toblix

Zorro Joins Double Fine

Congrats Chris! The Chris Remo Action News post was hilarious. I hope you're not going underground for six years though...

WOO CONGRATS! :tup::tup: This news has been super oblique to parse, but I guess it is like for real and stuff I think. Also a bonus WOO for wearing the Seditious Industrial Complex tee on your first day to work. :tup:

Also, the Double Fine forums need someone to put the foot down. I just visited them for seriously the first time yesterday. The interesting threads in the secret member DFA section consist basically of a developer putting in a 72pt Impact DISCLAIMER at the top of the post that EVERYTHING is TEMPORARY ART as in NOT PERMANENT PLACEHOLDER ASSETS to NEVER EVEN BE CONSIDERED FOR THE FINAL GAME, while they play with the technology and the kinds of things they would like the engine to be able to do—and fully 70% of comments thereafter are people complaining that the art sucks or doesn't fit their own vision. I can see how a community manager willing to lay down the law can make the community-dev interaction more worthwhile for everyone.

Well good for you, Chris...

No, really, cool stuff, congrats!

Is Tim Schafer mocking Marek Bronstring? Is he well known outside of SEGA and Adventure Game fandom? He is a god here though.

Colour me jealous/confused, but what experience does Remo have managing a community? Idle Thumbs is probably the least community managed community outside of 4chan. And whenever he does post here, he tends to stamp his opinion down pretty hard (you know it's true, fanbois and girls).

I would agree but I don't want to get banned or yelled at. Nor do I want to upset the fans. Plus it's possible I could now upset Double Fine.

I've always wondered if being employed by a game company would affect one's ability to do critical journalism like reviews or podcasts. for example would it be frowned upon for Chris to talk negatively about a microsoft or warner brothers game since some of DF's games were published by them?

I get the feeling that it means they will just talk even less about Double Fine games on the podcast. I've noticed they've tended to stray away ever commenting on games their respective companies have made or released recently depending on who is hired where at the time. It's probably for the best since they might cross a line someone at their company doesn't want them to cross or fans might think they are biased towards the games.

I don't know, I would like the podcast to comment on the upcoming DF adventure some, criticism and praise alike. I'm sure it'll happen to some extent, just not extreme.

I would agree but I don't want to get banned or yelled at. Nor do I want to upset the fans. Plus it's possible I could now upset Double Fine.

It would be pretty ironic if Remo banned or yelled at you... not typical behaviour for a community manager. (Hint: I was a community manager for three years. Not that I'm jealous. Ok, I'm jealous.)

Not him specifically, just other people tend to gang up or get mean when Remo writes a disagreeable towards you, since they tend to be, "oh shit," type posts. His real persona on the podcast is way more hilarious, agreeable, and likeable.

This is getting weird. Remo is celebrity status now, so we have to talk like we are TMZ. Forgive me.

I'm pretty sure that much of the work Chris did at Irrational fell under the banner of Community Management, though I might be completely wrong.

All I know is, Chris has never banned me.

Also, Chris' hairstylist tells us ... Sean — who went to cops yesterday and filed a report claiming the 14 kids were living in squalor — tells us she couldn't believe Jake was spending this kind of loot on haircuts when her plumbing didn't work.

I'm jealous 'cause I applied there only a month ago and got no response (albeit, as a programmer). Double Fine is one of the top companies I'd like to work for.

So grats Chris! :shifty:

Chris managed $130,000 out of this community! That's some impressive community managing as far as I'm concerned :P

I'm jealous 'cause I applied there only a month ago and got no response (albeit, as a programmer). Double Fine is one of the top companies I'd like to work for.

So grats Chris! :shifty:

Me too! I know if Psychonaughts 2 ever gets off the ground, I will take a significant pay cut to work with them and possible give up an appendage.

I was just approved to work in the US for 3 years, so... you know... get a move on it Doublefine.

...Psychonaughts 2...

Did you spell it that way on the cover letter for your resume? They may not have called you back for that reason.

I wonder if, like Irrational, (and Nick Breckon at Bethesda) part of why he was hired was to be a podcaster, in addition to community stuff. Double Fine Action Cast would definitely benefit from the Remo seal of quality.

Games

Double Fine Games

Double Fine Games

Double Fine Ga-ames

I had a feeling something like this would happen eventually after move back to SF.

Huge congrats to Chris! You are The Man!

And a big thank you to Tim, he certainly hired an awesome guy to his firm.

EDIT: Haha, now I saw the posting at Double Fines pages, awesome shirt! :tup:People always ask me what the fuck is that shirt when I wear it to work.

Edited by Kolzig

Did you spell it that way on the cover letter for your resume? They may not have called you back for that reason.

I'm an artist, I don't do letters or numbers. : P

I wonder if I could make an indie game that was a spiritual successor and just call it that.

I'm pretty sure that much of the work Chris did at Irrational fell under the banner of Community Management, though I might be completely wrong.

Yeah, I was going to say, Chris was hired as Community Manager for Irrational (though I believe he eventually did some more game-develop-y stuff too), so it's weird to see those comments now.

I assume his experience at Gamasutra and particularly Shacknews (as EIC) probably overlaps quite a bit, too.

Time to chime in with the congrats. Well done, Chris! (Actually saw the tweet earlier this morning, but it seemed too difficult to reply back then.)

Hooray!

Until S.Hammack explained and made me read the thread, I thought the title meant that DF had acquired another game company that was called Zorro.

Until S.Hammack explained and made me read the thread, I thought the title meant that DF had acquired another game company that was called Zorro.

We have. Zorro is a sole proprietorship owned by me.

We have. Zorro is a sole proprietorship owned by me.

Make sure that your contract clearly states that you can take Zorro with you if your employment is terminated! That's how they get you.