ThunderPeel2001

Broken Age - Double Fine Adventure!

Wait... don't...

I've got more of those bad jokes.

(Just to clarify in case anyone actually isn't sure: Yes, the game will be voice acted.)

I seem to recall reading somewhere that John Lithgow was somehow connected, did I dream that?

The art looks gorgeous, which does not align or fail to align with my expectations because I did not have any one way or another, and I'm not a backer! If John Lithgow is connected in reality and not just in a dream world then I suppose I ought to have backed it.

Oh noes, no one is answering! I hope I didn't accidentally leak sensitive backer-only info.

post-5974-0-76051300-1365171361.png

Oh noes, no one is answering! I hope I didn't accidentally leak sensitive backer-only info.

attachicon.gifleek.png

I'm a backer too and I don't remember anything about John Lithgow being mentioned.

Yeah, I don't think John Lithgow is attached. But man, that would be awesome.

Has there been any update recently? It seems like ages since the previous episode.

There was a project update recently, but other than the videos around the launch trailer, nothing.

They posted a brief project on Friday that covered what everyone had done for the week so far. I think the plan going forward is to post similar updates on a weekly basis or so. Although honestly I don't think it should be necessary. People are too impatient.

Today's update, the making of the Broken Age teaser trailer, somehow has me more excited about that game than anything else. Seeing how they handle the realtime lighting in that game was the most flooring combination of impressive and impressively simple. Double Fine!! Fuck.

Heh.. speaking of the devil. The lighting trick is indeed quite awesome.

I wonder again if I should watch these episodes. I think the last one I saw was episode 4 or 5. I want to avoid even a slightest whiff of spoilage.

I think they did do quite a good job in making the episodes spoiler free. It's really mostly about creating the game, and barely about the game itself.

I wonder again if I should watch these episodes. I think the last one I saw was episode 4 or 5. I want to avoid even a slightest whiff of spoilage.

They definitely have at least slight whiffs of spoilage. If you want to go completely blackout on the game, then you'll have to leave the doc 'til later.

Decided to watch the latest one anyway. Yeah, at least some environments are spoiled. I will maybe watch a few more, or leave for later.

The new documentary episode is up! A couple of times where I had to avert my eyes, because I saw beautiful, beautiful spoilers. What a load of uninformed nerd rage concerning their decision to split the game into 2 parts, by the way. Really frustrating to watch.

They aren't splitting the game, right?  It sounds like they're just pre-releasing part of it to get a little more cash.

They aren't splitting the game, right?  It sounds like they're just pre-releasing part of it to get a little more cash.

no they are just releasing the first act early on steam's early access to make more money to finish it off, if they did split the game i think there would be justified nerd rage, but because you get the whole thing the rage is either misinformed or impatient 

I do like the Today's Gaming Drama tumblr.

Although honestly I think it's a bit bullshit that a company of apparent professionals can't allocate their resources effectively when they've known they had scoping problems for six months now. I don't know how you get into a position where you have to cut 75% of the content without some real incompetence going on somewhere in the project management, and based on the documentary videos I think that has to be laid at Tim's feet.

I think it's really unfair on the other teams in Double Fine that income from the company that they could have used is going to fund something that should have been fully funded had Tim been more realistic about what his team was able to achieve with the time and resources they had.

But I mean they were upfront from the beginning that this was a distinct probability, so I'm not feeling ripped off or anything, and I knew going in that Double Fine had a reputation for not quite being able to finish their games. I wanted the documentaries, I got documentaries, this is the deal that was promised.

It's definitely a planning disaster and goes some way towards explaining how Double Fine's AAA releases both ended up in financing bother.

That said, I'm not upset because while Schafer's games have historically gone way over budget (and that includes Grim Fandango), the end result is often tremendous. I'm willing to wait for that, especially when it's a god damn adventure game.

I'd love to see a developer like Double Fine have pretty much carte blanche like Valve, but in the real world I guess they'll have to settle for stretching the rules as much as possible with big releases and keeping things flowing with smaller releases.

Unless they eventually come across a killer hit that sets them up for life of course.