Patters

Show me your desk/gaming space

post-6403-0-84775000-1432614588_thumb.jpg

Not drastically different than before, but here's the desk at the new place. Metroid painting by Tegan, bought from here in a frame. This summer, will be making a road trip to Victoria to pick up an antique roll-top desk that my mum has been holding at her place until I had a place big enough to put it in. It'll look a lot better once that's in place.

I don't know if I've posted it or not yet (I couldn't find it if I did), but I was playing around taking pictures of it today (mostly of my "new" joystick (which was new in box an obtained recently, but manufactured a while ago) so I thought I'd post one.

http://i.imgur.com/E49Du7zh.jpg

People often joke that my desk looks like it could just as well be from 1999 as it could 2015 (mostly due to the CRT and vintage controllers I think).  I actually got the CRT (new in box) recently to replace my old one (same identical model, a Sony GDM 5411 built for sgi back in 1999), and run it at 1920x1440 @ 75Hz and it looks very nice.  In that picture its actually turned on and is simply displaying a completely black image as a screen saver (when I calibrated it last, its black levels measured at 0.01cd/m2 I think, and as a result its hard to tell if its on or not unless its in complete darkness).

You can't see the keyboard really well, but its a Ducky "Year of the Tiger" keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches that I got a while back (and I've replaced some of the key caps with orange caps).  The mouse is a Logitech G100s mouse on an original style Func surface 1030 pad (I still have an extra one lying around for whenever I wear out the textured surface on it).  The ruler under my monitor is probably evidence of some sort of madness.  I use the ruler whenever I start playing a new FPS game to adjust it so that it takes about 3.5 of mouse movement  inches to turn 360 degrees (I don't fine tune it, I just use it to get it in the ballpark.

I see you've got the Warthog throttle, do you have the stick as well, if so why is that not your main stick?  :o And is that a CRT?! I haven't seen those in ages!  :grin:

I see you've got the Warthog throttle, do you have the stick as well, if so why is that not your main stick?  :o And is that a CRT?! I haven't seen those in ages!  :grin:

Nah, they (Thrustmaster) started selling the throttle by itself and I wanted a better throttle than the one I had.

The joystick is a Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 that I got new in box last week...I decided to replace my G940 with it because the feedback on it is a little better/smoother.

your desk looks quite cramped Miffy

Yeah, it's an old-timey school desk. Even has a place for an ink pot. Looking forward to being able to replace it with something that fits everything a bit better this summer.

I finally got around to cleaning out the basement last weekend so here's what it looks like now.  Still need to setup stuff under the TV.

WC3rtvM.jpg

AXAlv2g.jpg

wow that is a fuckload of space

I... I am jealous.

My studio is about half the size of that room. That's amazing.

Since my last photo in this thread I've moved to the flat's other bedroom, but my desk is still a disaster:

post-8096-0-20316400-1433359254_thumb.jpg

Since that photo was taken, I've replaced the computer under the desk, which you can't see, and replaced the two sets of headphones with a different, fancier set of headphones.

It's because of the gaming socks and gaming boxers (not visible above) that I have no room for a gaming towel; instead I hang my towels in the bathroom like some kind of loser.

It's to display your twitter feed. It was specially created to fit the 140 twitter characters.

What do you use that little monitor on your keyboard for? I've seen them and always wondered.

It's supposed to be an extra display for games.  The examples they gave were health and ammo for shooters.  There are also a few other widgets that it came with like a clock, RAM usage, music controls, etc.  In reality, it's entirely useless because who ever looks down at their keyboard when playing a game?  The model I have is one of the first in a line of gaming keyboards produced by Logitech.  It's a mistake I made in my youth and won't be making again, but I haven't gotten rid of it yet because it still works as a keyboard.  I use the keypad to the left for actually playing games.

It's supposed to be an extra display for games. The examples they gave were health and ammo for shooters. There are also a few other widgets that it came with like a clock, RAM usage, music controls, etc. In reality, it's entirely useless because who ever looks down at their keyboard when playing a game? The model I have is one of the first in a line of gaming keyboards produced by Logitech. It's a mistake I made in my youth and won't be making again, but I haven't gotten rid of it yet because it still works as a keyboard. I use the keypad to the left for actually playing games.

The only use I have found for that thing is to have it display the time so I don't need to alt tab out of a game to see how far past my bedtime it is.

Ya'll motherfuckers fell off. This is how you do it, classic.  B)

YWSoJVY.jpg

Nah, seriously, here it is.

BCbS5Ti.jpg

That is a cool looking cat. I wish my desk had a cat like that.

Edit: Your professional-looking mic is also pretty neat. Tools of a serious podcast host!

Gaming cat > gaming towel

All future gaming space pics need kitties in them.

doesn't a gaming cat interfere with a gaming mouse?

I cleaned my apartment!

Computer desk:

VkVrVx8.png

...I need a new chair.

Drawing desk:

9u7jIGc.png

That one needs a chair, period.

The TV (under it: WDTV Live, Wii U, PS3, and two external hard drives)

6SeMMr4.png

I shouldn't have taken these pictures so close to sunset. Sorry. :getmecoat

Also, having taken down my media shelf and sold/paked u most of my physical media, I scrunched up my living room bookshelves and gaming stuff into this:

2V56J28.png

The black bin under the Wii U gamepad contains the "keeper" pile of physical games, the wicker one contains controllers for the PS3 and Wii U. The two black fabric drawers are... mostly empty, with a few USB cables.

Have fun trying to pick out the books!

Is that a pad of paper specifically for drawing Bristol?