Sign in to follow this  
Thompson

Survey

Hey, I'm conducting a little survey for a school project, if you guys could fill one out I'd be super grateful.

It's 6 short questions, you don't need an account, it's totally anonymous and won't store your IP.

Survey.

Done. Can I expect the FBI at my doorstep in a minute?

Whoops, guess you can tell what I answered now :getmecoat

I can't! I don't have any way to tell who said what when. As I said, 100% anonymous.

FBI are on their way.

Done as well.

Can you maybe elaborate on the nature of the school project, I don't know, what is the point, or your point on the matter? Just curious. Oh, and not for the sake of argument, I do not want to argue about piracy on the internet! (At least the intellectual property kind.)

It's an IT project where I'm creating a website investigating the issues and possible solutions surrounding piracy; this survey will provide data on internet users' opinions on and experiences with piracy.

Gone ahead and gon' done it.

Done.

I also fully support your choice of topic (if it was yours, that is), actually important one to be discussed openly afaik.

The results so far are pretty interesting, too.

Done. If possible, it'd be really interesting to see some of the write-in answers you get as well.

Done, with most of my answers agreeing with the majority.

I'm pretty amused by the number of people that said "Definitely" to "Do you think people would pirate less with _____"

I might just be really cynical in regards to that.

I'm pretty amused by the number of people that said "Definitely" to "Do you think people would pirate less with _____"

Well, I know for a fact that people around me would pirate less if it was easier to get things legally, so unless other people started pirating more to counteract that (which would be absurd), people would definitely pirate less on average. To be honest I don't really understand how you could think people wouldn't pirate less.

Just note though, that obviously not every person who pirates would change their habits. What I'm saying is that some would, and others wouldn't start pirating more as a response to things being easier to buy. So it's basically certain that the average rate of piracy would go down.

The survey will close at 3PM PST on the 16th of May. At that time I will be creating graphs and charts to represent the data and collating the write-in responses. Once all that's done I'll be more than happy to share the responses. People have been writing pretty involved stuff.

I think Steam, GoG, Kickstarter and Bandcamp (first examples that came to mind) are good examples of added value or flexible price structures, both of which I feel provide a strong incentive not to pirate and to a certain extent achieve that goal. It's probably somewhat pointless to go after people, who wouldn't throw any money your way anyways, and more beneficial to focus on existing costumers and potential customers who would be willing to pay for the product, if it were on different terms. Also as far as I'm concerned punishment never achieved anything positive in the history of mankind and introducing a creator/consumer barrier in the form of added legislation/punishment would absolutely be the wrong approach to the problem.

I must say, the response has been a lot larger than I thought it would be; I'm currently sitting at 92 responses. Thanks peeps!

Answered, those were good questions.

Good luck on the project!

You think it's likely that people in average will still pirate the exact same amount of stuff?

You think it's likely that people in average will still pirate the exact same amount of stuff?

Not the exact same amount, no! I fully understand people pirating in situations where there just aren't stores (brick and mortar OR digital) available in their countries. Steam, D2D, those kinds of things frequently don't support a lot of Middle Eastern/Russian bloc countries, and I can perfectly understand that.

But the amount of people who pirate things because

- Fuck this developer

- Don't have the money

- Don't want to/have to pay

Will never significantly decrease. The main reason being that these people are (in general) younger kids before they get their own income. And there will always be younger kids available to do this.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Who knows. Don't get me started on the people who pirate games because they think they're morally right because a developer is using some shitty DRM scheme. There will always be self-righteous, entitled assholes.

what about those of us who say we pirate because pirated movies don't have the 30-second FBI anti-piracy warnings and unskippable ads at the beginning

ALZZx1xmAzg