toblix

Zorro Joins Double Fine

grats boost!

I'd be fascinated to hear about the process of changing companies in the industry, not that I have plans to leave my current job, but it seems inevitable that change will occur. Interviewing elsewhere while still working, leaving a job and then looking for new opportunities, waiting for projects to finish or not, nda's, inter-state moving, hotels, interview etiquette, balancing personal projects with job jobs. Not so much your motivations but just a discussion of the logistics. Perhaps a few guideposts for curious and career-minded readers.

Several Thumbs have successfully navigated their way through this industry, quite visibly to those who follow the cast, over the last couple of years. I wonder if you guys would ever want to talk about these things, or does that kind of stuff stay behind the curtain.

man, I didn't throw all that money into double fine adventure just so they could hire Chris with it.

*picks up the phone*

hello, Federal Trade Commission? I am upset about video games.

(seriously, though, congrats Chris.)

Congrats! I'm going to expect you to join everything i kickstarter now though.

Congrats Chris! I'm eager to see how DF make the most of having an in-house journalist minstrel.

Is this actually the sign of a job, or is it him doing a piece as a journo?

Edit: Holy crap, he got a job there! ;(

Anyone know doing what?

He's in a position to find out why things turned sour for Ron and Hothead. And also why Erik Wolpaw apparently hated working at DF.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

He's in a position to find out why things turned sour for Ron and Hothead. And also why Erik Wolpaw apparently hated working at DF.

And also now not in a position where he can tell us! At least, probably not a great idea to do it "on the air", as it were.

Man, that's fantastic. Congrats, Remo! I remember the forum being all faux-angry/dejected when you first went off to Shacknews. Ah, the old days. How far we've come.

Community Manager, looks like.

Ex-Community Manager, it seems...

I have to tell you, it was extremely fun to hire Chris after all these years.

But then he accidentally leaked some videos on to twitter and so we fired him.

So long, Chris Remo. Good luck underground! See you in six years!

Colour me jealous/confused, but what experience does Remo have managing a community? Idle Thumbs is probably the least community managed community outside of 4chan. And whenever he does post here, he tends to stamp his opinion down pretty hard (you know it's true, fanbois and girls).

Anyways, I'm jealous. Congrats, Mr. Remo, I'm jealous. Did I mention how jealous I am?

Community management is more than moderating forums. It has a wide range of administrative tasks and includes not just maintaining, but also building communities. It can entail enthusing them for a product or company in a personal and creative way. It's a very broad position dealing also with marketing and editorializing, one that I should gather Chris is well suited for considering his work on Idle Thumbs (site, podcast and Kickstarter) and his work at Irrational.

As I've said on Twitter, congratulations! It's cool that so many people here are getting community management positions all over the world. It's a cool and innovative job, demanding the sort of sparkling personalities Idle Thumbs is proud to deliver after years of brutal forumizing.

I've always wondered if being employed by a game company would affect one's ability to do critical journalism like reviews or podcasts. for example would it be frowned upon for Chris to talk negatively about a microsoft or warner brothers game since some of DF's games were published by them?

I bring this up because I'm so used to seeing it in the movie industry where it's scandalous if an actor slams a movie that it blew my mind when I saw the way it's handled in literature. Authors routinely review and talk shit on other people's books.

But also because I'd be sad if for some reason it was frowned upon for Thumbs to make fun of games like Old Man Clancy's HAW.