Sign in to follow this  
Thompson

The Electronic Three: 2012

This thread is perhaps early, but let's talk about the upcoming E3 games conference.

What are you looking forward to? What do you expect and what do you not expect to be announced? Will Sony announce the PS4, Microsoft the 720, Nintendo the Horsebag? Will Valve finally talk about Half-Life 3 at E3?

Let's speculate wildly!

Well, Microsoft and Sony have both said they're not announcing new hardware this year, and Valve that they're not announcing anything new, so speculation would be FRUITLESS!

My predictions for the big three:

Big blow-out for the Wii-U, and probably a big confidence display about how much the 3DS has turned around.

Maybe an initial tease for the PS4/Orbis/whatever, but i think their emphasis will be on trying to salvage the Vita.

No 360-next, Microsoft will want all eyes on Halo 4. There's rumored to also be a reveal for a new tier of Live, so now you can pay more for the same thing you've already been paying too much for.

The Vita has been a huge flop, so expect some Sony spin and hyperbole on how it's going to turn around. From Microsoft I expect few interesting things. Nintendo might bring some surprising game announcements coinciding with the Wii U or whatever it'll be named, and to push the success of the 3DS even further.

We did a hilarious group watching of the keynotes last year, watching the IGN live stream or whatever it was. We should do it again, right?

We did a hilarious group watching of the keynotes last year, watching the IGN live stream or whatever it was. We should do it again, right?

That was great. I may be up for it again if I'm not doing a similar sort of thing with my buddies IRL.

IRL? What's that, another forum?

Internet Relay Locution.

What would be the medium of this 'group' 'watching', Skype or Messenger?

Steam!

Is 3DS actually selling good? Or am I just super idiotic and don't get your sarcasm?

It's selling extremely well!

After the price drop it sold very well and it's still going strong. Vita, on the other hand, is in the shitter and no one seems to care about it or talk about it.

Yeah, the 3DS has completely turned around. It's selling extremely well and the software is catching up fast, a lot of really excellent games came out on that hardware this year.

The price cut was so drastic that they're producing that hardware at a loss though, which is standard business for the other platform holders, but something Nintendo has never done. (It's something Nintendo can't really afford to do, with how narrow their interests are.)

The Wii has also totally imploded, it's just done. That thing is over.

So Nintendo took a massive hit this year, but it's expected that they'll be in the green again by next. (Unless the Wii U is a huge fiasco, who knows.)

Given the way the 3DS has recovered after everybody was so ready to declare it dead on arrival, i wouldn't be willing to count the Vita out quite yet, but Sony is going to have to do something drastic.

Losing Monster Hunter probably hurt them more than anything else, it basically lost them Japan. (Because, seriously, Monster Hunter is that important in Japan.)

I always tell myself I won't watch the conferences, because they're awful, boring, insulting and stupid. You get all you need to know in 5 minutes by reading a recap after the fact.

But then I get sucked in and suffer through them anyway.

I always tell myself I won't watch the conferences, because they're awful, boring, insulting and stupid. You get all you need to know in 5 minutes by reading a recap after the fact.

But then I get sucked in and suffer through them anyway.

Last years Steam get-together wasn't something to suffer through. It was wall-to-wall mocking of completely inept presenters and staged demonstrations. I'd be up for it again.

Yeah that was a good time, I'll almost certainly slap a stream of the conferences on and load up the Idle Thumbs Steam group chat again this year.

Definitely want to join in on the conference mockery again.

This is in Idle Banter because I clicked the wrong thing. :fart: If an admin could move it that'd be nice.

Well I'm glad you posted it here. For some reason I barely ever check the games bit of this games messageboard.

Mr. Caffeine

So glad I didn't catch that live, I literally cannot force myself to watch it for the first time, what little I've heard of it is just too uncomfortable.

When is this happening, anyway? I haven't really been paying attention.

E: I had forgotten about jazzhands doodledoo man.