ThunderPeel2001

Broken Age - Double Fine Adventure!

(they aren't using Unity though right?)
They use Moai with some tools by their in-house toolmakers (yeah, I totally know what I'm talking about) for better allowing the artists, writers, people to put stuff into the game, see how it works, and change it without a programmer sitting on their shoulder.

I mean, go read the Programming Updates in the forums, written by programming-folk - they know how to use them fancy words.

I echo everything already said in this thread. This documentary series in fantastic, and this episode was great. I don't work in games, but I do work in development, and I can completely relate to the cold-water project management mode.

I finally got my stuff! The poster is a great print, very solid, the T-Shirt fits nicely (it is quite long though - it's like American men have very long upper bodies, or they just prefer it that way, those silly people), button, sticker - this made my day.

I kind of want to give Lee Petty a hug. I mean, obviously documentaries are all about taking a whole bunch of stuff and constructing a narrative and characters out of them, so I'm referring to the "character" of Lee Petty, such as it's presented in these episodes, who really comes across as the unsung hero, the poor guy who has to do the boring but necessary logistical work of actually making sure the game gets made while the "visionaries" of Tim & Bagel get front-and-center attention. I realize that the reality is of course rather different and much more complicated.

I kind of want to give Lee Petty a hug. I mean, obviously documentaries are all about taking a whole bunch of stuff and constructing a narrative and characters out of them, so I'm referring to the "character" of Lee Petty, such as it's presented in these episodes, who really comes across as the unsung hero, the poor guy who has to do the boring but necessary logistical work of actually making sure the game gets made while the "visionaries" of Tim & Bagel get front-and-center attention. I realize that the reality is of course rather different and much more complicated.

Lee is a legit fucking game development hero. The guy is possibly the single most talented in-the-trenches game developer I've ever worked with. That's saying something, having worked at Irrational and Double Fine and being surrounded by many people incalculably more talented than I am. Lee can basically do anything on a game, while being a great manager and a humble guy, and he makes everyone else look like a total scrub. It's unfair.

Let's all buy Lee a cake.

"See- now you're calling her Suicide Girl too."

"Yeah."

"Why is everyone doing that, her name is Sacrifice Girl."

"I know Tim."

This is most probably a very long shot, but does any of you Thumbs happen to be stuck with a male S-size Backer shirt but would like to have an M? For me it's the other way around, I thought M would be my size, but it's a bit too big, so I'd like to swap.

This is most probably a very long shot, but does any of you Thumbs happen to be stuck with a male S-size Backer shirt but would like to have an M? For me it's the other way around, I thought M would be my size, but it's a bit too big, so I'd like to swap.

You could always try putting on some weight.

Oof, a tough watch. Tim's message is definitely worth reading after the vid, though, it clarifies a couple of important things.

What surprised me most is that, despite a first evaluation that was about 45% off target (they need 1 more million and Greg Rice stated they were working with 2.2 million last April), they are reevaluating the cost based on 'aggressive projections' (Isa Stamos says something along these lines) which means that they are planning for the best.

Wouldn't it make more sense at that point, given the deviation, to plan for the worse and work with very conservative estimates?

I was a slacker backer and haven't bothered watching the production episodes yet. Now that all of this has gone down I plan on logging in and checking out what they've had posted so far. Should make for a pretty good Christmas eve marathon.

Broken Age is the official title of Double Fine Adventure

1364141652-broken-age-key-art2.jpg

http://brokenagegame.com/

About Broken Age

Broken Age is a point-and-click adventure telling the stories of a young boy and girl leading parallel lives. The girl has been chosen by her village to be sacrificed to a terrible monster--but she decides to fight back. Meanwhile, a boy on a spaceship is living a solitary life under the care of a motherly computer, but he wants to break free to lead adventures and do good in the world. Adventures ensue.