The Killstar

Idle Thumbs Motorcycle Club

Oh hello. I can't figure out why naked bikes aren't more popular in the US. I guess guys that go out and spend 20k on a sport bike or Harley that they never ride don't really care about practicality, but I'd rather ride a naked bike every day than something covered in plastic. Oh, btw, check THIS out!
1004918_10151813775830761_1835558679_n.j

What a difference a couple of weeks make.

1003009_10151995662180761_589531944_n.jp

So, rumor has it that Honda is getting ready to drop a new CBR300R for 2014. If I can find one in the Repsol colors I will have an extremely hard time not getting one. You know, for the wife...

Currently on my ~5000 mile trip from Washington DC to Seattle, WA. I'll have some video of me eating shit on some unexpected gravel within a week or so.  I'm gonna need a ton of work done on the bike when I'm done, but it'll be an excuse to put new/custom parts on - new turn signals/mirrors/headlight bracket/etc.

Also, because I'm an idiot, I'm most annoyed that after my crash, some of my safety gear is scuffed up and might need to be taken to a tailor.

Also, the mobile version of that site should be about online multiplayer games.

Does anyone have suggestions for a great beginner bike or resources for first time riders? I'm kind of looking for baby's first motorcycle.

Also, Sean your bubble-visor helmet looks like something out of 70s sci-fi, and dig it muchly.

suzuki GN250 is a safe bet.

unless you're tall. then it's a terrible idea.

are jap bikes relatively cheap in the US?

the best bit of advice i ever ignored was: spend your money on good gear, then the rest on the bike.

Was mo.today already taken?

mototo.day?

Also, love the IT helmet sticker!

I unfortunately have nothing to add to this awesome thread because all I have right now are dreams of one day owning a motorcycle and riding across the country. Whenever I next get a job is when I will definitely start working toward that goal. But I saw this today and it made me laugh. 

JB4kGbd.gif

Does anyone have suggestions for a great beginner bike or resources for first time riders? I'm kind of looking for baby's first motorcycle.

Also, Sean your bubble-visor helmet looks like something out of 70s sci-fi, and dig it muchly.

Honda is about to come out with the CBR300R which would be great. Alternatively, the 250R is going to be out of date in August when the 300 is out, so it'd be cheaper. Ninja 300s are the other option but aren't as comfortable (they feel cramped). I don't remember how they compare price-wise to the Hondas. For the Seattle area, check out Ride Motorsports in Woodinville. Good guys and good salesmen. I'd advise against Lake City Power Sports as they had zero interest in actually dealing with customers, but are pretty much the only Kawasaki dealer around. Once you get a bike let me know, I need a riding partner up here.

suzuki GN250 is a safe bet.

unless you're tall. then it's a terrible idea.

are jap bikes relatively cheap in the US?

the best bit of advice i ever ignored was: spend your money on good gear, then the rest on the bike.

I will take your advice on gear to heart. And also, that looks like a great little bike. 

Honda is about to come out with the CBR300R which would be great. Alternatively, the 250R is going to be out of date in August when the 300 is out, so it'd be cheaper. Ninja 300s are the other option but aren't as comfortable (they feel cramped). I don't remember how they compare price-wise to the Hondas. For the Seattle area, check out Ride Motorsports in Woodinville. Good guys and good salesmen. I'd advise against Lake City Power Sports as they had zero interest in actually dealing with customers, but are pretty much the only Kawasaki dealer around. Once you get a bike let me know, I need a riding partner up here.

I wish I could afford a new bike, but I'll likely be looking for something preowned.

The hard part with gear is knowing what you'll end up liking after a while of using it. My main suggestions are get a good, snug helmet, and make it full-faced - especially for your first one. The few times I've crashed, that extra protection has saved me.

I just had to get a new Shoei because mine was deemed unusable after my accident.

I face hit the ground at 30mph; into rocks and all sorts of shit. I didn't even have a headache. Not a neck ache. Nothing. Buy a good helmet, it's worth every single penny.

Another recommend if you're learning -- easy to put on leg armor. I bought this: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-knee-v-guard

I still wear this stuff if I don't have armored pants. It fits underneath my jeans and is surprisingly comfy (have worn it for eight hours, 400 mile days). The only time I went down I was wearing it and I guarantee you it saved a broken knee cap and probably a puncture to the front of my calf.  Furthermore, it gave me a lot of early confidence when I was first starting to ride years ago.

Also: proper bike boots, because the soles are laterally braced to stop a fallen bike from crushing your feet. I see way too many people riding bikes in sneakers, etc.