Sean

The Idle Thumbs Lords Management Consortium - Dota 2, LoL, other Lords Managers unite

I like all the cosmetic items, Sven in particular has all awesome looking sets. The only thing I don't like is how there are only items for a few heroes, but of those heroes some have 4-5 bundles. Obviously they'll be adding more stuff for other heroes and it was probably they had people coming up with stuff for those particular heroes and they came up with a bunch of ideas that were all good so they ended up using all of them. I just hope it doesn't end up like League of legends where some heroes have 10+ skins and are constantly getting new skins and others like Soraka who is one of the original champs and one of the most popular/best champs in the game has just 2 skins that she's had the whole time and has never gotten anything new. Obviously they'll make more items for popular heroes in dota because that's what sells and this isn't TF2 with only 8 classes so it can't be as even with distribution of new items, but I hope there aren't any heros that end up getting basically forgotten.

Every single one of Sven's sets looks absolutely ridiculous, hah. I like pretty much everything except for the green-spike Faceless Void. That shit is ugly. And weird. Also cowboy Ursa is a little too cartoonish, but I guess so is pirate Tidehunter and that'll be one of the first things I buy.

I similarly worry that they'll focus too much on certain heroes, but I guess we'll just have to see what happens. None of my favorite heroes are thus far represented in the cosmetic item department. BUT. It's still really early.

Green Marine, a Valve guy that hangs around on SA, said that pretty much all of that stuff is placeholder and most of it won't make it to the final game. I'm sure a few of them well, like the chests and couriers, but a lot of the cosmetic items are probably getting changed up. I really hope they keep Melon Tidehunter though

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470036&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=318#post404140715

I could believe that, yeah.

Also that reminds me, a bunch of concept art was leaked. http://www.cyborgmat...heroes-preview/

There was a much better link (the original source!), but it appears to be down now, or I can't find it. It had stuff like old Queen of Pain concepts. Including a, shall we say, rotund version of the dominatrix.

EDIT: Oops I just realized this isn't even the "Dota 2" thread. U:

The imgur album with the concept art got nuked early yesterday afternoon.

Steam workshop integration is pretty cool. People can create their own hats and thingymajigs if they wish. Valve..!!

Keep in mind they are voted on by the community and Valve picks some to add to the game, you don't just make them and get to use them.

Keep in mind they are voted on by the community and Valve picks some to add to the game, you don't just make them and get to use them.

And thank god for that. Valve would never put in that female Invoker. Phew. (I hope.)

Also do people not understand the POINT of Steam Workshop? I see a bunch of concept art. What.

And thank god for that. Valve would never put in that female Invoker. Phew. (I hope.)

Also do people not understand the POINT of Steam Workshop? I see a bunch of concept art. What.

People are dumb, Valve is not.

Seemed like a vaguely appropriate place for this. It's somewhat funny if you play LoL, but the real joy is the Idle Thumbs Wizard song cameo near the beginning:

[media=]

[/media]

Build guide for LoL (wait for it ~0.18)

Seemed like a vaguely appropriate place for this. It's somewhat funny if you play LoL, but the real joy is the Idle Thumbs Wizard song cameo near the beginning:

[media=]

/Zap Brannigan/ I'm seeing double!

So my dad's company runs data-centers, like the biggest ones in the Us/world where all the big phone companies and other companies exchange data and their west coast data-center which is in like Mountain View is the biggest on the west coast. One of their direct customers is Riot Games, and my dad just went to a conference where they gave a presentation on how they manage their traffic for League of Legends. I asked him how it went and he said that for a company that basically revolves around internet traffic they have no clue what they're doing. He then said "For example, if you're in Brazil and you're trying to play this game..." and I started laughing. It turns out Riot routs all the traffic to Brazil through Spain, then they route it back to Brazil, so it crosses the Atlantic twice. It's over twice as bad as if you were trying to play on EU servers from California. They get 2-3 seconds of latency because it's cheaper for Riot. There is literally a reason why Brazilians are so bad at this game. BTW my dad had no idea about the Brazilian stereotype.

Actually (I am about to be super jingoist and I apologize), the reason that Brazilians are hated in the F2P/DotA-like realm of the internet (some of them are actually quite good), is that many of them cheat, hack, abandon games and curse in incredibly broken English at anyone who does anything they don't like. They're basically pariahs in the international DotA community, and while they definitely have a large contingent of jerks among them in DotA1/HoN/LoL, I'm not really sure how it ever reached the point it has. The internet, I guess.

I will point out that my earlier post about being jingoist in this thread was inspired by a game I had an almost duplicate of yesterday, where-in I solo queued DotA 2 (my first mistake), picked a support character with a stun (my second mistake) and took the lane with our teams hard carry. Who then turns out to be some manner of heavily accented South American fellow who calls me a "fuukein idiota" when I don't response to his pings in real time. The nice part is that the game yesterday ended up going really well and we were all laughing and cursing in voice chat and good friends by the end of it. So they're not all bad, but reputations are (usually) not idly deserved.

When do you guys usually get together for games? Solo-queueing is really taking a chunk out of my soul. It's like people go out of their way to shit on their team. I just finished back-to-back games where a hero with natural crits bought crystalis and then critiqued everyone's items.

I've been working a ton, but usually I get my games in early morning or late night.

Generally in the evenings, Pacific time.

Actually (I am about to be super jingoist and I apologize),

It sounds like you're not actually a jingoist in this case as much as you are just "anti-Brazilian Dota player."

I done joined me a group. 91 members is awesome! Hope to see some good gamin' in there.

One of their direct customers is Riot Games...

You know, I read through this and it just didn't sit right. I asked around and I'm sorry but you seem to be very mistaken in all the information you have. Riot's servers have not been hosted in Mountain View, and Brazilian players would not have to route through Spain's servers to play on the North American client. To our knowledge, we've never given a talk on the subject of traffic or servers either. Maybe something was misinterpreted here? Or the information is outdated by 2+ years, anyone's guess. The ping in Brazil could surely be better but that is actively being addressed.

It sounds like you're not actually a jingoist in this case as much as you are just "anti-Brazilian Dota player."

I suppose. If I could get two wishes, they'd be no-one goes hungry and everyone playing DotA is nice forever, so.

Minor hyperbole.

I done joined me a group. 91 members is awesome! Hope to see some good gamin' in there.

You know, I read through this and it just didn't sit right. I asked around and I'm sorry but you seem to be very mistaken in all the information you have. Riot's servers have not been hosted in Mountain View, and Brazilian players would not have to route through Spain's servers to play on the North American client. To our knowledge, we've never given a talk on the subject of traffic or servers either. Maybe something was misinterpreted here? Or the information is outdated by 2+ years, anyone's guess. The ping in Brazil could surely be better but that is actively being addressed.

I (obviously) don't know anything about this, but it looks like you're misinterpreting one part of his post. He didn't claim Riot's servers were hosted in Mountain View. He said the company operated a server center in Mountain View which is the largest on the West Coast. That doesn't imply that Riot uses that particular center.

I didn't say that their servers were in mountain view, I said the carrier neutral data centers they use were. I was mistaken though, the main silicon valley data center is in Sunnyvale, not Mountain View. They use Equinix data centers to exchange traffic. My dad who works for Equinix went to a conference last week in Chicago where Riot games gave some sort of a presentation on how they handle their traffic for League of Legends and it involved passing it out to a carrier and then the carrier routed the traffic to Spain before routing it to Brazil. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

EDIT: Alright I asked my dad to clarify and what it is is Riot uses Equinix's LA data center to exchange data with their two providers, some companies called Internap and NTT, who are the ones who route traffic from Brazil to Spain before sending it to LA. The carriers are the ones who are intentionally routing traffic in a retarded way to save money, though Riot uses them because it's cheaper. However he told me that Riot didn't even really know what the companies were doing, the same way that I don't really know how my internet provider is routing my traffic, just that it's getting from point A to point B. He said they have no clue what they were doing because they didn't pay any attention to what their carriers were doing and how it affected the performance of their game, which should be their main concern. I guess after this conference thing they now know so they could change carriers or something, though I'm not sure since he said the game was really optimized for North America so if that's working for them and that's where the majority of their non Europe/Asia customers are then it's probably better to not change even if it means Brazilians get 500-3000ms latency.

ANYWAYS...

I'm still not sure how much latency is the cause of the Brazilian stereotype, I've thought about whether it's from the language barrier, or if it's because most people there have worse computers than those in the United States, but the same stereotype exists for Europe for Russians so it's hard to tell. It certainly isn't just from any network setup that Riot has as the stereotype was around since DotA and still exists in HoN and DOTA2. I remember a thread a few years back on the HoN forums: http://forums.heroes...ad-at-this-game where someone asked the question in a genuine way (i.e. not being a racist but asking if it was a language barrier or latency or technology problem) but there wasn't a real answer, though the thread is a very funny read. The problem of language isn't an issue in Europe, though I guess since a larger amount of people are bilingual and know English could be why, but for some reason they hate the Russians just as much as people in NA hate Brazilians. Russia does however have competitive teams (Moscow 5 is a gaming group that has top teams in LoL and Dota2 as well as other games).