ThunderPeel2001

Broken Age - Double Fine Adventure!

I haven't read a single thread on the Double Fine Adventure forums. Should I? Will I miss any of the rewards if I don't go there? I don't really care about having early access to the game or documentary -- like Toblix, I'd prefer to experience it all when it's polished and released.

YES!

There's one thread that you should follow, at least. This one:

http://www.doublefin...iewthread/6794/

Also: The documentary is being designed to be spoiler free, and it's brilliant so far. Well worth your time.

Note: Episode 2 of the documentary isn't posted there yet. Not sure why.

Yeah, the latest episode really hit a nerve with me. I've been in similar situations before in creative projects, and being in Lee Petty's position can be so frustrating. You're just as ambitious as everyone else, only you're trying to be realistic and therefore will always feel like a creative killjoy.

How's that BTDT remake coming, BigJKO? You should pretty much be finished by now, right?

I'm really happy that they captured the moment when Schafer's clarifies that Bagel's style doesn't only mean is rendering but his imaginary universe too.

That's a huge shift in my opinion, and it's very interesting that it took so long for that creative direction to be clearly articulated and communicated - at least if the doc makes a good depiction of what happened.

In that context, Lee Petty is damn right to be so concerned: if Bagel's style is his main contribution, then he would mostly be involved toward the end of the art chain; but if his universe needs to fuel the game, then he needs to also be involved heavily at the beginning of all things, where he can influence puzzle design, story flow, etc...

That's the kind of surprise change that would make artistic directors and producers flip tables; so kudos to Lee Petty's for staying cool headed and coming up on the spot with ways to allow some of that to happen.

I want to believe that the point of having such a small, experienced team is to allow for such complete reversal; but given their release date and the amount of stuff they seem to be planning for, it'd be surprising if they went ahead with it.

If they do, I hope the ways they are coping with that will be documented because it would be priceless.

Is there a limit to how much backers are «allowed» to discuss the documentary outside of the backer forums? Also, I really liked the last episode.

Is there a limit to how much backers are «allowed» to discuss the documentary outside of the backer forums? Also, I really liked the last episode.

Mh, as there is the option to slackerback The Adventure now, I'd say all talk (and no show) is allowed, to water the mouths of the undecided, to lure them in.

Glad the thread is back - I wanted to talk about DFA, but the backer forums are a strange place with strange people, I prefer the silly thumbs-folk.

Besides the fact that I seem to be one of the unlucky few whose reward-shippment got lost somehow - Fangamer is sorting that out right now - this whole experiences is one of the best internet/game-things ever for me. The documentary is great, the input in the forums by the DF and 2PP people is very interesting, the game seems cool. I'm happy!

And yeah, the last episode was tense, even kind of hard to watch from a fan's perspective - Mr Remo as comic relief notwithstanding. Nonetheless very much appreciated that they show those sides as well.

lol yeah this sure was the scary episode!

The reminder that using other people's time will drain a finite resource named "money" is terrifying. That guy wants to keep working but can't! It's a bummer for both parites!

and yeah I laughed at Chris, what a goon

I'm loving this. :tup:

It's so much awesome, and offers so much learning material for indies,

How's that BTDT remake coming, BigJKO? You should pretty much be finished by now, right?

IT'S IMPOSSIBLE!

Fun story: I backed DFA but never watched any of the backer-only videos (the video solution KS uses for backer-only videos doesn't work correctly for me). I feel guilty every time I get an e-mail about it because I've been too lazy to follow-up.

Yeah, I paid for the HD downloads but still haven't watched a single one. I'll get around to it one day. At this point, I'm considering watching them AFTER playing the game as kind of a bonus feature.

I wouldn't say the videos are spoiler-free, though I guess it depends on how you define spoiler. They've said what the premise of the game is, and we've seen a lot of art and some specific scenes from the game. If you're hyper allergic to knowing anything about the game, you probably shouldn't watch the videos.

But they're great, so you should watch them.

I only watched 3 first episodes I think, but I kind of like knowing very little about the project and being surprised when it comes out. But on the other hand, I'm sure the videos are intresting and I am tempted to watch more of them. The backer forums is something I have no interest in, though.

So far the documentary has been quite light on the content of the game, you only get some teasers once in a while. It's mostly about the creation process itself.

The most recent episode gave some teasers, and I have absolutely no idea where this game is going.

I think they (2Player and DF) keep the game content very low in the documentary on purpose.

Here's the secret: They're showing everything about the game in red box-man prototypes and in the lumberjack-dude prototype.

That way they're showing everything about the game and how it's getting made, without a single picture of the main characters. A lot of the concept art they're showing is stuff that's getting rejected by Tim also, so they're being very smart about what they're showing, even though they're showing SO MUCH!

I agree with whoever said this is the best documentary about game development ever. It's SO GREAT. You are 100% missing out on something cool if you're not watchin em.

It is terrifying to see how Lee Petty and the art team are all freaking out, while Schafer is sabotaging them with grand ideas like an unreasonable client, as if unaware of how much money they have to work with. :tup: Scary how fast they seem to have to work to make effective use of the money—and that it is everyone except for Tim who seems to be minding the budget.

I'm also excited that Peter McConnell is on board for the music. I dunno if his name was previously mentioned in the context of the project.

Yeah, Schafer talking about how they'd "figure out" a way to get Bagel to produce both final artwork and concept art sort of freaked me out in a what-reality-does-Tim-Schafer-inhabit sort of way.

When Lee Petty was going over whether or not the 3D bones for the 2D drawings was going to entail more work, that actually dawned upon me that maybe it's never that obvious when people suggest the 2.5D stuff. I know Unity (they aren't using Unity though right?) is not very friendly to sprite animations or large scale graphics unless you are on certain newer devices, which makes the talk about the monster scaling up at one huge size and having way too many bones very painful to think about. It's kind of an older limit that has crept back that a lot of modern players don't tend to consider, myself included, so I completely understand the situation when Tim is thrown off by the solutions presented.

I think you're being too hard on the Shafes. Yeah, it *seems* like he's the cause of a lot of problems, but actually he's also the reason why the game will be great (in theory). He's been in the industry long enough, and been in enough development roles, to know where he can apply pressure and get away with it. He's well aware of what he's asking, but he's also remaining optimistic that his team is bright enough to figure out a solution to the problems he's presented.

Making games is hard. Making an amazing game is downright brutal. We're seeing some of that brutality.

Of course, I could be totally wrong (Brutal Legend went massively over budget in the end, didn't it?), but it's interesting to see someone put art over logistics.

Whatever the outcome, it's a fascinating ride!

(they aren't using Unity though right?)

they said they were going to open source the tech, so probably not unity