Sean

The Idle Thumbs Lords Management Consortium - Dota 2, LoL, other Lords Managers unite

nice one twig. i like when he gets pissed off and wanders off from your chasing game:)

I just played with some guys from an irish forum i go to. they all have played lots and lots of dota1 which i hadn't realised before joining. they seemed to be working on some hive mind where everyone else but me knew where we were all supposed to be and what we were supposed be doing. even the 1 pug guy we had was like this. it was somewhat scary, but they were very nice when i randomed alchemist in the 1st match! we won the second after a chat about the strategy we were going to use.

New meta, everybody roam!

Friend DC'd during character select, came back to alchemist. Decided to roam. Other friend decided to follow suit as Dragon Knight. I was mid Viper. Got enemy Pudge immediately, no problem. Eventually I die and Alch takes over mid. We swapped every time somebody died.

Ultimate strategy. Super destroy! Enemy team loses. :tup:

This is from that game.

[media=]

[/media]

I enjoy making these videos.

EDIT: Another!

Sometimes I really do feel like an asshole because we stomp the other team so hard, but they make for amusing little things like this.

Also normally I wouldn't embed the videos when I post a whole bunch of them like this, because it takes up a lot of vertical space, but this forum does that automatically!

hah, had a treant try that with me too, except we could see him right away, he realized it but my 15 phantom lancer clones blocked him from moving anywhere

Damn, is anyone here good with phantom lancer? no matter how many games i play with him I can't seem to get consisntently good. He's so squishy early I lose the laning battle, dont get enough last hits, and without items he's useless late game. I max out the walk and the spear first, and I try to harrass in lane, but its tough as hell to farm enough sometimes

I've been maxing the walk last, I've done well with him but like PA it seems im cursed to lose no matter how well i do. I max spear first because it's pretty annoying harrass early on

Well when you get reported you go into the low priority queue for matchmaking, and the opposite is also true, only with high prioirty match making. Last time I logged it I got a message saying that action had been taken against one or more of the people I had reported so I guess they're taking effort to make it more apparent.

I agree with the videos thing for learning the game as a new player, but I actually like Purge unlike everyone else. In some of his videos he comes off as a huge dick and at first it was off putting to me, btu the thing to keep in mind is that in a lot of his videos (and every single one when he's been a douche that I've seen) he is playing with real life friends, like ones he's known since he was a kid, so he's pretty hard on them. He's addressed it and acknowledged that he's mean to them, but that he knows they don't take it personally and if you watch any of the games he plays with fans or his stream he's completely different. He's actually a really nice guy. Even if you don't watch his hero games, his gameplay guides on things like how to spend starting gold, how to outlane your opponents, how to solo the hardlane, ect. are incredibly helpful especially if you are just starting out.

There is no high-priority matchmaking (it is a myth). If there were that would be pretty dumb considering there are assholes with thousands of commends because of spamming the chat channels for them, and getting reporting does not make you lose commendations. Hopefully the commendation/reporting system is still WIP because at the moment it isn't very effective. Commendations at the moment does not actually do anything at all, which is probably why that high-priority matchmaking myth poped up.

Damn, is anyone here good with phantom lancer? no matter how many games i play with him I can't seem to get consisntently good. He's so squishy early I lose the laning battle, dont get enough last hits, and without items he's useless late game. I max out the walk and the spear first, and I try to harrass in lane, but its tough as hell to farm enough sometimes

Phantom lancer isn't one of those heroes you can get good at and win games. Phantom lancer is good with/against certain heroes, but is completely worthless with/against others.

Max out Q and W first, the passive is pretty useless early on. Same goes for the ultimate, only get it at level 10+ OR if you need the magic resistance to stay in lane. Build agility items since illusions gain the agility from items as well. http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Illusions see this list for what effects illusions can use. I usually get vanguard, diffusal blade and butterfly on PL. Radiance is only good if you spread your illusions around the map to farm since the aura doesn't stack.

There are few heroes in the pool that I wouldn't give a farmed Phantom Lancer the edge over. Outworld Destroyer (a hard counter to PL), Spectre, Faceless Void, and Mortred are probably it for me. Even then Void would need his ult and Mortred would need lots of crits. The problem with PL is that he doesn't have much usefulness until the late game. Once PL is farmed he can 1v5 his way to victory, before that you're a low damage nuke and another dead hero. Most games just don't go on long enough for Phantom Lancer to be any good. Still, he's a hell of a lot better than Alchemist and Sniper.

Been playing with some Lords more recently. It's pretty embarrassing how much new TF2 loot dropping system is affecting my drive to actually play.

Anyway, I have some questions. How good are the recommended builds? I came from LoL where they were godawful and never to be touched, but so far in Dota I've just been sticking to the recommended one and doing ok. And how many TP scrolls should I be buying per game? I feel like I'm buying too many and sinking way too much gold.

I think they are generally ok. They go for restoration/stats first and then branch out. One thing i've noticed is that some of the late game items can be very expensive for a newcomer to afford. If you are as bad at lat hits, and die as much as me it might be easier to replace them with some cheaper alternatives (force staff:D).

Been playing with some Lords more recently. It's pretty embarrassing how much new TF2 loot dropping system is affecting my drive to actually play.

Anyway, I have some questions. How good are the recommended builds? I came from LoL where they were godawful and never to be touched, but so far in Dota I've just been sticking to the recommended one and doing ok. And how many TP scrolls should I be buying per game? I feel like I'm buying too many and sinking way too much gold.

You should ideally always have a slot open for a TP scroll, and always have one in there. It may seem like a lot of gold over the course of the game, but the towers it'll save you and the ganks you can turn around are always worth it. Even if you're swimming in gold, replace one of your early items with a better version, rather than going to 6 items. Unless all your towers are gone then go ahead. And always keep in mind money for buybacks.

Whats the name of the Idle thumbs channel in dota2 that sean mentioned?

Whats the name of the Idle thumbs channel in dota2 that sean mentioned?

It's kind of hard to track down, you just have to go to the channel list, and scroll down until it gets to the alphabetical order part, and just look for Idle Thumbs

That seriously wasn't there earlier:( The only ID i could see was one called IDC. oh me oh my.

You should ideally always have a slot open for a TP scroll, and always have one in there. It may seem like a lot of gold over the course of the game, but the towers it'll save you and the ganks you can turn around are always worth it. Even if you're swimming in gold, replace one of your early items with a better version, rather than going to 6 items. Unless all your towers are gone then go ahead. And always keep in mind money for buybacks.

This. Except I would say even if all your towers are gone you should still have one. When all your towers are gone and your team is pushing if the other team sends someone to split while they defend their base and all your towers are gone and none of you have TPs there's a good chance you could lose the game. Also late in the game getting caught can throw the game, so having a TP to get back to base can save your team the 70+ seconds of being a man down. Oh and for those that didn't know if you double tap the key that you have your TPs on it automatically sends you to your base which when you're trying to get out of a gank saves a lot of time. The same goes for things like a blink dagger which is helpful if your team was pushing the other teams base while they were down and now they're up and chasing you and you need to b, and it's also nice if your team is defending a rax or something and a Pudge hooks you.

That seriously wasn't there earlier:( The only ID i could see was one called IDC. oh me oh my.

It probably means no one was in it, a lot of the times when I'm on there's only 1-2 other people and there's also time when I'm the only person in it.

How do you guys keybind your items and minions? I overwrote the item slots to 1-3 like in LoL, but it means i can't micro my minions very easily if i need to.

I use Alt-Q,W,E,A,S,D for items! And then control groups are the numbers.

Enemy rubik better than our pudge with hook:(

Thanks for the idea Twig. i might put the control groups on the alt keys since i use them a lot more often. just learned that you can ctrl click to move only the currently selected subgroup! rather handy.

Had a couple fun games with rubick last night> Stealing bizarre spells like transformations or omnislash NEVER gets old

Best moment I've had with Rubick so far was having a Tidehunter ult on hand, ulting the enemy team and then stealing QoPs ult from her to finish them off. Pulling Juggernaut into the tower after he Omnislashes me and returning the favor was a close second.

As someone said though "I wish Rubick could steal their good players."

So I've been playing Smite? It strikes me as probably most similar to League of Legends hero/item/map design wise, but the biggest difference is that you're playing in a kind of over the shoulder third person shooter mode - more akin to Monday Night Combat.

I'm pretty sure it's not going to hold up with the same kind of depth that more established lords managers have but I'm enjoying it in the beta, at least.

I've had two games today. One was an incredible game on both sides where-in my burning lust for Clockwerk BIG PLAYS was rekindled. I caught a QoP on the other end of her blinking away from a gank and managed to stun and cog their entire team.

hg1Il.png

The other basically went like this. (Blanked out second to last panel because it's a bit eugh.)

zwDBg.png

I had yet another game where I carried as Tiny.

I love carrying as Tiny. He's the best!

I went Mjollnir, because I am the best of the best. Always go Mjollnir. Every hero.

That plus aghanim's was funny.

Playing Tiny always makes me happy. He's pretty much the only hero I can enjoy even when I'm losing.