mikemariano

Gone Home from The Fullbright Company

It's awesome to see this coming together. Especially since it is similar to a concept discussed on an older cast about how the guys wished for a game with a smaller setting but with a ton of detail. I'm very interested to see what they come up with.

hmm... not the kind of exploration I had in mind.

Also "pre-alpha"? So, prototype? Because pre-alpha doesn't make much sense.

Was it Steve who talked about playing The Last Express on one cast, and his interest in a small-but-very-detailed game space? 'Cause that's what this seems like.

I also want to see some sort of "tiptoe" button, so I can ease up and peer fully into that top dresser drawer. WHAT'S IN THAT DRAWER?!

Hopefully after you open enough drawers, a huge face will fill the screen and scream at you.

(But seriously I'm looking forward to playing this. The real game, I mean.)

:tup: Looks like a lot of stuff is interactive.

:tup: I like the design of the time table brochure.

:tmeh: Environments looked a little sparse.

:tup: I now expect this to be a game about figuring stuff out based on documents you found. This is probably wrong, but I still enjoy expecting it.

:tdown: The vocal fry on the short voice clip was grating.

:getmecoat:fart: :violin:This is a only a brief pre-alpha video, and we know nothing else about the game, which means all my above observations and opinions are worthless.

But I'm looking forward to this game!

(Friday at 6pm BST I'll be putting up my interview with Steve, wherein we actually talk about Gone Home for a little bit. He shares a few more details (not much, so don't get too excited for detail stuff) but his enthusiasm and the rest of the interview really show where his mind is at atm, so you should be able to get more easily excited about it!)

Amnesia without horror(?) :tup:

Amnesia with guns without guns

Also "pre-alpha"? So, prototype? Because pre-alpha doesn't make much sense.

It's become common practice to show "pre-alpha" footage. I'm surprised you haven't noticed this before.

Doesn't show much yet, but looks interesting in any case. Looking forward to hear more Scoops about this one in the future.

Loved the interview. Steve's voice was a bit low on the volume, though, compared to yours. You should probably have the other end record their end of the audio for Skype calls, if they can be arsed.

Loved the interview. Steve's voice was a bit low on the volume, though, compared to yours. You should probably have the other end record their end of the audio for Skype calls, if they can be arsed.

I did. He did! I tried editing it in order to account for that, but 1) I'm not particularly good at editing, and I think I did a pretty good job in comparison to the original anyway, and 2) there are parts where our voices are the same level, and if I lowered mine any further, it would be the same problem just reversed.

I did. He did! I tried editing it in order to account for that, but 1) I'm not particularly good at editing, and I think I did a pretty good job in comparison to the original anyway, and 2) there are parts where our voices are the same level, and if I lowered mine any further, it would be the same problem just reversed.

Oh. I guess I indeed didn't notice that difference near the end so it was just some part that felt off.

Oh. I guess I indeed didn't notice that difference near the end so it was just some part that felt off.

Yeah. I mean, I don't disagree with you - completely my fault/inadequacy - but I do hope that the interview quality kinda made it up for it =)

but I do hope that the interview quality kinda made it up for it =)

Yeah, it did. The volume thing wasn't a really big deal, just had to adjust my Minecraft volume :)

I thought some of the research Steve was doing for Gone Home sounded super interesting. That Asian family with the white guy patriarch and a completely abandoned house wtf.

Scoops talks to the Giant-Bombsmen.

Interesting stuff. Really looking forward to it. For a moment I had the impression there were no challenges at all; no puzzles, no structure, no progress, just a house you walk around and read letters in. I thought that sounded... interesting, but in this interview he implies you will be able to complete the game. So obviously there's some sort of challenge. Maybe there's a keypad, and you have to figure out the code based on a million facts.

Interesting stuff. Really looking forward to it. For a moment I had the impression there were no challenges at all; no puzzles, no structure, no progress, just a house you walk around and read letters in. I thought that sounded... interesting, but in this interview he implies you will be able to complete the game.

Nah, no challenge, you just walk out the front door.

My only question is, where's the game? This doesn't sound like a video game.

Seems to be more game than Dear Esther at least. I haven't read the interview fully yet, but what I imagine is -- you piece together the story of the place by exploring, but there is too much to go through it all -- so already found items giving you hints about what more too look for. And in the end, maybe you get a different ending depending on how much you've seen...