The Killstar

Idle Thumbs Motorcycle Club

Sean, make sure you don't put too much weight on the seat rack, there's nothing under the plastic to support it.  I thought you were going to be doing a bunch of two-up riding anyway? Was the solo seat what it came with?

Also, if you're a big fan of the grips (I was not a fan of the curved shape or hardness for long rides), then a Thunderbird grip will fit just fine.  I run a Thunderbird throttle-grip, and a stock T-100 clutch grip.

iphone_photo.jpg

It came with the solo seat and the original two-up. He had the solo on there with the rack so I've kept it on until my wife's semester is over.

Also gave me two unused helmets, three pairs of gloves, a jacket and various other accouterments. Poor guy can't ride any more because of seizures so the bike only had 900 miles on it. Just the pits.

Sean, make sure you don't put too much weight on the seat rack, there's nothing under the plastic to support it.  I thought you were going to be doing a bunch of two-up riding anyway? Was the solo seat what it came with?

SURE! Not sure how helpful these are. The woman went all artistic for some reason.

These are great! Thanks, man -- super duper appreciated. Those look badass but possibly more forward than I want to be.

In light of cicada season being about to start on the east coast, what's the strangest thing you've ever hit?  

I hit a bat once in Colonial Williamsburg.  It bounced off my flyscreen up into my helmet.

The One Motorcycle Show is in a couple of weeks here in Austin, and I tried to get into the Bell helmet art project but was rejected for not having a portfolio. Too bad, my first helmet was a Bell. I think it would go over pretty well!

12358_10151603404610761_303871304_n.jpg

Yeah It hit kind of the top of my faceshield/crown of the helmet.  Good thing I had the faceshield down to keep all the bugs off my face.

I once hit a full bag of garbage that was sitting in the middle of an eight lane motorway. 

saw it and swerved at the last minute but smacked it with my foot and dislocated a toe. had to keep riding, imagining i had lost half my foot, until the next exit. 

fun.

I once hit a full bag of garbage that was sitting in the middle of an eight lane motorway. 

saw it and swerved at the last minute but smacked it with my foot and dislocated a toe. had to keep riding, imagining i had lost half my foot, until the next exit. 

fun.

HAHA that is amazing.

My worst was when I was hit in the neck by a big ass locust. I thought I was bleeding, but didn't see anything in my mirror so kept going. Then about 20 miles later I felt something scratching me, so I looked again and the fucking locust was stuck to my neck! I damn near ditched it  trying to get the bastard off my neck. I don't know how it managed to find the one part of me not covered in leather, helmet, or bandana.

You mentioned your thought process in getting new gear - are you all the gear, all the time?

I'm most of the gear, most of the time.  Usually everything but riding pants, but I just bought a nice 3 season pair of those, so I'll probably wear everything more often.  It can't hit triple digits in Virginia in the summer pretty easily though, so sometimes I'm just in a helmet.  After my small crash and the fact that I work a pretty normal workday now, it means I'm in rush-hour traffic more often, so I've been more protection-conscious than I have been.  I also started riding around the same time as Sean, so I'm able to settle into the gear that I know I want and like, so I can just go ahead and spend the money on it so I can get the good stuff.

Anybody talk about their gear yet? I have way too much, but in my search for one set of gear that does everything, I think I've realized that there isn't one set of gear that does everything. Unless you're willing to shell out for a Roadcrafter I guess. This is what I am currently planning to use for my mini trip in July.

Shoei Qwest fitted with a Sena SMH10 headset (priceless piece of equipment)

Triumph jacket with Knox armor

Dianese Air Drake pants

Rev'It Comet gloves

Bates paratrooper boots

i have the cheapest crap i could find:

shiro helmet and strada jacket, with a spare ffm helmet for passengers.

the rest is too much to lug around all day, and i can't wear boots.

anyone else feel disconnected from the bike when wearing gloves? my hands are the only part of me with a tan.

Killstar - where are you headed on your mini trip?

I have a Shoei RF110 helmet, a Dainese jacket I got 2nd hand, shitty-need-to-be-replaced gloves, looking for boots that at least resemble my Red Wing Iron Rangers that I wear now and some pants at one point. 

I am trying very hard to NOT buy a pair of these, but I'm not doing a very good job. And my birthday is in a month, and since my dog got a bit sick, my savings went away, sooooo, might as well spend what I got, yeah?

ElsinoreBootBrownFront-599x610.jpg

i have the cheapest crap i could find:

shiro helmet and strada jacket, with a spare ffm helmet for passengers.

the rest is too much to lug around all day, and i can't wear boots.

anyone else feel disconnected from the bike when wearing gloves? my hands are the only part of me with a tan.

Killstar - where are you headed on your mini trip?

I'm riding from my new home in Austin, TX, to my old home in Lawrence, KS. Its the least motorcycle of any of my motorcycle trips, as I will mostly be lounging by the pool for a week, with a couple of mad 800 mile dashes to bookend it. Should be fun though. 

As for the gloves question, I definitely feel that disconnect with textile gloves. I swear by good leather though. I always buy my gloves a size too small, so that they stretch and become a second skin. It helps if you ride in the rain once or twice when they are still new. Right now, I'm trying to break in a pair of these guys (below). They're a good mix of protection and ventilation.

FGS049_1010UF_300RGB08_detail.jpg

when it came to gear i always found it kind of hard to find stuff that can protect you without you looking like a total douche once you get off the bike. I had a good helmet and jacket, but i never got a good pair of boots or any sort of protective pants. do most of you guys ride around like that too?

also do you guys shop online for your gear or did you pick it out locally? Are there any good motorcycle gear sites? 

Yeah finding good looking, good gear is hard, but it seems like it's getting easier.  I'm currently sporting this setup for jacket and pants:

revit_melville_jacket_detail.jpg

revit_enterprise_pants_detail.jpg

I have a pair of nice harness boots which have worked well, but they're definitely not off-the-bike boots, so I may go with a pair of high-lacing combat style boots when I need new ones.