Sign in to follow this  
Hermie

Wizard: Master of the Wizardry

So suddenly I see a launch trailer for Warlock: Master of the Arcane, and I wonder why I haven't heard of this? It looks like HoMM/King's Bounty mashed up with Civilization:

Ym6VuKikiBk

So, anyone have any more information about what this game might be? Because it sounds like exactly the kind of game I shouldn't try out until after exam season.

EDIT: Well, now I HAVE to play this:

9z1J6.png

EDITEDIT: I completely forgot we have a strategy forum now.

Edited by Hermie

From the name "Miralbus the Hat" am I to assume that the character in that portrait is actually the hat and not the guy underneath it? If that is the case, I'm completely in.

Yeah, I pretty much reiterate what I said in the other thread. I'm interested but the demo made me wonder if the game is a bit too shallow to play for the lengths of time one might put into a Civilization match, for example.

It's a Majesty universe TBS in the Civ 5 engine. I intend to try it out at some point, but I'll likely wait until they patch in MP.

I'm just starting to get into it, but it seemed like a potentially good game from the demo. It will take some time to figure out if it's got the potential to last.

Not sure I'd compare it to HoMM/Kings Bounty really, given that it lacks the whole strategic-map / tactical-combat split. Tried the demo, and were reasonably entertained.

I think their take was some sort of re-imagining of Master of Magic, from which I have very fond memories of.

From the demo, it felt like something Civ V ish, with a few less systems and some systems replaced.

Some semi-random things I noted playing the demo:

• No citizen management in cities, when your city grows, you get to build a new building that provides some bonus and/or access to some unit or gear.
  • You can purchase upgrades/perks for your units, costs some gold and will usually require access to some building or developed resource
  • No culture, your cities boundaries seemed to scale with city size
  • I didn't see any actual cost to having cities, so it's possible that just carpent-bombing the world with cities is the way to go (providing you can defend them)
  • Monsters spawn around the world and roam, sometimes almost right on top of your cities
  • "Token" quests (found a city, capture a city of monster X or player Y) which provides a gold reward (At least, I didn't get anything beyond that through the demo)
  • Tech replaced by researching spells
  • Access to units seems mostly based on which buildings/resources you have access to, some units are summonable
  • Goofy scottish-accent-dude from Majesty 2 provides the voice of your advisor
  • Several planes of existence, with portals scattered around the world for access
  • Capturing a "monster" city will provide access to units of that "monster race".
  • For one resource, there may be multiple options for what kind of building you can put on it. I.e. for silver, there were one building which provided access to a silver weapon perk for your units, or a building that just provided income

I tried the demo briefly last night. Judging by what little I saw, I really liked it. I defended my city against a goblin invasion, counter-attacked and captured their city, killed a few monsters and explored a bit. An earth elemental destroyed my settlers and my warriors had a long battle with some bears in the woods.

I have never played Civ 5, so the game being "a simplified Civ 5" in many ways has no effect on my opinion. Also, this is my first hex-based TBS in a long time, so that novelty propably has some effect. I'm going to play the demo again later and see what my final opinion will be. Most likely this is going on the wishlist.

I didn't see any actual cost to having cities, so it's possible that just carpent-bombing the world with cities is the way to go (providing you can defend them)

This is the primary point that worries me about the game; it looks like it'll just devolve into building settlers as fast as you can as long as you can defend them, every game.