones came soon after. Brilliant idea.

It's weird seeing them use these fundraising tactics (they remind me of PBS begathons), but then again it is somehow fitting for the genre...cultural institiution that it is.