ThunderPeel2001

Broken Age - Double Fine Adventure!

Yeah, I'm a bit curious about this as beta vs final release. Is it just bug squashing and localization? Or are their polish/graphic effects still to be added. I don't mind dealing with bugs, but I'd like the full AV package.

You're getting the full package, it's just to check for compatibility bugs.

Seems like a non-issue. Despite the wording, it comes across as obvious to me that the intent is no 'proper' reviews go up based on the backer beta.

I'd imagine that your average bastard on Idle Bums or a WordPress blog isn't their concern and will be overlooked. The real target is likely some Destructoid writer who thinks he can circumvent the embargo by writing a review based on his personal backer version.

Of course there's only so lightly you can put this kind of legal bollocks. I doubt Double Fine has suddenly decided to become evil.

Just got my Steam key! First impressions:

Seriously though, can't wait to play it. I have avoided all the video diaries, but seen an occasional video here and there. Basically, I know what the game looks like as well as some of the cast, but not much else. 

I doubt Double Fine has suddenly decided to become evil.

Well, they did hire Remo...

I see people playing it, but I haven't received anything yet. I guess I'll wait until tomorrow until I ask D to the F what is up with that.

It was totally under "claim past purchases" at the top of my humble bundle library thing. Sweet! I need to lern how 2 rad.

IT HAS BEGUN!

Downloading, not going to be able to play until tonight. 

The email came from Humble, and the server crashed on me twice redeeming it, so there may be some delays in getting all the emails out.

I think I might seriously wait to play this when I get my boxed copy. If not then, then at least by the time part 2 is done. Went ahead and activated it and downloaded the soundtrack though.

Argh, it's too late for me to start play this game over here, instead of playing for a few minutes I'd rather start tomorrow. Steam is constantly teasing me with the news of everybody else playing it. :|

I just finished the first part of the boy's story, I think.

Embargo just lifted. I guess everyone can now get their Let's Play videos out and cash in their Youtube ad money for playing the newest game.

Downloaded. Steam says I've played ~80 minutes. I've mainly been playing the girls side.

The writing is charming, the art is great, and the voice work is as-expected for the stelar cast and Double Fine's VO pedigree.

Unfortunately I've been playing for ~80 minutes and I haven't once felt stuck... for even a moment. This is a big deal; I need to feel stuck in an adventure game *at least a little bit* in order to feel like I'm figuring something out. So far in Broken Age I'm simply going from screen to screen, doing what it seems like I should be doing and watching the story progress as a result. I've even had moments where I realize there was a puzzle after I solved it. It's simply too streamlined, which is a very modern problem for a video game.

I'm not necessarily disappointed. I honestly anticipated that the game would have this problem, and I'm enjoying the game for its presentation alone. Also, who knows, maybe the game opens up and gets trickier! It's much too soon to say.

Finished Act 1 and really enjoyed it. The presentation is excellent and I'm into the story and can't wait to find out what happens in Act 2. 

I agree that Act 1 is pretty easy. I think Tim said that he wants Act 2 to be harder in one of the documentary episodes. The only times I kind of got stuck were when the solution was actually simplest thing possible.

The game definitely feels polished already. I noticed a few minor graphical glitches and the game currently doesn't support surround sound well. But it's certainly fine to play it now, nothing that makes me wish I waited an extra two weeks.

That was a good act one of a video game and I want act two now please.

Definitely too easy but well it's only the first half of the game so.

I guess since everyone else says it's too easy, it's shameful that I can't find Vella's mom's fuckin' knife in the first puzzle.

Edit: ah ha ha ha, I was being too generous with the cupcake.

I finished Vella's portion.  I'm finding this game really charming and I'm enjoying just sitting back and taking everything in.  I'm rarely using the double click or skipping cutscenes, even ones I've seen before.

I don't really care about the difficulty levels, but I do wish some elements of the game had taken note of the progress made since adventure games went out of fashion. For example: clicking on the same object twice should produce different lines of dialogue or none at all. Repeated audio cues realllly takes me out of the experience and feels avoidable. Which is a shame because the rest presentation really is excellent. Love the voice work and the general aesthetic.

Another thing that bothered me was the stilted nature of the dialogue trees. Mass Effect Fallout even Walking Dead all proved that it's way more interesting to be able to choose what you're going to say next while the person is answering the first question. I don't think the same dialogue system that worked for Monkey Island can work here. It makes conversations feel super unnatural. (Maybe monkey island got away with it because it didn't use audio)

I'm a stupid baby who would have appreciated a "looks like you're stuck, here's a hint" system if, for example, I hang around

outside the airlock

for 10 minutes with no idea what to do next.

aaaaaaag fucking navscarf

Gosh this game is just gorgeous. Prettiest game since Brothers.

The writing is just amazing. The spoon's dialogue made me laugh a ton. Playing through this with my wife has been immensely enjoyable so far.

Wow.... Just, wow. I'm so glad I backed this and I'm so glad I didn't wait for part 2...

Was Shay EVER in space? Is those "Boom Boom hands" were really the tentacles grabbing the girls from each village, then space parts must have been an illusion, not to mention he would have noticed the monstrous exterior. But it does add up, the first high alert is when Vella escapes and the second one is when Vella is on the offensive.

I really hope Act II clears up the mysteries. If it happens every 14 years, does this mean the ship has new kid for "Marek" to trick? Wait, they are different monsters each time right... I really hope the ship isn't using them as fuel. I guess some of you probably know from the documentaries, but I want to find it out on my own.

The game didn't really capture me initially. But now I've completed act 1 I'm intrigued.

Also, I found a psychonauts reference: the smelling salt.

Got about an hour into it last night.  It's funny, pretty, and charming.  I hope I warm up more to it though, it hasn't really hooked me yet into buying into the world.  Which is not usually a problem I have with DF games.