Sign in to follow this  
Korax

Hot Scoops, Inc.

So, they're making a non-combat game about exploration, which sounds just like the kind of game I will buy. Could be a lot of things, and I instantly thought of Myst, which are great non-combat explore-em-ups. Then, I imagine The Witness, which is also something in these veins. Anyway, it'll probably be great, and I should fucking get around to playing Minerva's Den.

I'm very excited to see what they come up with. We need more great non-combat games. It can't all be ba-dow ba-dows and pew-pew laser beams all the time.

I'm torn between looking forward to seeing what they do and being insanely jealous of them. But yeah, "non-combat game about exploration" == day one perch for me as well. Based on Hot Scoops's blog and his comments on the podcast, I'm expecting these dudes to come up with some interesting stuff within that format.

Awesome! Great to hear again good news relating to Thumbs guys.

I really need to play Minerva's Den someday, I just hope the main game would get cheaper in Steam. Isn't it so that Minerva is only possible to be bought through GFWL?

Yeah, they had it on sale on GFWL about a month ago, so I picked it up and installed it. Beat Bioshock 2 back when it came out though, so it's been tough motivating myself to click on that "launch game" button after all this time even with the new content installed.

I find it increasingly cooler to witness the Idle Thumbs crew tackling on ambitious, personal gaming projects.:tup:

And it's even rad that they do it now, when there are finally ways to support them directly.:yep:

Also, I'm super excited at the "archaeology" pitch: a friend from work and I have recently been talking about that and we felt that nobody really took on the legacy of the Myst series in terms of gameplay or storytelling.

To me, this genre - when it doesn't fall into silly math head scratcher - is one of the most thrilling and unique thing game can offer, because it requires the player to build mental models based on partial clues and have him/her validate it through making stuff work again.

I simply LOVE this intellectual exercises and that progression!

If they are going in that direction, I'll support what they do even more.

Also, I'm super excited at the "archaeology" pitch: a friend from work and I have recently been talking about that and we felt that nobody really took on the legacy of the Myst series in terms of gameplay or storytelling.

I completely agree with this.

There's been a few similar things here and there, but it's always felt to me like a big gap waiting to be filled.

Speaking of which, Jonathan Blow's "The Witness" is looking very promising.

Hot Scoops no longer just gives out the scoops, HE CREATES AND CONTROLS THEM!

Can't wait to see what they end up doing. :tup:

Wohoo! Congrats Steve, and good luck! The game sounds very interesting and I can't wait to hear more.

(The company logo doesn't look too good, but who cares.)

Insta-Buy! Put this "non-combat game about exploration" up for preorder and I'll throw my money at you guys (and gal).

A shame that the idle thumbs pod cast wasn't up yet. Because this would have been awesome hot scoops to announce on the pod cast.

Don't worry, when Zynga buys The Fullbright Company he'll be back in SF.

Sounds awesome. Still haven't played Minerva's Den because I'm not interested in BioShock 2 the main game.