Sean

The Idle Thumbs Lords Management Consortium - Dota 2, LoL, other Lords Managers unite

Players better than bots? Interesting you say that. In the first co-op bot match I played, we lost horribly and one of the team members yelled at us all for wasting his time. Needless to say I went back to bots after that, but I might give it another shot.

Comforting to know that I'm already across all the tips you mentioned, but HOLY SHIT I didn't even realise you could turn off auto-attack. Looking forward to not mashing buttons, thanks!

I'll definitely keep working at getting more matches under my belt, just hope that I don't run into too many other Carries.

If you want to play Drow you really need to practice last hitting as well. If you get good at last hitting you will win because you will simply just have more gold than anyone else.

Co-op versus bots is a pretty pointless exercise if you ask me.

yea last hitting and denying, and along with that, knowing when to do that to keep the lane closer to your tower then theres, is probably the single most important part of the game. Winning that opening laning phase goes a long way towards winning the game. but the cool thing about dota, is that it doesn't completely decide it.

Drow is also good beginner lord because of her passive and built in agi bonus, easier to come back as her with that built in dps cushion

If you want to play Drow you really need to practice last hitting as well. If you get good at last hitting you will win because you will simply just have more gold than anyone else.

Co-op versus bots is a pretty pointless exercise if you ask me.

You can abandon for free, if you're just starting out and trying heros who you have obviously never played before you can practice in an environment where you wont have other people calling you a faggot and telling you to uninstall for 40 minutes/ go back to LoL if you feed. Also bots are a lot better at last-hitting and denying than most people so it's good to practice when you're trying to get better at it, though they are pretty bad at a lot of stuff so using them for real practice won't help that much since a lot of things wont carry over since humans don't play like bots at all.

Skeleton King is a super good hero to start with, he only has one active skill which is a stun and then has 3 passives, his ult being basically a free Aegis. Veno is also good, he's a support hero with some slows and DoTs and he has wards you can place. Play around with him and try to place wards, it'll help you get a hang of how much positioning and vision can impact the game. Having one off to the side if your team is pushing can save you a lot of the time when the other team comes to engage. Most supports are good for beginning players, obviously since they're not very farm dependent you don't need pro last hitting skills to do well. CM is another support hero who is super easy to pick up, she has awesome utility with a slow, a interrupt/root, and a global mana regen aura.

Neither Drow nor Skeleton King are good heroes to start with! Stop it!

Last hitting and the lane dynamics that result from it are of the hardest things to learn! You actually need items to do well. That's hard. Having less skills doesn't make those two heroes easier. ):

Sure they do! Certain supports are easy though. I might not also remember what it's like to be new to lords management

Last hitting and the lane dynamics that result from it are of the hardest things to learn!

It's a huge part of the game, if you're going to learn the game you're going to have to learn about last hitting and laning. Unless you jungle/roam it's a factor for you in in every game you play .

I would say that SK is an easy hero, and having only one active ability makes him easier to pick up because it's one less thing to have to focus on. Also, it's not just that it's only 1 active ability, it's that it's a simple ability. It's a damage + a stun and slow so mechanically it's very unambiguous. It also has a super low cooldown so you don't how to worry about wasting it like you would with something with a 30+ second cooldown or a huge teamfight cooldown, and it's not a skillshot so aiming/positioning isn't really a factor outside making sure to be in the range which is like 500 or so so it's pretty easy. I see no reason not to recommend SK to a beginner.

Last hitting and the lane dynamics that result from it are of the hardest things to learn! You actually need items to do well. That's hard. Having less skills doesn't make those two heroes easier. ):

The only items you need on Skeleton King are a Soul Ring, Phase Boots and a Refresher Orb. ~6000 gold. This cannot be disputed.

I couldn't agree with Twig more, a new player should not be playing farm heavy heroes like Drow and Leoric. Especially so for those two heroes because they are so susceptible to ganks. You're leaving your team at a horrible disadvantage when your carry doesn't know how to farm effectively. We tried this recently and had to basically 4v5 every game we played.

edit: For my money, Beastmaster is a great beginner hero.

It's a huge part of the game, if you're going to learn the game you're going to have to learn about last hitting and laning. Unless you jungle/roam it's a factor for you in in every game you play .

Yes, but that's got nothing to do with which heroes are best for beginners!

edit: For my money, Beastmaster is a great beginner hero.

What! No! Then you have to deal with controlling extra units!

Lich and Tide are and always will be the easiest beginner heroes. As long as they don't miss their ults, they're still at least marginally useful. It's hard to actively make the game WORSE unless you're feeding. A fucked up Drow or SK can literally lose you the game by not having the proper farm but being forced to participate, anyway.

Well by best hero for beginners I figured what was being asked was what hero to play to learn the game, not what hero can you play if you don't know the game and still be successful. We've already address that obviously supports are the best for beginners because you aren't farm dependent, but just playing supports will only get you so far, and when you have to play a carry SK is one of the easiest. When you have a semi spammable 2 second stun, a lifesteal aura, and a free aegis, not to mention being less farm dependent than other carries, you have a lot more wiggle room compared to other carries. I would also say that CM is easier than Tide because landing a great Tide ult is a lot harder than playing CM, especially is you keep dying and can't get a blink, not to say that Tide isn't a good hero for a beginner.

Also one thing about playing a carry vs a support as a beginner, you'll get a lot better idea of how well you are actually doing. With a support where you may be super under-leveled and have 0 farm and items and keep dying and feel like you're doing something wrong though you don't know what, but in reality a lot of the times you'll be doing fine, or at least as good as can be expected given the situation in that game. Knowing what you're doing wrong or what you can improve on is a huge factor in learning the game, or anything. The main factor, however, is still just playing the game.

Edit: I also wouldn't agree with Drow as she is a very farm dependent carry, and BM in general is not a great hero for a beginner.

What! No! Then you have to deal with controlling extra units!

Yeah but it's not like Chen creeps, you make the boar auto-attack your target and you send your hawk to scout (plus you can totally pass the bird to someone else, the boar is just drag and click). Beastmaster doesn't need a great deal of farm, is a great lane presence on any lane, and is very hard to mess up big time. I think he teaches a lot more about the game than most other heroes as well.

Just random and pray you don't get invoker.

Anyone else been having client problems? ever since the last patch every single game at least once at some pint ive lagged out for ~30 seconds and when I come back all the other teams towers aren't there, like it looks like we've cleared all their buildings including the ancient. I've also noticed other people dc'ing in my games a lot more frequently.

Oh! I assumed it was my house internet, but i got that exact thing in my lat game. There was some weird teleport and HP bar bugs for a few mins after the lag as well.

Man, I just played two games in a row as tidehunter, a hero I almost never use, and I guess I see why he's picked so much, he's fucking good man, free damage reduction, that ult with like a million range, and that one AOE skill has like a 4 second cooldown at level 4 fof 225 damage? Someone needs a nerf. In my second game ever online with him i went like 15-3-25

Wierd lag on dazzle this time. My connection checked out just fin right after the match.

Dazzle is great.

Man, I just played two games in a row as tidehunter, a hero I almost never use, and I guess I see why he's picked so much, he's fucking good man, free damage reduction, that ult with like a million range, and that one AOE skill has like a 4 second cooldown at level 4 fof 225 damage? Someone needs a nerf. In my second game ever online with him i went like 15-3-25

Plus he clearly has the best hats

I have shark hat and the flag. Just dropped a chest. For nobody else do I give a shit what is in the chest:D

i have the dinosaur bone mask and a cool hammerhead club i got from the summer chest for him

Last night I played Tide in a solo lane versus a Spectre and dominated. It was quite hilarious and sad, but I didn't feel bad about it because the Spectre started blaming her teammates when I knew it was actually just because she was bad.