Sean

The Idle Thumbs Lords Management Consortium - Dota 2, LoL, other Lords Managers unite

Is anyone else keeping up with the LoL world championship going on right now? It's showing some fascinating tests of the styles and skill of the different regions. There's already some very interesting results. Dead favourite team SKT1 has already dropped a game, as did EU winners Fnatic and Lemondogs - but Gambit from (previously Moscow 5) which squeaked in by the skin of their teeth have absolutely crushed their opposition including the other main contender from Korea, Ozone. The only other team to go undefeated on day 1, OMG from China, has showed what chinese LoL is all about: roaming gank squads from second 1 that just aggress all over the place.

I was not very interested in the beginning because my favourite team (Evil Geniuses, formerly CLG.EU) isn't participating, but the level of the competition is definitely getting me excited.

The only other team to go undefeated on day 1, OMG from China, has showed what chinese LoL is all about: roaming gank squads from second 1 that just aggress all over the place.

What the hell.

This is interesting to me, as Chinese Dota is a much safer game, all about farming until you're absolutely sure you won't lose a fight.

It's not, really. There are always exceptions, but that's still the primary Chinese Dota.

Yeah, the LoL World Championships has been really entertaining even in the group stages. EU teams are showing the rest of the world that they're still in it despite not getting an automatic seed in the tournament.

Yeah group B is basically EU kicking ass and taking names. It's pretty amazing. Gambit and Fnatic are doing great. It would be very cool to see Fnatic take worlds again. They've been the most consistently good team in League, I think.

It's not, really. There are always exceptions, but that's still the primary Chinese Dota.

It's certainly what the best teams in China are doing, especially so at TI3. The majority of teams in China aren't doing it however.

Unfortunately neither NA team managed to make it out of the group stage, Cloud9 is the last hope. Although to be fair OMG and SKT T1 both look extremely good, like potential champions good. Fnatic looks good too but it's hard to say considering how shaky the other teams in their group have been. I don't think the second team to make it out of group B (they're playing the tiebreaker now) will get past the quarter finals unless they get a lucky draw. 

Edit: Well, at least that tiebreaker game was good fun. 

I cannot get over how different Chinese Lol seems to Chinese DOTA. OMG are the most aggressive ganking team I have even seen

Also it's interesting to watch how different regions have different styles - Jungle Yorick( China)Annie (Korea)  in particular. The only thing from China the rest of the world picked up on was 3 man tower attacks which Riot nerfed although that doesn't seemed to have stopped OMG.

I do agree that Fnatic seem to be the most consistent EU team. They are like Na'vi in that while they mighnt't win everything they won't be too far off on the international scene. Lemondogs on the other hand just don't seem to be able to get it together. I do think that if Fnatic and Gambit were up against OMG and SK1 they might'nt have made it out of the group which is looking to be really exciting.

I've tried out one of the new kids on the block, Prime World. I've always had a soft spot for Nival so hey, why not.

Trip report: very janky. It's only when trying out these kind of second-tier lomas that I realise just how right League and Dota get it.

It has some funky ideas, like entwining leveling and items, and some fairly clever map modes inlcuding coop ones. But I doubt this one will catch many people.

Trip report: very janky. It's only when trying out these kind of second-tier lomas that I realise just how right League and Dota get it.

Innit, though? Every time I try one of the BIG NEW ENTRIES IN THE GENRE I am kind of awestruck at how much they fall on the mediocre-to-bad side of the scale. With such great examples, how do they get it wrong?

I'm significantly more forgiving, as long as they're trying new structures, new mechanic ideas, but too often that is not the case.

Well, the reason they get it wrong is presumably that it is just really frickin' hard to get that right. As a programmer I'm sure I don't need to tell you how the combination of rendering pipeline, input lag, netcode etc. could be extremely difficult to tune to the degree of precision that the best games manage.

I can only imagine how depressing it must be for the people developing and releasing these second-tier games. They're obviously not idiots so they're gonna be aware it's not as good.

Sure. I guess what I meant more was that I'm amazed they even try - for the reason you stated. It's got to be such a downer. Then again, I guess it's not usually the people actually WORKING on the game that make the decision to make that game.

I'd love to get an invite to the Dota2 guild, if anyone can do that. None of my real life friends play so I'd like some cool dudes and ladies to play with instead of randos. My Steam username is SixFootAwesome, too.

Thanks!

Hey I'd love to get a Dota 2 guild invite to be able to play with some nice people. I've only played with randoms and its taking me ages to learn anything, although I have become an expert at being yelled at for allowing people to die rather than letting them kill me as well.

SteamID: Macksujin

Howdy! Avid listener of the casts.  Was hoping I could figure out what type of sacrifice I must commit to join the Dota Today guild?  It seems that nicely asking in the barren idlethumbs dota 2 channel doesn't work! =P

Edit: Oh yea, I forgot, my steam id is also RyanRad and it has a avatar picture of Omniknight.

I keep forgetting to ask to get into the dota today guild.  Steam: Forbin

I love the DotaToday guild but I never find anyone to que with. Everyone seems to be AFK in the chat.

I wanna get those ranked games out of the way.