Sign in to follow this  
Thompson

The Electronic Three: 2012

I enjoyed Mr. Caffeine.

I'm sad I didn't see the 2010 Konami presentation, with the 99 Nights guy going "One meeerrrion twoops... wowww." E3 presentations are the best, I can't wait and will try to remember going on Steam as well. I've got a yearly [N]Gamer viewing too, so maybe doing two of them is too much, or maybe it'll be fine :tup:

Well I'm glad you posted it here. For some reason I barely ever check the games bit of this games messageboard.

I don't understand...

Mr. Caffeine is only good because I have memories of the IT Steam chat while he was doing that shit. I'd be down to watch it again with the chat, provided I'm not at work while all that is going on. Good times with bad conferences.

Haha, Mr. Cocaine. :grin: I don't know who said that first, but it still cracks me up. Count me IN! Unless I'm not there on the day, but I do not yet see why not.

mr%20caffeine.gif

DOODLY DOODLY DOODLY

There's been stories that guy hung around the Ubisoft booth for the rest of the show after the presser wrapped up, heckling the staff of surrounding booths and generally being a total asshole.

I don't understand...

I have a habit of only really paying attention to the off-topic sections of forums. I'm not really sure why.

Is 3DS actually selling good? Or am I just super idiotic and don't get your sarcasm?

Six million sold in Japan and one million in UK. Don't know about USA or the rest of Europe and rest of Asia.

Steam chat would be great, last year I joined for the Nintendo talk and it was hilarious.

Shame I can't join the chat this year however as we are leaving to Japan this week on Sunday for a month.

Well I was going to go to sleep but it's too damn late for that now. Mildly interestingly, I think I was also running on biological overtime last E3. Hopefully it doesn't become a tradition.

Over the last couple of years I was actually working for gaming news sites during E3 and that was pretty balls out crazy, so I know the feeling Orv... I'm actually quite looking forward to having nothing to write this week, and I'll probably just be chilling in the Idle Thumbs Steam chat today laughing about the conferences as a pure observer.

Anybody see the Nintendo thing?

Some of the stuff they're doing with the Wii U is maybe kinda neat.

The general gist is that the Wii U will be populated with contextually appropriate messages from other players. So at the dashboard level, you will see displayed around your game icons some general game-specific conversations, but tunneling in deeper, it might also be that you die in a game and see messages from other people who died in the same place, then being able to reach out and ask those people for advice.

Right, you already see problems, right? The internet being full of assholes, i don't imagine the dialogues will be nearly as constructive or polite as Nintendo envisions them being.

Or, oh god, what if it's a bad game and people are doing nothing but complain about it? What if that's all people see while they're trying to play it? What's the fallout from that? Will publishers get to censor the conversations?

There's a ton of unknowns here, but I kind of like the idea, making games passively communal, bringing the conversations people are already having into the games themselves.

I mean, i think it has potential, it's unexpectedly progressive to see out of a company like Nintendo.

Considering this is Nintendo, I think all you're going to be seeing in those "game-specific" streams is people from your friends list talking.

That's the solution to all the inevitable penises that will be drawn for every single game.

They were talking about it as a more global thing, bringing in content from both the world and your friends list.

I imagine there's probably going to have to be a toggle so that you can make it just your friends list.

You know, for parents that need to protect their children from crudely drawn penises.

I only saw bits and pieces, but none of what I saw looked interesting.

I'd play Dance Central 3, but I don't feel like rearranging my furniture just for one game. It's a great series, but I like the way my living room looks right now.

I feel like a jaded internet jerkbag coming down on it, but really, that seemed especially lame. Corporate presentations always suck, of course, and its weird that this E3 shit has become a public thing that regular people watch.

The Halo 4 reveal was pretty :tmeh:

Fable: The Journey looks awful.

The Forza reveal kind of falls flat without the context of it being a more arcade-style racer being developed by a bunch of ex-Bizarre guys. (You know, PGR.)

The Smart Glass thing might be something big, way too early to know.

Microsoft really wants you to experience the magic of Bing voice search.

Internet Explorer, heh.

All super, super boring stuff.

If E3 starts tomorrow, then what's been going on today? Pre-conference conference?

The conferences are split between the days usually. Watching the Microsfot one right now... I kind of just stopped caring after the last few years, I've heard the line "Never has been a better time" for the last 5 years yet I end up playing less and less games every year.... so E3 just might not be for me anymore.

edit: can anyone tell me the difference in gameplay between Splinter Cell, Tomb Raider, and Resident Evil? Didn't those use to be seperate games?

Watched the EA thingy... not really that interesting. In fact, quite annoyed by the PR buzz.

It's depressing and embarrassing. It all looks the same and it's uninteresting dudebro shit we've only seen 094tu6q[0t4uq43t times before. THE FUTURE OF VIDEO GAMES.

Although that MS Glass thingy might be cool. I like gadgets, but then I don't have an Xbox. I was only half-watching since I was doing something else, but is it a useful thing if you don't have an xbox?

It's not that surprising and, though a little depressing, this is the AAA big dollar show – there's still so much awesome indie stuff going on I'm not worried at all. I'm much more excited about Going Home, The Witness, Prison Architect or The Walking Dead games than I am about any of this E3 crap.

Maybe except for SimCity.

It's depressing and embarrassing. It all looks the same and it's uninteresting dudebro shit we've only seen 094tu6q[0t4uq43t times before. THE FUTURE OF VIDEO GAMES.

Although that MS Glass thingy might be cool. I like gadgets, but then I don't have an Xbox. I was only half-watching since I was doing something else, but is it a useful thing if you don't have an xbox?

They've touched on it a little with Halo Waypoint connectivity between 360 and WP7, a really nice idea, almost an expansion of the GBA and Windwaker connectivity. In games it's not going to add that much, but small cool things are just that.

Thanks Ubisoft. Thanks for making the most embarrassing SHIT I've ever seen at E3. Thank you for making me feel embarrassed for liking video games.

Thanks Ubisoft. Thanks for making the most embarrassing SHIT I've ever seen at E3. Thank you for making me feel embarrassed for liking video games.

I cant wait to see it, because after last year they really set the bar high/low.