ThunderPeel2001

Broken Age - Double Fine Adventure!

Day of the Devs was great! I saw a guy in an idle thumbs shirt and said "that's a great shirt!!! you are the best!!!" and he said "yeah," and went over to look at SpyParty.

lol

Hmm, I'm a bit behind in the documentary. I should get on that, but there's so much recorded stupidity from Extra Life to watch as well.

I'm baffled by the positive reactions (or at least baffled at the difference of reaction, compared to reaction to Double Fine's decision) to the recent news that Broken Sword 5 is coming out in two parts. They're effectively doing exactly the same as Double Fine, except they're going to charge people for both parts separately (if you aren't a backer.) Yet Double Fine catches huge amounts of flak for it (even still, at lot of articles about BS5 mention DF's decision in passing) but everyone goes "Ah, well.. We're just getting two big games instead of one, blah blah.." when hearing the BS5 news. Bleh!

Maybe it's because Double Fine did it first and by the time Broken Sword did it, we understood it better and got why it had to be done? Or maybe DF has more rabid fans? 

Frankly, I don't care at all about the Broken Sword thing... If I even buy it, it will be when it's on sale anyway. :P

Yeah, I guess.. But some articles about the Broken Sword thing still mention Double Fine's failure to do the same. Which makes no sense to me, at all.

And don't get me wrong, I don't think what Revolution are doing is a negative thing at all. It just seems like everyone thinks Double Fine are now making a lesser game because they were open about how they planned ahead to not run out of money..

Ugh.. sorry about this. Just annoys me when I hear misinformation about how DF ran out of money, when they obviously didn't..

Part of it is that the two episodes are being released a month apart, as 'full' games. People have a very weird relationship to 'full' games that is mostly bullshit - see also how antsy people get about the existence of DLC for a game, even if it's not something that the developers expect every player to buy, and in particular how antsy they get when the content for the DLC is on the disk.

Hah, yeah. Basically, Double Fine didn't PR spin this out their ass like Charles Cecil is doing now, and people are buying his "two full games!" bullshit.

"We just made so much game, it was hard to contain in just one package!"

Sorry for being irrationally annoyed by all of this. I don't care about Broken Sword (because I can't get past the visuals) but it just feels like the press collectively decided that being open about development was a shit idea and decided to punish Double Fine for it..

We're allowed to discuss the new casting now, right? I like all the choices!

You mean that guy for Star Wars and the Bilbo Baggins dude? Could be interesting.

A part of the The Internet seems to be upset that Will Wheaton is joining the voice cast... But is Elijah Wood confirmed? 

I'd hate to say it, but I'm more on the side of professional voice actors over celebrity voice actors.

From what I heard of it so far, Elijah Wood is doing a pretty great job voicing the boy character.

Yep, both choices are excellent, judging from the videos. And Jack Black from the earlier videos is equally splendid. All the cast choices I've heard so far are brilliant.

David Kaufman as Marek does steal the show, though. Holy shit!

Hah, yeah. Basically, Double Fine didn't PR spin this out their ass like Charles Cecil is doing now, and people are buying his "two full games!" bullshit.

"We just made so much game, it was hard to contain in just one package!"

Sorry for being irrationally annoyed by all of this. I don't care about Broken Sword (because I can't get past the visuals) but it just feels like the press collectively decided that being open about development was a shit idea and decided to punish Double Fine for it..

Double Fine also prefaced their announcement with several documentary updates that seemed to indicate that project was going terribly awry whereas Charles Cecil came out of the blue and announced "Hey, we're doing it in two parts, and the first one is almost done."  The Broken Sword "Part One" is releasing before the DFA Part One, despite the kickstarter launching six months later.  It may effectively be the same thing, but the messaging and perception were totally different.

I checked out Elijah Wood's twitter stream the other day, and it was the craziest stream of retweets you can imagine. Also, a bunch of video game stuff, including Campo Santo, which is cool.

A part of the The Internet seems to be upset that Will Wheaton is joining the voice cast... But is Elijah Wood confirmed? 

I'd hate to say it, but I'm more on the side of professional voice actors over celebrity voice actors.

Wil Wheaton's actually got a bunch of voice acting credits, so it's not stunt casting.

Anyway I guess this is where all that money went! Into an amazing cast.

Somehow I doubt that they're paying them a lot.

Seeing Elijah Wood in that VGX segment made me like him a lot more than I used to.  He gave the impression of being a pretty alright guy, and this is way different than slapping Patrick Stewart or whoever in your game to phone it in.  All of these guys are clearly excited about the game and want to be involved, Elijah Wood especially.  His narration of the new trailer was excellent, and it seems like a great fit.

Yeah, in the last episode Khris, the voice director, specifically mentions that their voice budget is the smallest she's ever worked on. So she picks the ones that love doing it and won't mind a smaller paycheck.

I very much like everything I've heard and seen about this game so far. Well, except the part about it taking longer to make, but hey whatever.

This cast is great and sounds great and awesome yay.

The development is going on for 1.5+ years (closing in on 2), on a 3.3M budget. So I doubt that the voice actors get a premium cut.

I'm baffled by the positive reactions (or at least baffled at the difference of reaction, compared to reaction to Double Fine's decision) to the recent news that Broken Sword 5 is coming out in two parts. They're effectively doing exactly the same as Double Fine, except they're going to charge people for both parts separately (if you aren't a backer.) Yet Double Fine catches huge amounts of flak for it (even still, at lot of articles about BS5 mention DF's decision in passing) but everyone goes "Ah, well.. We're just getting two big games instead of one, blah blah.." when hearing the BS5 news. Bleh!

I think the people complaining about Double Fine's two parts are really complaining that the second part isn't expected to finish until 2015.

Unless I'm missing part of the story, Double Fine backers were backing a project that had an estimated delivery of October 2012... the game will be 2.5-3 years late when it's done.

The Broken sword cutting in half is affecting backers by only a one extra month wait, on a project that was only 6 months late at the start.

I think the people complaining about Double Fine's two parts are really complaining that the second part isn't expected to finish until 2015.

When did they say that?  I thought the second part was coming out around May or something.

Yeah, they've said part two will be in 2014. Probably May but I'm not sure they've officially locked down a date.

Also when the Kickstarter broke out I think they were pretty clear about revising their initial estimate. The game would've been done in October 2012 if they only had $400,000 dollars to do it. With $3,000,000 dollars I imagine it would've even been hard to spend all that money within that small a time frame.