Sean

The Idle Thumbs Lords Management Consortium - Dota 2, LoL, other Lords Managers unite

So, a friend and I are relatively inexperienced in Lords Management and I'm super intimidated by the idea of doing random groups when I'm awful and getting yelled at by strangers on the internet for being bad at video games. Is there anyone out there who'd tolerate playing with us and showing us some of the ropes?

Edit: I should say, I'll be in channel as Doctor Bismuth Aquatic, though I run through gimmick names pretty regularly.

Centaur is unintentionally strong apparently, await a fix for that dude.

Aw nuts, and I was having such a hell of a time playing him.

Hey everyone. This is my first post on these forums, having listened to the Thumbs for a few years now, and having played Dota 2 since getting into the beta back in February. I'm a member of NeoGAF and some other communities, but I don't really jive with the way they seem to play Dota. I'm looking for something a little more casual. I've got time for a match or maybe two once or twice a week, if I plan on getting any sleep or doing any reading or playing of other games.

Anyway, I'll be in the Steam group and in-client chat channel when I'm playing. Look for MonolithicTentacledAbomination. My claim to fame is I'm pretty sure I'm the reader Vanaman was talking about who recognized him in game the first time Dota was brought up on one of the kickstarter progresscasts. I was like "Famous Vanaman?," and he was like "Goddamn it... lol."

Also just joined the thumbs forums. Looking for some Lording in Dota 2, If you see me in the Thumbs channel as B-Heart i'm always up for a game. I make a decent support, being a carry scares me hahah

I played 3 rounds of Diretide so far. The first 2 parts of the mode is the kind of derping experience I've been waiting for in a LoMa game.

Now, if only the last part wasn't the long and tedious mess I witnessed (as no one coordinated with anyone), it'd be even better.

I thought it was lame, but I only gave it one shot. Maybe I just need time to adjust. I'll give it more time tonight.

The only cool thing about it was both teams teaming up to take down super roshan as fast as possible at the end. Still like the idea of valve trying new modes though

I find it hilarious that the Roshan fight is essentially a dungeon boss from an MMO. He has a pattern, if you ignore it you die. The only difference is you don't need to rely on other people to revive.

It just further convinces me that Dota could support a co-op experience pretty well, if they script the bosses more appropriately to the style of gameplay, and maybe change up the items available for the mode, or make some hero-type-exclusive items to support a more dynamic thing and and or and or or and.

Also, thinking on it, I don't hate it as much as I thought I did. I think I will enjoy it more tonight.

Also also, I agree with Sully. Can't wait for more mode experimentation from Valve. This is a pretty radical change from the base game, and I love it for that, even if I don't think it's perfect.

even if I don't think it's perfect.

Tying your performance to items in possibly the most poorly balanced competitive multiplayer mode I've ever seen in gaming turns people into the worst jagoffs. I don't like this mode.

Tying your performance to items in possibly the most poorly balanced competitive multiplayer mode I've ever seen in gaming turns people into the worst jagoffs. I don't like this mode.

That hasn't been my experience at all, in the 10 or so games I've played people have been a lot better than in matchmaking, probably because whatever happens you get items anyways, and in the Rosh fight you are working together already.

What. The only asshole on my team was a guy who clearly didn't enjoy the game mode, anyway, items or otherwise. The other team was completely friendly, despite dominating us - a nice change of pace from the trash-talk prevalent otherwise. Not that I have anything against trash-talk, but it does get tiresome.

It just further convinces me that Dota could support a co-op experience pretty well, if they script the bosses more appropriately to the style of gameplay, and maybe change up the items available for the mode, or make some hero-type-exclusive items to support a more dynamic thing and and or and or or and.

The early days of WC3 maps included a lot of this and I've always been sad that it was forgotten. That and the arena maps need to make a comeback in Dota 2.

Yeah I'm aware it's been done before, although I've never actually tried it in any form. It's such an obvious thing, though. I'm confident Valve will at least try this stuff out later.

bakka: What are the arena maps? Everyone leveled up completely, fully decked out, kinda like WoW arenas? Or something else?

I would love to see something equivalent of the starcraft micro challenge custom maps.

Maybe something like you and one here each at level 1, with 3 waves of creeps, and whoever gets more last hits gets the "point" And then it moves onto another mini game.

bakka: What are the arena maps? Everyone leveled up completely, fully decked out, kinda like WoW arenas? Or something else?

Some were that, others had you level and buy your own gear. There was a lot of experimentation going on. Perhaps my favorite were the maps that would make two random players fight while everyone else spectated. I doubt these maps were as rad as I remember; there must be some reason Tower Defense and DoTA left them behind. I'd still like the chance to get another crack at them in Dota 2.

talk about a nostalgia rush!

Some were that, others had you level and buy your own gear. There was a lot of experimentation going on. Perhaps my favorite were the maps that would make two random players fight while everyone else spectated. I doubt these maps were as rad as I remember; there must be some reason Tower Defense and DoTA left them behind. I'd still like the chance to get another crack at them in Dota 2.

talk about a nostalgia rush!

Hero Arena maps were pretty rad, and they didn't get left behind by TD and DotA maps, they just didn't get as big. Fight of Characters was always super popular though, as well as some others. I do hope at some point people can make custom maps for Dota 2 (maybe even be able to submit them to the workshop?) and it would be awesome if it sort of became like a new version of Wc3 in terms of the custom map community, since that's not going to happen in SC2. Also, a Dota 2 version of Darwin's Island or DBZ Tribute would be amazing.

All this talk convinced me to take a deeper look at the history of TD and LoMas. Which is good because all I really had planned for the weekend was Diretide.

I'm loving the Diretide stuff. It's a nice change of pace from regular old dota and I've gotten some rare items out of it. The teams I'm on usually just all rush the other sides pumpkin, no real strategy, just a fun halloween event. love it!

I've seen some legit strategies develop for this mode (Undying and Tide and Jakiro all together really fucking hurts). I've also seen people go balls out stupid and just bumrush each other for the entire game. Either way is fun to me. U:

I hope Valve takes the idea and makes it a permanent fixture in Dota 2, hopefully with a brand new map designed specifically for the mode. I like it more every time I play it. X:

I've just had a revelation as to how these people are getting such ridiculous times on Roshan! FORTY-FOUR SECONDS.

Obviously, both teams work together. The trick is, you have some people running back and forth carrying candy from one bucket to the other, and others getting candy from the baby roshans. Candy gives so much gold and XP that in twenty minutes, you can more than reach your max level/item build. Also, obviously, they don't give Roshan any candy, as that just makes him stronger. U:

Probably other people realize this faster than me.

I am now a Dota 2 participant (thanks gringor)! Any suggestions for how a total newb should approach this game? I don't want to get yelled at.