The Killstar

Idle Thumbs Motorcycle Club

AH, well that I don't have a good answer for you. I rode my bike all winter (had to, no car) and while Norfolk, VA is a FAR cry from Finland, it got pretty cold a couple of days. There's pretty good heated gear on the market that can supposedly keep you riding as long as you have traction. My problem wasn't so much cold, as it was the visor on my full-face fogged up if I breathed at all. Which was a problem, if you can imagine.

Oh man do I hate a foggy visor. Can anyone here recommend a solution? I've tried the spray stuff you get from bike shops but it only lasts about a week (if that). Obviously there are big flashy helmets but they cost an arm and a leg.

Yeah the pin-locks are supposedly the answer, but I think the snap ins are like 50 bucks by themselves, and that doesn't include the fancy visor needed to use them. Squid Division's got some paste that he's used, but I'm not sure about the effectiveness.

Yeah I've got some spray in stuff that works alright. You could probably get some stuff that works for scuba/snorkel goggles and it'd be the exact same and probably cheaper. Even fancy helmets fog up a lot as my Shoei has taught me.

this is me.

2001 cbr600f

only 12k on the clock when i bought it.

IMG_0005.jpg

loads of fun for day trips (i'm based in amsterdam) but we'll see about 6 hours on the autobahn...

i think after a few hours i'll be wishing i had a bonnie too.

this is me.

2001 cbr600f

only 12k on the clock when i bought it.

IMG_0005.jpg

loads of fun for day trips (i'm based in amsterdam) but we'll see about 6 hours on the autobahn...

i think after a few hours i'll be wishing i had a bonnie too.

*Drooling over CBR*

Is there any reason to own a different street bike? I would probably upgrade to the 1000 Repsol, but still.

WHAT THE WHAT (also, I'm a cold-blooded monster from a state where deer get killed all the time, but man, not even gonna check on the guy? i guess he's in a race?)

*Drooling over CBR*

Is there any reason to own a different street bike? I would probably upgrade to the 1000 Repsol, but still.

i'd probably drop it in a heartbeat for a street triple. mmm street triple. 1000 would be a lot more fun but pretty thirsty.

also i wanted to ask you guys whether you think there is a connection between bikes and video games?

my bike friends (that sounds like the worst mc ever) are all video game people. i was hugely in to wipeout back in the ps1 days and a lot of non-bike friends ask something along the lines of "it must be just like a video game."

mr. remo mentioned the book 'finding flow' once a long time ago (by the guy with the absolutely mental surname) and my theory is along those lines: bikes and video games both have a consistent flow of events that chain together - sometimes with astounding grace - that really appeals to me. it's a balance of skill with challenge over time (very interesting book by the way)

any thoughts?

To me riding has always given me the same feeling as camping - as far as the feeling of fresh air and wilderness. So I've always likened it to camping at 80mph.

more of an adventure game then? open world sandbox?

maybe this is the difference between a cruiser and a sports bike? would you own a sports bike?

at some point i'm going to have to get me a cruiser and do some proper road trips. that guy going through yosemite(?) made it look awesome.

maybe this is the difference between a cruiser and a sports bike? would you own a sports bike?

at some point i'm going to have to get me a cruiser and do some proper road trips. that guy going through yosemite(?) made it look awesome.

and

To me riding has always given me the same feeling as camping - as far as the feeling of fresh air and wilderness. So I've always likened it to camping at 80mph.

both of these things (i would also endorse the "flow" theory although it's the lack of flow and the wreck caused by it that terrifies me) get at my why i love my moto (and a bit about games) a game that keeps saying "yes, you can go there too" or "yes, that is a thing you can totally do" usually keeps my attention for hours. my motorcycle is an extension of that -- i feel like i can go anywhere i want and i'm outside, connected to the world the entire time.

good observations, guys!

Yeah I agree with that.

I think the best game to best capture the relationship of the rider and the surrounding world is

Far Cry 2

with the opened up wranglers, dune buggys, and ATVs. You're almost completely connected with the rest of the world, but you still have to get out/off to do it.

If you were to make a comparison between games and riding I'd also bring up e-sports type games for when you hit a really good twisty road. Something that's a lot of muscle memory and reaction with a moderate amount of planning ahead. But I guess that's because I think riding has a lot more in common with actual sports than games.

The Bonneville is definitely a 'right in between' bike. With the standard riding position the rider is halfway between cruiser and sport bike - almost as maneuverable as a sport bike, almost as comfortable as a cruiser. The engine is the same way - revving higher than a cruiser, but lower than a sportbike. I can put highway pegs or billy-bars on my bike and basically make it a cruiser; or I could put rear-sets and some cafe bars on it and have a streetbike.

But to answer your question, yes, I want every bike.

In the spirit of cool bikes you can actually buy -- a newly released, small (250cc!) bike from Cleveland Cyclewerks if you're looking for a round-towner or just getting into riding. It's got awesome old-school styling and retails for like 3k new.

misfit_hdr_shop.jpg?pictureId=9231922&asThumbnail=true

I'm really into those Cleveland bikes. I'm thinking of going and checking out the dealership in Richmond one of these days (the lady friend has the 2 wheeled bug now).

As for the bike vs gaming discussion, I think the main similarity that I feel is that both bikes and games let you live by different rules than other people. I don't know what it is about motorcycles, but I just feel like you play on a different field than "normal people." If you want to pull over on the side of the road on a highway, and just hang out for a bit, you can do that. If you want to ride on some fire trails that are technically off limits, you can do that too. Hell, I've literally ridden off the side of the interstate once to get to a side road that I thought would better take me where I wanted to go. I'm on a bike, fuck it!

Gaming does that too (if the game is good) in that the way you play a game is the way YOU play a game. I did not play Fallout 3 the same way that my girlfriend did. In Skyrim, she's a wizard that relies on enchantments and conjurations to fight, whereas I'm a bareknuckle brawler. Not to mention the fact that you can act like a total dickbag online and nothing will happen to you. Basic rules of human interaction don't apply if you're having to shout down a screaming homophobic 12 year old.

I just feel like you play on a different field than "normal people."

i absolutely agree. being on a bike, and being a video game protagonist (at least in single player mode) you are always the exception.

road rules and speed limits don't really apply to bikes (they do but not really - i particularly love lane splitting for this reason: "oh, you're stuck in traffic? pity." vrrooom)

and in games you're always playing the only dovahkiin in existence, or the only guy with bullet time ability, or at the very least the only guy who can be shot a hundred times and still be fine.

the way you play a game is the way YOU play a game.

i feel like this is a different idea. it's the difference between breaking out of a system and free agency within a system. playing a game how you want you are still within the parameters of the system, but riding off the interstate is breaking it entirely and grinning at it's shattered fragments. i guess the equivalent to me would be if you could walk out of skyrim and see what was over the mountains.