Patters

Show me your desk/gaming space

I've wanted a room under the roof of a house with a skylight ever since I first saw Hey Arnold.

Yeah that was one sick room.

In my final year of university I lived in a roof room smaller than that one. The skylight used to leak and stain the wallpaper pink. The tap water stained the sink pink, too. Was there some sort of bacteria in the water up there?

There is something quite fun about living under diagonal surfaces, though. It's a good place to put a student.

lZv60Mrh.jpg

my desk area in the living room. Got the desk before I had the capacity to buy two monitors and now regretting it. I want two monitors.

I have a hard time dealing with clutter in my personal space. It makes me feel restless, or something. Let's not check my bedroom, though.

gXSsHnm.jpg?1

TWO YEARS LATER...

Tq2Y6pM.jpg

PERIPHERCALYPSE!

Say, Apple Cider, what's that thing behind your monitor?

Looks like you have less trouble with clutter now :)

Box behind my monitor is to stop my cat from climbing behind the monitor and knocking it forward onto my face. Cats are a detriment to computer peripherals. 

I've catsitted a deaf one in my house for a bunch of days. I remember it like it was thursday, august 14th, 2014! Infuriatingly curious about everything, yet so very adorable. Especially when sleeping.

0PzTiAQ.jpg

Looks like you have less trouble with clutter now :)

Out of sight, out of mind. ;)

Top strip? Do you mean the top mini USB port (if you are right handed)? Mine worked briefly.

But my tablet is an Intuos 4, Isn't that an Intuos 3 that Lu has (that has the unattachable cord)?

Yea, it's an Intuos 3, so no top strip.

Careful with your mouse.

Duuuude.  :grin:

Do any of you guys know what the conventional wisdom is regarding how your arms should rest when holding you mouse and keyboard? Is there a ideal distance to have you keyboard & mouse in terms of their distance from your chest? 

I was always taught that the ideal was to keep your arms as close to a nice L shape as possible, but that feel difficult to do & despite trying to keep to roughly this position i seem to have managed to have picked up a shoulder injury while working to many hours at my desk recently

This is my current setup

post-24580-0-96367400-1431469198_thumb.jpg

I think i my need a new chair because i cant fit it under the desk properly at the height that feels right, however removing the arm rests also feels wrong :P

What's that little controller hand keyboard thing? I've seen them around but like, what do you use it for?

I'll post a picture of my desk after I clean my disgusting room....

Looks like a Razer Nostromo. It has a few rows of buttons analogous to WASD + adjacent, a d-pad type thing, and a joystick type thing if memory serves. Kinda like a dedicated gaming keyboard to accompany a regular keyboard.

Looks like a Razer Nostromo. It has a few rows of buttons analogous to WASD + adjacent, a d-pad type thing, and a joystick type thing if memory serves. Kinda like a dedicated gaming keyboard to accompany a regular keyboard.

Yeah it's a Nostromo, they are a little strange to use to begin with but once you get used to them they are extremely comfortable & easy to use.

It's particularly useful for MMO's or any other game which require a ton of key binds

I've wanted a room under the roof of a house with a skylight ever since I first saw Hey Arnold.

Why do you think Arnold's head was that shape?

Lu , on 24 Apr 2013 - 11:05, said:snapback.png

I have a hard time dealing with clutter in my personal space. It makes me feel restless, or something. Let's not check my bedroom, though.

gXSsHnm.jpg?1

Lu i kind alike the look of that chair hiding partially out of shot, adjustable arms + mesh back look like the kinda thing im gonna be after, what brand is it?

I meant the top bit of the drawing area. I had to change the mapping on mine because the top bit dosen't work. Apparently it's a common fault with the Intuos 3.

Ooooh, no luckily no such issues.

that hella lack of towels tho  :P

Are you referring to the extremely soft and comfortable fleece blanket on my rad chair?

I don't know if I've posted it or not yet (I couldn't find it if I did), but I was playing around taking pictures of it today (mostly of my "new" joystick (which was new in box an obtained recently, but manufactured a while ago) so I thought I'd post one.

E49Du7zh.jpg

People often joke that my desk looks like it could just as well be from 1999 as it could 2015 (mostly due to the CRT and vintage controllers I think).  I actually got the CRT (new in box) recently to replace my old one (same identical model, a Sony GDM 5411 built for sgi back in 1999), and run it at 1920x1440 @ 75Hz and it looks very nice.  In that picture its actually turned on and is simply displaying a completely black image as a screen saver (when I calibrated it last, its black levels measured at 0.01cd/m2 I think, and as a result its hard to tell if its on or not unless its in complete darkness).

You can't see the keyboard really well, but its a Ducky "Year of the Tiger" keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches that I got a while back (and I've replaced some of the key caps with orange caps).  The mouse is a Logitech G100s mouse on an original style Func surface 1030 pad (I still have an extra one lying around for whenever I wear out the textured surface on it).  The ruler under my monitor is probably evidence of some sort of madness.  I use the ruler whenever I start playing a new FPS game to adjust it so that it takes about 3.5 of mouse movement  inches to turn 360 degrees (I don't fine tune it, I just use it to get it in the ballpark.