Sign in to follow this  
brkl

Preliminary Mount & Blade thread!

Sounds highly optimistic. I'll put Saturday in the Steam group and hope we get enough people.

I would be prepared to get Napoleonic (the setting does interest me more), but it's best to keep these as cheap as possible IMO.

EDIT: Oh, of course I can't make the event. Saturday 8pm GMT!

Sorry, I wasn't really suggesting we play the Napoleonic pack, merely stating that it is fun and that people should check it out. Its very reminiscent of a source mod called Battlegrounds, only better.

I'll probably be playing it at night for the next couple weeks if people are interested in joining.

Okay, so I'm prog_hume on Skype, call me 8pm GMT on Saturday if you want to play. That should be 3pm EST. Or give me your Skype name on Steam (brkl) and I'll add you to the group call. If a group turns up.

Hey, so I got this and Napoleon. I don't know if a Saturday game will be possible but I should be around every so often to play. Being a huge Napoleonic Era history buff I am really excited to see how the Napoleonic stuff plays, although I don't know if I will have much free time to learn the ins and outs of the game (am currently busy with Witcher 2 and CS:GO).

Add me and annoy me if you are looking for a someone to help with the Idle Thumbs Old Guard!

Okay, so I'm prog_hume on Skype, call me 8pm GMT on Saturday if you want to play. That should be 3pm EST. Or give me your Skype name on Steam (brkl) and I'll add you to the group call. If a group turns up.

I'm skratches on skype. Drop me an invite if you see me on steam.

EDIT: Just saw the event is set for sunday same time as ARMA. Are we splitting up the group then?

I won't be around for either ArmA or M&B this weekend due to Guild Wars 2 beta, but I should be up for it after that.

I don't have a mic to talk on skype but I will be around for this. Can I join Skype to just listen in case we want to organise tactics?

I've been playing the Napoleonic DLC and it's really good fun in the battle mode (last man standing).

Oh and I don't have Fire and Sword and don't particularly want to shell out for it. Can we do Warband or Napoleonic please?

We'll do Warband then. I'm sure you can join Skype even without a microphone.

I would love to play Warband (I used to be good at it, but now probably suck) but I agreed to play some Team Fortress with workmates at this time :(

If it makes you feel any better, GW2 is really, really incredible. :tup:

I pretty much had not played the game at all up until this event. So playing it for the first time and figuring it out on the go was quite an experience.

And sorry I don't have the Napoleon DLC thing. It wasn't on sale and quite frankly I did not expect a majority of the group to already have it.

Thanks for having me tag along guys. 'twas fun.:tup:

In some ways it's better. There's less melee, which IMO is pretty bad in these games. Having obscenely slow and inaccurate firearms puts a new spin into multiplayer shooting. However, I think the game modes could be better. Siege seems the best one, but it would really benefit from being more like Rush in Battlefield. The map is just too small and doesn't have enough stages. Of course it's the same in Warband.

I miss the "Horde mode" from Fire & Sword. I thought that was really fun to play with friends and a bit more relaxed. None of the games have anything apart from choosing a flag to make it easy to stick with your friends. In the Co-op mode the game is only about you and your mates, so it's ok to be a bit rubbish.

Napoleon could easily have some kind of units you spawn into and some kind of effort for a command structure and such. You already choose a troop, but that only affects your look and your gear, not for example where and when you spawn.

melee, which IMO is pretty bad in these games.

I disagree. IMHO, Warband is all about the melee, at least in multiplayer. It requires insane amount of practice to be good at it, though.

It certainly does. I find it extremely unresponsive, bad at messaging what's going on and what affects what. Obviously I'm bad at it, but I can't see a reason to put any time to learn such a cumbersome system. The balance seems ludicrous as it seems to favour running around naked as opposed to armoured. It's really weird, but I prefer it in Napoleon because everybody has the same (lack of) armour and mostly similar melee weapons.

Yeah the idea that one needs to swing their mouse (and camera) in order to attack or block in a certain direction seems very flawed. This is made easier by only having two types of attack in Napoleon (high and low). Warband is just a fuddled mess of not being able to do what would be best in a situation because you are trying to keep your camera centered. However, I bet a large part of my distaste comes from the fact I have only played a few hours of vanilla Warband whereas my opponents, I assume, have been playing for a few years.

I'll say that you cannot learn or be proficient with Warband melee in a matter of hours. It takes a lot of time, and half of that is getting to the point where you can make small enough movements that you're not spinning 90 degrees to do things.

I love Warband and it's bizarre melee system but I think the Napoleanic Wars dlc captures a much more fun multiplayer experience.

Personally I quite like the battle modes in these games. Despite the waiting involved if you suffer an early death, I think it gives a bit more tension and purpose to fighting. It forces people to use tactics and stick together a bit more to survive which is what the whole system is really trying to replicate.

I hadn't played vanilla for a while until last night and despite still being crap in a 1 on 1, you can't beat the satisfaction of delivering an arrow to someone's face from afar. It was a lot of fun and hopefully you guys will be up for it again sometime. I think the Napoleon dlc is the way to go. Let's see if we can get the 1st Thumbs of the Line regiment on display. :)

So is it pretty much like this?:

[media=]

[/media]