Sean

The Idle Thumbs Lords Management Consortium - Dota 2, LoL, other Lords Managers unite

I found that posting on the forums doesn't do you any good.  The best way to get into the DOTATODA is hang out in the idlethumbs channel and keep checking in asking for an invite.  Eventually someone with invite powers will be there, and they will invite you.  So with a lot of patience, and a fair bit of spamming you can be part of DOTATODA too! (it took a few months before I found someone with invite powers in the idlethumbs channel)  Supposedly one of the thumbs is going to promote a bunch of people to make it easier to get people in, but I'm not sure if it happened yet or not.

That Channel is a ghost town. I've never seen anyone in it. 

I agree it is at times, but if you've been idling in it all day, there's a refresh button next to the + button that sometimes shows you there's a bunch of people in there.  I know The Last baron frequents it at times, he was the one that sent me my invite.

Dude, yes! I tracked down the Dunkin' Bro-Nuts build (because I loved the name) and it's really cool. I feel like I've learned a lot about Axe :)

That Russian fellow in the comments of the guide is being very rude.

I agree it is at times, but if you've been idling in it all day, there's a refresh button next to the + button that sometimes shows you there's a bunch of people in there.  I know The Last baron frequents it at times, he was the one that sent me my invite.

Haha, unfortunately, I'm not really allowed to idle in DOTA all day while I'm at work. 

I don't think guilds in Dota provide anything but a barrier, people should probably just use the chatroom for organising games. 

What do you guys think of this:

An Idle Thumbs chat room intended for new players. Like players who can't queue in ranked yet. Not that queuing in ranked should be the goal, just using that threshold as a guideline.

Personally, I love dota but I don't get to play a lot. Part of the reason I'm shy about jumping into games with other thumbs is that I don't want to be the dead weight.

Playing in a 5 stack with other likeminded, like-skilled players is probably the most fun scenario. It'd be cool to have a way to get that going here, no guild required.

I'll bet there is a huge range of skill here, and having a way to find people at about the same level might open things up for some.

An Idle Thumbs chat room intended for new players. Like players who can't queue in ranked yet. Not that queuing in ranked should be the goal, just using that threshold as a guideline.

Personally, I love dota but I don't get to play a lot. Part of the reason I'm shy about jumping into games with other thumbs is that I don't want to be the dead weight.

I'd really love to see something like this happen. Giant Bomb tried something similar with a group called "Shoemaker's Army." Unfortunately it just ended up with a couple of people organizing some night to play, lots of people not being free at the same time, and a now seemingly abandoned chat channel. Still, I'm usually too scared of being the worst DOTA player in the world to play anything other than bot matches, and playing with other people of a less-skilled but also less angry persuasion could be cool.

It really is a shame, the IdleThumbs chat channel has died a complete and utter death, I havent seen a post in it for at least 2 months, is the DOTATODA any better? I'm an officer for the Dota Insight Podcast guild and ive found its necessary too keep the nonguild chat channel open all the time so I dont miss any invite requests.

From my experience, I feel it could be a flaw in the system in general. The chat channels really helped me make some new friends and find people too play with early on (I was new to steam as well as Dota) but, I have now become kind of self sustaining. My friends list is full of people that play Dota, I have 2 or 3 groups that I play with regularly, who often introduce me too new players. And my generally pleasant demeanor in my Match Making often lands me a post game friend request. All this is too say, i donet "need" the chat channel anymore and i can see that being a common theme among other players. After that first initial burst, the incentive too participate in the chats diminishes.

The one exception for me being the Giantbomb chat, which is the only channel I idle is that is consistently active.

I'm one of over at gamerswithjobs.com DOTA guild. While I don't have the public chat open, I always make sure to have an eye the forum, and space on my friends list so I can add people to the official guild. That's how I handle at least.

I'm still not in DOTATODA. I think I'll just give up for now --but , if anyone wants to join the GWJ guild, let me know. : p

It probably helps to establish yourself in the forum community here as well. Just popping in and having your only posts in this thread doesn't let people get to know you. The Last Baron invited me to the guild (thanks, bud!) after we added eachother on Steam, but I had already interacted on the forums quite a bit before then. I think it's fair that those who have invite powers aren't willy-nilly about it.

So...should I ask about people's fun with the Meepo bug? I'm kinda at a loss here. I only posted in the forums, because that's what they mentioned to do in the Podcast. I didn't realize there was...an interview process?

I think SGP mostly just meant "it'd help with getting noticed", because people aren't always around, and if someone recognizes you, it's easier to remember to invite you. But yeah there's no prerequisite. Just weird phrasing. (I hope!)

I'm not sure how many people we even have who can invite other people. There's Sean, obviously. And TheLastBaron. And...

Playing in a 5 stack with other likeminded, like-skilled players is probably the most fun scenario. It'd be cool to have a way to get that going here, no guild required.

I'll bet there is a huge range of skill here, and having a way to find people at about the same level might open things up for some.

I have zero Dota 2 experience and would be interested in something like this to dip my toes in the water.

I'm currently experiencing the DotA 2 tutorials. I feel dirty somehow. But here I am.

I'm currently experiencing the DotA 2 tutorials. I feel dirty somehow. But here I am.

Keep going, you never stop feeling dirty, you just slowly start too like it.

Keep going, you never stop feeling dirty, you just slowly start too like it.

I just watched a team match, focused on watching someone control the Templar Assassin. Not out of wanting to learn how to play that lord, but to see how more skilled people play.

And the gulf of control, between me and them, is staggering.

They do so much in terms of button presses in a single second than I can think to do in 10. My god. But now I'm reading some stuff online about heroes I've tried, TIPS AND TRICKS. Biggest tip I've learned; don't sway the balance of your creeps too fast or else you fight too close to the enemy towers.

I just watched a team match, focused on watching someone control the Templar Assassin. Not out of wanting to learn how to play that lord, but to see how more skilled people play.

And the gulf of control, between me and them, is staggering.

They do so much in terms of button presses in a single second than I can think to do in 10. My god. But now I'm reading some stuff online about heroes I've tried, TIPS AND TRICKS. Biggest tip I've learned; don't sway the balance of your creeps too fast or else you fight too close to the enemy towers.

Yer, thats a big hurdle for new players. Have you read "Welcome to DOTA, you suck!" Yet?

http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck#.UxzgBdOnzFo

Man I just had my first online match. We won, but it was an uphill battle and I definitely learned along the way. But it felt good. Not the win, just being able to play and not have my team berate me or be the reason for a loss. I'm putting this up on my refridgerator:

firstdota2win_zps63d3c919.jpg