Sign in to follow this  
Kolzig

Doom The Roguelike

http://doom.chaosforge.org/

I was playing Legend of Grimrock and bunch of other games, but I had to just stop when a friend sent me a link to the website of Doom The Roguelike.

Doom played in the way of Nethack.

Oh hell yeah! :tup:

I haven't been able to play anything else today really, this is too addictive!

DoomRL (Doom, the Roguelike) is a fast and furious coffee-break Roguelike game, that is heavily inspired by the popular FPS game Doom by ID Software.

DoomRL is great, especially since the inclusion of tiles by Derek Yu (the Spelunky guy). I've been playing it off and on for years and finally won my first game the other day. Admittedly on the lowest difficulty setting, but still.

Play DoomRL, everyone. Just look how gorgeous this is!

doom613x395.png

You've reminded me that this has been sitting in my Downloads folder since Derek posted about the latest version some weeks back.

Wish me luck...

I've put some serious effort in to this game so far, but recently had to lower the difficulty to lowest just to see if I could actually beat it. Unfortunately I failed the other night, having made it to the last boss. I was doing the best I ever did, so I have no idea how I will ever manage to pull it off. That aside, it's an amazing game with tons of depth and surprises (there's non-canon Doom stuff contained within this game).

The best part about the game is the feeling of certain weapons, like the shotgun. The sound alone makes it feel so good to play, even with the low-fidelity graphics. BOOM!

Believe it or not, I got this game all mapped out to a gamepad using JoyToKey and it plays really great. Playing a roguelike with a gamepad? BLASPHEMY!

There is some graphical glitches here and there (wall tiling), but nothing too major.

My friend has been going at this at even crazier pace than me. I think he didn't sleep for four days or something because he keeps posting me updates on how the game is going.

He already killed John Carmack once so I guess he reached the ultimate ending

Next he will probably go with higher difficulty. ;)

I've had a couple of goes now, and I think it's very well done.

The way it's had fun with some of the themes and mechanics fit really well inside the Doom universe,

including the now-destructible scenery for clever shortcuts and quick exits

The mouse controls work well, too, once you get used to the contextual clicks:

• Left-click to move
  • Right-click to shoot
  • Left-click your character to open inventory
  • Left-click your character when standing on something to add it to your inventory

I like the different equipment mods that have been added to the game as well,

particularly when they do fun things like improve a chosen weapon. Enjoying the high-powered pistol best so far, and the new combat shotgun (looks like a SPAS-12) is great on its own

Wow, this has come a long way. The last time I played it it was all ascii art and keyboard controls, and it was already a hoot. I hope more progress is made on the Mac OS version, since my lappy is the perfect place for this style of game.