Sean

The Idle Thumbs Lords Management Consortium - Dota 2, LoL, other Lords Managers unite

I'm really asking more of where I can go talk to people here in real time and ask questions, rather than how to find the rote tactics and mechanics of a particular hero. If I jump back in, I'd like it to be with an organized group who can lead a neophyte into the forest and it's better to be up front and chat first. :)

If it's somewhere earlier in the thread I apologize, I must have missed it. Also thanks for the heads up on bots, when I fired it up before I don't think bots were an option.

What's the best way to learn about what items you should buy and when? That's the biggest thing I've been having problems with. I know I'll get better playing with characters the more I use them but I have no idea what items are good to buy other than that you should buy items that boost the main stat of your character. Oh, and maybe some boots.

I'd also be willing to play with other people that are also awful at the game so we can all get better at the same time. Playing bots most of the time can get old sometimes

Badfinger: open up your autoexec.cfg file somewhere in the Dota 2 folder and add "join_chat IdleThumbs" to it. I think that's the command. There're generally a couple people sitting in there. Other than that, keep posting here, I guess. U:

Oh, there's a Lords Management Consortium Steam group somewhere, I believe!

LeChimp: For the most part the recommended items aren't bad. The best way of learning is just to play a bunch and figure out what works where. If nothing else, you can always ask whomever you're playing with. In my experience, as long as you ask BEFORE fucking up, people don't hold it against you too much!

Yep, linked in the first post of this thread. There's also a link in the sidebar of the Idle Thumbs blog.

http://steamcommunit...roups/idlelords

Just joined it. I've been pretty hostile towards the genre ever since DotA All Stars and it's toxic community and thought LoL was a bit tough to get into. I still don't have beta access to Dota 2 though, so whenever that happens, hopefully you guys can cuddle me under your kind wings.

Edit: Scratch that... just checked my list and it's there but I was never notified of it. Installing now.

Badfinger: open up your autoexec.cfg file somewhere in the Dota 2 folder and add "join_chat IdleThumbs" to it. I think that's the command. There're generally a couple people sitting in there. Other than that, keep posting here, I guess. U:

Oh, there's a Lords Management Consortium Steam group somewhere, I believe!

LeChimp: For the most part the recommended items aren't bad. The best way of learning is just to play a bunch and figure out what works where. If nothing else, you can always ask whomever you're playing with. In my experience, as long as you ask BEFORE fucking up, people don't hold it against you too much!

Cool, I will do that thank you.

I have actually been a consortium member for a week or two! I was persuaded to join via the talking it up on the progress/casts. I'm plain old "Badfinger", same avatar on Steam. I would be more than happy to junk around with fellow incompetents and learn things. For example, what the hell is the courier.

e: since this is as good a place as any to ask, maybe someone could recommend good crossovers of similar characters from LoL to Dota? I started jungling because no one else ever did, and I'll say I'm... competent? at it. I really like Udyr, Nocturne, Nautilus, Riven, Olaf, Warwick. For carries I like Ashe and Graves, and I like playing support characters as well.

Jungling in DotA is a whole different bag, I'm afraid. That said, look into N'aix to start with, as he's very similar to Warwicks fire and forget jungling method. Not to mention an absolute monster if he gets built. I'd recommend Dark Seer but his easy jungling method (smoke) was completely destroyed by the last patch.

17/5/14 game as phantom lancer, we won 4 v 5 too, silly game.

As for characters from lol that are similar, drow is a lot like ashe, mirana has her stun arrow too. Uhh...there's not alot of straight copies as much as lol characters took certain aspects of dota champs and mish-mashed abilities. I'd just play a few all pick games maybe to get used to the more complex mechanics then hit single draft so you're forced into trying things. The only character I find you seriously need to read a guide for is invoker, he's the one lord i'll never go near because i'm too lazy to read up on him.

I'd throw ursa in there for easy jungle too. Also if you're not familiar with dota, naix = lifestealer :P

Naix is so much better in lane than in jungle.

Dark Seer is easy to jungle with. You don't need smoke, either. Ion shell kills stuff fast enough. Stout shield, one set of tangos, three branches, farm until you're low on health. Run back to the fountain to heal, and you'll never need to go back again until the teamfight phase begins, and even then, only really for mana.

I j use played a DS solo horrid lane. It went rather well I'm glad to say. I hit around 2 champs total with my wall the entire game, but I did my work and kept them busy while our ck and keeper farmed:)

DS is one of the better side-lane solo lanes, too. (DS is all-around rad.)

Anyone with the ability to summon minions or control neutrals can jungle very well. This includes Nature's Prophet, Chen, Enchantress, Enigma, or Lycan. A lot of people jungle Lone Druid for some reason, but imo he's much, much better in lane.

Non-minion junglers are: Dark Seer, Axe, Ursa, Lifestealer. More, somewhere. I'd have to look at the list of all heroes. U:

Minion non-junglers are: Broodmother... uh, that's all I can think of. Although a good BM will still send her spiders into the jungle once she has enough, just to make a bit extra gold.

Also, Necrolyte is the best jungler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drph3kcGnqg

You don't need a jungler in dota. Jungling is a really really bad idea unless you have two competent solo heroes on your team. A new player isn't going to be a very good at jungling. New players tend to sit in the jungle for 15minutes trying to get their core items, while their team loses all the lanes.

LoL lords and items doesn't really translate well to dota2. Riot managed to take a fun game (dota) and make it really boring and uninteresting, so some of the mechanics are pretty different. The biggest pro-tip for LoL players is: don't use a mana ability unless you are going for the kill, or to save your own or a team mates life.

What's the best way to learn about what items you should buy and when? That's the biggest thing I've been having problems with. I know I'll get better playing with characters the more I use them but I have no idea what items are good to buy other than that you should buy items that boost the main stat of your character. Oh, and maybe some boots.

Some heroes have really awful stat gain, and will benefit very little from +stat items. You pick items based on what your team is, and what your team wants to do. You also pick items based on what the enemy team is, and what they want to do. Unless you are a carry you can never go wrong with: Arcane boots, mekanasm, pipe of insight, urn of shadows.

Buy phase boots on heroes which need the run speed to position well (e.g. shadow shaman) or heroes which need the +damage (e.g. bounty hunter). Power threads is nice for heroes which need the stats and the attack speed, most carries fall into this category (e.g. skeleton king, anti-mage, faceless void) with some exceptions like (Spectre wants the +damage from phase boots). Arcanes on support or heroes that transition into Bloodstone late game (e.g. leshrac, storm spirit, death prophet). Tranquil boots are only for pudge.

Watch and learn this if you play a hero with threads a lot.

We should organise a Ryder Thumb-Cup some evening. And then a wizards only game.

That treads switching vid did a great job of articulating which situations to use it in. I'm going to work on incorporating that into my game. Especially key considering I like to play strength heroes, and mana is often an issue

I made another video. X:

My friend is really good at picking fitting music for my videos. X:

It makes me jealous how good you are twig. I only pull off plays like that once every 10 games heh

I mean, I do pick and choose. I have my bad games! Plus, as you can see, we were already winning, anyway. (Mostly because of me, but that's beside the point, right?)

There were at least three times where the enemy team basically let you live while across the river (where in the hell is the tornado/coldsnap/sunstrike/blast from invoker? you were definitely in snap range while you went down the ramp :( ), and that saddens me, because seeing Leshrac go unpunished for freely pushing towers is one of the most depressing things in DotA. Stop beating up on idiots, Twig. :getmecoat

E: I just realized Windrunner could have canceled the Powershot as well, which would have alleviated the initial mistarget.

Juggernaut did pretty much everything he could before I killed him. I have no idea what you mean by "the wrong way". He ran directly to me and did 90% of the damage to me. He even stopped my stun once with his ult (which ministuns on the first hit - something I didn't even know until that moment). I dodged Windrunner's powershot (as in, I knew it was coming and sidestepped it intentionally) before running down the river, and then went into the fog by the ward spot just before she tossed her shackle (you can see the animation start up and end). She wasn't able to use powershot again until the rest of my team showed up. I even just watched and counted up the nine seconds.

Invoker should've killed me, but he's the only one who did anything truly wrong.

EDIT: Ooooh, you edited your post because you realized how wrong and also dumb you are! Thank goodness!

Sorry, I did good there. Aside from the Invoker, I completely outplayed them. :3 Well, technically I outplayed him, too, but that's because he was bad, rather than because I did something good.