elmuerte

Favorite early cancelled TV series

You levelled an unfair and untrue accusation at me. If you want to stand by that, even after I've explained your error and still apologised, I'm afraid that really is just yours to live with.

Sorry, I do accept and appreciate your apology. I was just referring to your explanation.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "levelled an unfair and untrue accusation". When did I do that, exactly? I would say that you did that to me when you claimed I'd assumed the worst of you, but I can't see when I did that you?

Anyways, enough of this nonsense. Next time go back and look for the post you've missed :-P

BTW, You wouldn't know this, but there's actually nothing really left to spoil at where you are in the series, I don't think. I'd suggest watching Fire Walk With Me once the Laura Palmer case is tied up, as it has nothing to do with what comes after, but I'm not entirely sure as to when would be the best time.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "levelled an unfair and untrue accusation". When did I do that, exactly?

When you typed out an absurd and harsh subtext to an earlier post of mine, a subtext that I never expressed or implied.

I'd suggest watching Fire Walk With Me once the Laura Palmer case is tied up, as it has nothing to do with what comes after, but I'm not entirely sure as to when would be the best time.

I watched it after finishing the entire series and found it pretty underwhelming overall. Still worth watching I guess, but nowhere near the quality of the series, and I think I even prefer some episodes of the show from after the murder was solved.

:spiraldy::pan::tfart: :tfart:

:broken::campbell::scary::hitler::pwned: :pwned:

:strangelove::sartre::mrt::bac0n::cens0red:

Very much agreed.

I liked Fire Walk With Me... they took out a lot of the goofy charm the tv series had and really just showed the awful fucked up life of Laura Palmer.

They talked about it and it was gruesome in the series, but Fire Walk With Me really just took it to places tv wouldn't allow for the time. Also, the little bits of the FBI at the start were great and could really be expanded on.

I loved Twin Peaks series one and think it was coming around by the end of series two. If Lynch wasn't so god damn brilliant, I'd like him to revisit it while the cast is still age appropriate.

Also second for Kings, I think they rushed the last episodes and took it somewhere it intended too but too quickly(Much like Carnivale) but it was a really cool show that had a lot of political commentary. Not to mention they managed to do Ian McShane's dialog in a bit of iambic pentameter which he delivers like a champ. It was also used in Deadwood, but with a lot of cursing and gives it that royalty/Shakespeare tone.

Jesus Fuckballs, this is one of those (many) Thumbs threads where I'm itching to step in and explain each participator's opinion to the others, but then realise I'll only make it worse or end up a white knight.

Anyway, I thought that the Mal-kicks-henchman-into-engine moment added to his character. I was quite shocked that such an ostensibly mainstream show would allow the hero to do that, comedy beat or not.

One day (when I have infinite time on my hands and nothing better to do) I would like to edit Twin Peaks down to a more coherent experience.

I've got similar pulsions toward a few movies but it always looked impossible to remove elements without

a) needing some new material to transition between what remains

or

B) polishing endlessly the editing, to get everything right

I.e. I'm a lazy bastard.:fart:

Still, I would love to see someone else try and document the attempt.:)

Haha, S.Hammack and I are rewatching Buffy and just got to the "goodbye, Riley" stage.

Moment of celebration, the meathead buff army guy love interest has gone!

Oh. Immediately, he's replaced by buff doctor intern guy/Glory puppet.

To me the army season was the worst season of Buffy, didn't like much of it. Every else was really great. It's really finely built show, except for the preparation for cancellation at the end of 2nd season. Still somehow they rebuilt the story arcs after that really nicely with the entrance of Faith.

At least I remember reading stories that Buffy was close to getting the axe during the second season. Whedon shows seem to always step on the edge.

When I met Anthony Head, one of the few things he told me was that Fox wouldn't let him make the show that he wanted to with Firefly. The final product wasn't a million miles away, thankfully, but with that show and with Dollhouse it was the same story:

Whedon: "We're going to do X!".

Fox: "Great! X is exactly what we want. We love it! Go for it."

(cut to later)

Whedon: "Here's X!".

Fox: "Oh, wow. We were actually thinking you'd be making Y".

Whedon: "What? We discussed this. We agreed to make X."

Fox: "Yeah, but we really want Y. Change it or we don't make the show and fire everybody."

Whedon: "I really hate you guys."

That's one thing that has always been strange to me, Joss Whedon probably already new after Buffy and Angel that and especially after Firefly that Fox is an ass of a network. Why again go with Dollhouse to them?

Of course if no other network was even slightly interested then that tells everything.

They're probably the only ones that kept waving wodges of cash in his face, at that point.

Dollhouse was originally commissioned as a Dushku vehicle and she lobbied to bring Whedon in, so he didn't have any choice about taking it to another network (or kicking out her five-by-five ass).

He's very loyal to his actors (even when he shouldn't be) so even if she weren't locked in through that mechanism he probably would have kept her.

Obviously it had an amazing run, but I've always thought Mystery Science Theater was cancelled in its prime. I'm a Mike fan, but the run they were on with those last 3 seasons was fantastic.

That's one thing that has always been strange to me, Joss Whedon probably already new after Buffy and Angel that and especially after Firefly that Fox is an ass of a network. Why again go with Dollhouse to them?

Of course if no other network was even slightly interested then that tells everything.

Buffy was never on Fox. It started on the WB (somehow I feel super lame typing "the WB") and moved to UPN, so I'm not sure that he had any real experience with them prior to Firefly. I don't really have any idea though, as I'm not particularly familiar with the guy's work.

I'm giving up on Twin Peaks, it doesn't click for me. It's way too much soap and not enough detective stuff. I do like how most characters are set up, and the occasional weirdness. :tup:

Because I am of the female persuasion, it is My So-Called Life.

I loved that. Didn't know it was cancelled early, though.

Buffy was never on Fox. It started on the WB (somehow I feel super lame typing "the WB") and moved to UPN, so I'm not sure that he had any real experience with them prior to Firefly. I don't really have any idea though, as I'm not particularly familiar with the guy's work.

Hmm yes, but the dvd releases say Fox, so Fox was the parent company yes? WB was just the channel showing it? Or did I get something wrong?

It's simple really: He never planned to. Eliza Dushku had a production deal at Fox, and over lunch she was talking about her issues: All these people trying to turn her into something she felt she wasn't, giving her advice, and telling her what to do. It ultimately left her unsure of what to do herself, and what options to take. This sparked the idea for Dollhouse within Whedon, and she asked him to pitch it as part of her production deal.

Fox had literally turned into a different company since the last time he worked there: There were no staff members left over from his time. So he took a gamble. It's too simplistic to say Fox was the same company, as it was a completely different regime when he went back. They treated him differently, but the "X" and "Y" thing happens all the time in television, no matter what the network. (I could give you several other examples off the top of my head.)

I loved that. Didn't know it was cancelled early, though.

They only made one season, but Clare Danes said she didn't want to come back for a second anyway.

Jesus Fuckballs, this is one of those (many) Thumbs threads where I'm itching to step in and explain each participator's opinion to the others, but then realise I'll only make it worse or end up a white knight.

Anyway, I thought that the Mal-kicks-henchman-into-engine moment added to his character. I was quite shocked that such an ostensibly mainstream show would allow the hero to do that, comedy beat or not.

It's not that different from "Indiana shoots Swordsman", in a way, but interestingly this one was network mandated. They wanted more deaths. (Just look at how hideously misanthropic Dollhouse was in the beginning -- again, the network's decision. They wanted "dark" -- presumably from some weird customer research they did.)

Regarding the other thing: I wish you'd stick your oar in!

Hmm yes, but the dvd releases say Fox, so Fox was the parent company yes? WB was just the channel showing it? Or did I get something wrong?

Fox was the production company of Buffy. Providing funds, studio space, all that jazz. It's a completely different arm from Fox the TV channel. If I recall the DVD special features correctly, they pitched it to Fox the channel first, then the other big channels, with no interest. Eventually The WB picked it up, being a very fresh, small, network channel, an Buffy became their first hit.

"Expressing individualism is just plain wrong."

Fox was the production company of Buffy. Providing funds, studio space, all that jazz. It's a completely different arm from Fox the TV channel. If I recall the DVD special features correctly, they pitched it to Fox the channel first, then the other big channels, with no interest. Eventually The WB picked it up, being a very fresh, small, network channel, an Buffy became their first hit.

Just to clarify further: For Buffy and Angel, Fox was the Studio, the WB (and later UPN) was the Network. Fox was very supportive of Buffy and Angel (part of the reason Whedon felt so betrayed when they didn't support Firefly).

With Firefly and Dollhouse Fox was both the Studio and the Network.

They only made one season, but Clare Danes said she didn't want to come back for a second anyway.

Thank god! I saw ThunderPeel's response, didn't see the rest of the conversation, and thought Homeland was cancelled.