ThunderPeel2001

Broken Age - Double Fine Adventure!

I didn't get that email. Maybe they're still working off their old email lists from the Kickstarter and not based on Humble Bundle accounts? I've changed my email address since the Kickstarter happened.

You could try updating your Kickstarter backer info.  Can you still access your old email?  Maybe its in there.

You could try updating your Kickstarter backer info.  Can you still access your old email?  Maybe its in there.

No, sadly. The host has disappeared into the great black hole of the internet.

That said, I'm guessing the 'Beta' only gives it out a day in advance. Steam should just update with Part 2 tomorrow, right? I'll just have to find some other way of entertaining myself tonight.

No, sadly. The host has disappeared into the great black hole of the internet.

That said, I'm guessing the 'Beta' only gives it out a day in advance. Steam should just update with Part 2 tomorrow, right? I'll just have to find some other way of entertaining myself tonight.

Yeah, today is the early backer release.  The general public release is supposed to be tomorrow so it'll be out there.

Just wrapped up act 2 and I enjoyed it overall but I can see why reviews are a little mixed. Act 2 mostly just builds off the story setup in Act 1 and doesn't really introduce anything new plotwise except for a fun extra twist at the start. Nothing that compares to the plot twist at the end of Act 1. 

They made an effort to make the puzzles harder and I mostly appreciated that but some of the puzzles were overly frustrating and difficult to understand, I particularly disliked the knot untying puzzle, I basically save scummed to solve it, not sure if I was missing something there or it was really that obtuse. Also some of the puzzle flow was frustrating in some areas where you are presented with several objectives but you can only complete them in a certain order because you won't have the items you need yet.

But despite my complaints it was mostly fun to revisit the world and characters here and get a little more Double Fine adventure game. 

I'll second that part 2 feels a lot harder so far. We're stuck only four screeens in on Vella and kind of lost on Shay as well.

The stupid thing about difficulty in adventure games is that it's so hard to tell whether you're missing an item or missing a mental jump.

The difficulty is shame, I really enjoyed the snappy pace of the first part but now it's getting held back by puzzles. I do appreciate that I'm not a huge fan of adventure games for this reason but after being pleasantly surprised with the first part I was hoping it'd be similar in the second part.

As far as I understand it, Double Fine polled the backers, who found the puzzles too easy; they felt that they "had permission" to ramp up the puzzle difficulty

oh wow, Act 2 is on iPad?

I assumed it would be a few months off and i'd have to pay for the second act, BUT i think they've just updated the app so now i have the whole game :tup: NICE

I assumed it would be a few months off and i'd have to pay for the second act, BUT i think they've just updated the app so now i have the whole game :tup: NICE

Amazing, had no idea as well. Will buy to play with my girlfriend, she doesn't have a console or gaming PC and was crazy to see how Vella story will end.

Ahhhh, as I had assumed act 2 would've been a separate paid for chapter, I deleted the app (and my save) off the iPad when I needed to clear some space.

And it doesn't look like you can skip to act 2 either :-/ no big whoop, I probably would've needed a recap anyway

Even though Act 2 has some harder puzzles than Act 1, I wouldn't say that it's dramatically more difficult. I don't think it's on the level of difficulty as classic adventure games. It's just that the puzzles have a few more moving pieces and you have a few more options to explore before finding the solution.

Well it is of course subjective but personally I've found the puzzles a lot harder (I'm not sure harder is really the correct word though). My measure is use of walkthroughs, in act 1 I think I used them once for a very minor thing (which I think was just something I hadn't spotted could be interacted with) but in act 2 which I've not finished yet I've used walkthroughs half a dozen times.

As I've conceded already though I'm not a big adventure game player so I'm not complaining about it, I'm not the target audience.

I don't think I've seen a simultaneous release on this many platforms. They managed to publish on 8 different platforms all within hours of each other. My inner nerd is super impressed.

The stupid thing about difficulty in adventure games is that it's so hard to tell whether you're missing an item or missing a mental jump.

Pretty much!

I don't think of myself as being particularly good at figuring out adventure game logic. I saw so many people reporting how obtuse the puzzles are in Act 2 that I was really bracing myself for some frustration going in, but I ended up getting through the whole thing pretty quickly and with minimal headaches. All in all, I thought it did a great job balancing the difficulty with just enough hints to push you in the right direction.

I guess that's the problem with making these kinds of puzzles- the sweet spot is going to be different for every player, and there's no way to please everyone. It ended up being perfectly balanced for me, but it looks like I'm in the minority.

Am I dumb, how do you start part two?  I don't have an ending save from part one, my deepest save is during the final part, and I don't remember exactly what wad done by that point.  I had assumed it would just have a save at the very end. 

I just pressed 'continue' at the main menu and it placed me at the start of act 2. If that wasn't an option then maybe you have to play it through to the credits again.

I just pressed 'continue' at the main menu and it placed me at the start of act 2. If that wasn't an option then maybe you have to play it through to the credits again.

Yeah, I had to play through the final 10 minutes or so again for some reason, not sure exactly what happened.

I didn't even have Broken Age installed on my desktop until two days ago.  Hopefully I have a cloud save and won't have to replay Part 1 (although I don't really mind doing that anyway).

DF are recommending people replay Act 1 to properly enjoy the storytelling in 2.

I had a very snippy comment to write about that, but I'll just say no thanks.

Yeah, I don't particularly have any interest in replaying part 1 right now, I've got a pretty good memory of everything that happened in it.

DF are recommending people replay Act 1 to properly enjoy the storytelling in 2.

But what if you have a working memory and still know what happened in act 1?