Jake

Idle Thumbs Progresscast #12: The Progresscast Within

So public!

Idle Thumbs Progresscast The Twelfth One

The Progresscast goes one-time, rule-breakingly meta, as we discuss recent events in our own day jobs. With special guest Steve "Hot Scoops" Gaynor.

With Steve announcing a new game (and starting a new company!), Sean and Jake shipping the first episode of The Walking Dead, and Chris starting as the Community Manager at Double Fine, it seemed like it was one of the few good times to actually talk about ourselves and what we do when not recording Idle Thumbs. Enjoy, or dismiss, at your leasure. Thank you.

Note: This episode contains spoilers for the first episode of the Walking Dead game. If you haven't played it yet and are spoiler-averse, look out.

Read the full Kickstarter update.

Direct episode download.

Keep the RSS fed!

Edited by Jake

Mmmm, I love it when you whip it out in public. All those hot scoops everywhere...

Wait, Chris is the new CM at Double Fine? :eek:

[thread=8164]There has been a whole thread about this[/thread]

I really enjoyed this cast. Don't often get to hear you guys just chatting about your stuff, it's great to hear the enthusiasm and friendly banter about ideas.

Really, really great.

Also, yay.

At one point I thought I had slept through time and was listening to the book cast instead.

At one point I thought I had slept through time and was listening to the book cast instead.

I wish I could sleep through time and listen to the book cast.

hey Jake,

What were those sounds you were playing at the end from? Something about computer and business theme for something...

thx.

Hahah, I ninja skipped my iTunes forward through that part. My ears remain virginal to all things Walking Dead.

Thanks for spoiling Walking Dead:tdown:

We should probably just go ahead and say that if we ever talk about our own work (especially because Jake and I's is so narrative focused) it's probably going to be pretty spoilery.

Furthemore, and we'll mention this on the book-cast, those episodes are going to be nothing BUT spoilers in that we will talk about every aspect of the book, assuming ya'll have read it. If not, and I don't mean to be snarky, but hit that pause button -- it's pretty rare that we'll start talking about a game or anything for that matter and without warning blurt out: SHE DIES IN THE END OH MAN SHE DIES! By which I mean we're not trying to lure you in so we can spoil stuff; it just comes out when you're having a discussion of any meaningful criticism.

It was fun hearing you guys talk about designing Walking Dead. It's funny, I assumed the girl wasn't black and thought it was weird everyone kept asking me if she was my daughter. I though everyone was just being very awkwardly overtly opinionated in a way that is different from me, or something, making sure not to give off the impression that they thought the couldn't be the father of the girl just because they weren't the same color.

Turns out I'M THE RACIST HERE! :fart:

I just have to say that this might be one of the best pods I've heard you guys cast. I mean, the Phaedrus Family is great and all, but I always had to cringe if my girlfriend was around while Idle Thumbs was in rape-and-poop mode. I played some snatches of this for her today and she was almost won over just listening to Sean talk about dealing with otherness and privilege as issues that games can and should explore.

I know you guys are really hesitant to discuss on air the games you make rather than play, whether because of professional concerns or a desire not to appear self-involved, but it was a really great experience for me that I hope happens again.

I'm also checking out Cloud Atlas from my school's library, which I'll be keeping around for the next year or so until it gets discussed on the book cast, courtesy of my status as venerable grad student.

"Revolves around an interesting plot which will keep you spell-bound" is right up there with IGN.com quotes. Kudos, Wal-Mart.

By the way, bonus points to Sean for "non-critical brain." I liked that statement so much.

Ok, now I got wary, should I skip on this episode until I've play WD? Keeping in mind that while something being spoiled isn't complete ruination for me, I still have the kind of brain that is like "oh, is this what they were talking about with that thing, or was it the other thing?".

And if so, is there a part I can skip?

Yeah, there's major spoilers for the end of the first Walking Dead episode, but it's contained to the section where they're discussing the game, so you can just skip that part. (I'd go look up the timestamps for you but I'm at work with no sound.)

This was a great cast. I enjoy to hear things discussed and handled with a level of maturity that might surprise you. Makes me think of San Francisco as a Mecca of tolerance and decency, which is kind of the opposite of DC.

This was a great cast. I enjoy to hear things discussed and handled with a level of maturity that might surprise you. Makes me think of San Francisco as a Mecca of tolerance and decency, which is kind of the opposite of DC.

I used to live in the Bay Area. You may have the wrong perspective.

I used to live in the Bay Area. You may have the wrong perspective.

I would definitely draw a hard line between "the Bay Area" and San Francisco proper. I've lived in lots of different places and would say that SF, the city, is home to some of the most thoughtful, diverse and generally just decent people I've ever met. I wouldn't say the same for rural counties or suburbs, although I believe you can find great people anywhere.

But being a bigot in SF makes you the minority. You're an out of touch loser here. You have to be kind of curious to live in a city like this because you're going to meet people you don't understand and be in a place that gets better and better the more you dig around and explore.

That being said, don't move here. Stay out. Rent is high enough already.

I will say that I suspect if you're someone with conservative views, San Francisco probably seems a whole lot less inclusive and tolerant. I don't have much sympathy for someone who is ostracized due to being bigoted, as Sean suggests, but I imagine a lot of people with legitimate and thoughtful conservative viewpoints probably don't find this city a place where their opinions are generally received with commensurate thoughtfulness and tolerance.

Despite being a strong liberal myself, I find that state of affairs pretty unfortunate, because there are definitely components of this city (such as its municipal government) that I think would be dramatically improved by a bit more balance.

Also, I should clarify, when I say "don't move here," I mean "I think this is the greatest city on the planet and will expound on it's many virtues (one being it's tolerant and interesting people) but don't want any of my lauds to influence anyone to move here because rent is high and the more people who realize SF is awesome, the worse it's gonna get."

Not "don't move here, jerk."

That being said, don't move here. Stay out. Rent is high enough already.

I was going to say that it can't possibly be higher than DC's, but it somehow is. What the hell.

Also, great podcast guys, looking forward to more of this stuff in the future.

And congrats to Sean and Jake, sounds like the Walking Dead is selling really well too.