toblix

Fez

I'll have another go at it this bank holiday weekend. I think the last time I played, I had just finished a puzzle that required me ti make tetris shapes. Not particularly far in. 

Digging this thread up after what happened to Polytron.

I don't want to derail, but I've missed the past few days of the internet. So: What? Is this related to the Zoe bullshit, because Phil rightly defended her? A short answer will suffice, I'm not looking to dive into any sort of huge discussion!

Phil and Polytron twitter accounts hacked and deactivated, Polytron website hacked, plethora of fake Phil accounts trolling Phil haters to hate him even more.

I checked out a guide for one of the puzzles. Holy shit, I would NEVER have figured that out by myself. Honestly, the code stuff is way too hard for my feeble brain.

There is a really major clue when it comes to the code puzzles, but I missed it when I first passed it and didn't start cracking the symbols until later on in my playthrough:

A quick brown fox jumping over a lazy dog

There's only one puzzle that requires deciphering the language right? And it's not even a mandatory one for completing the game.

There's a butt load of the language and code based puzzles, I think a lot of them are about the Anti Cubes, to be fair.

But they still threw me off in my pre-guide state because I thought I should be able to solve them without needing any more abilities. And the way I played the game, I essentially lacked the 'translation ability' because I just expected Fez to be a simple puzzle game, not the levels of complexity that really went into it. And the actual ending to Fez, I could take it or leave it. I liked the experience, and the sudden brick wall of being unable to comprehend the language/codes made me unable to continue the experience I had been enjoying.

I think that might depend on whether you do a cubes or cubes and anticubes playthrough, but my memory is fuzzy. Pretty sure there's far more than one though. And

numbers to decipher too!

No I meant anticubes too...

I'm not talking about the numbers or the tetris piece code. Specifically I meant the actual language, which I think is only required for the monolith puzzle, and that only nets you one of those red heart cube things.

There is a really major clue when it comes to the code puzzles, but I missed it when I first passed it and didn't start cracking the symbols until later on in my playthrough:

A quick brown fox jumping over a lazy dog

I was looking for the key to the language, saw that, went "haha, it's a reference to that saying", and then wandered off to look elsewhere. I was very disappointed in myself when I looked up the spoiler a couple hours later :(

I looked up the "language" when I saw the tetriminos. I just assumed that was the language, rather than the fox thing. That's what I was referring to when I said I had to look it up, I would never have understood the button inputs, or that you need to tilt your head to read them!

I did discover the fox thing last night. Although in my head it was "Quick fox jumps over the lazy, brown dog." There are no brown foxes. That saying makes no sense! So I had to look that up too -_-

Yeah, I forget exactly what all the different codes are because it's been a long time since I played but I do remember that they all seemed like they were more complicated than I expected. Not impossible to crack but I was thinking that the symbols signified some idea I had yet to come across that'd be far more blunt so I started to mostly ignore them.

Polytron and Fez IP for sale I guess. brb buying it

Not to get into the discussion as to why, because it's absolutely maddening. But do you know if his reactionary tweet is serious?

Because, seriously, I love, love, love FEZ. I don't have a million dollars or whatever it would take to do this. Is there a way we could set up a crowdfunding thing to to purchase any of this to curate it. I worry who would actually end up owning it.

But it's not okay that the shitty-ass fucking internet angry shit mob drove Phil Fish into a spiraling pit of despair so that he gave up on Fez when he obviously wanted to make a Fez 2.

I want him to make it and to continue to be himself if only because he makes the trolls so angry, but I don't want him to suffer attacks and mental anguish just for that.  Most people don't have whatever kind of sick personal psychology it takes to be a professional lightning rod for hate. 

I don't really follow twitter or personal stuff about developers; but what exactly makes people upset at him? I saw him on a GB thing and he seemed like a fine, quirky guy and his game speaks enough to me that maybe I'm giving him a pass for stuff I don't notice, I dunno.

Super opinionated and willing to personally engage with pretty much anyone about anything he has an opinion on.  Bunch of people decided he was an ass after how he was shown in Indie Game: The Movie.  Bunch of internet drama.

Super opinionated and willing to personally engage with pretty much anyone about anything he has an opinion on.  Bunch of people decided he was an ass after how he was shown in Indie Game: The Movie.  Bunch of internet drama.

Also prone to overstating his point with abrasive speech. But yeah, that wouldn't be a problem if he was more able to just walk away from things.

Ah, I never did watch that movie. Maybe I should... or shouldn't from the sounds of it.

It's a good movie.

Phil Fish is, as said, super opinionated and super abrasive.

...Which is why I defend him so much. I can identify with that very, very much. I don't always think about what I'm saying in the heat of the moment. I think I'm better about it than him. But then I know for a fact I would not be able to handle the internet at large basically enacting a campaign against everything that I am

Also just to clarify, I don't think it was the movie specifically that triggered the hate mongering. It was a specific instance at GDC (at which I was present) after a showing of the documentary when all the people in the documentary participated in a Q&A panel afterward. I think it was literally that moment that flipped the switch on the hate brigade. A Japanese man walked up and asked in that oh so humble, oh so polite endearing Japanese manner what the panel thought about Japanese games.

It fucking pisses me off every time I think about what people have done to that guy just because he once said "Japanese games suck". AND THEN IMMEDIATELY APOLOGIZED FOR BEING FLIPPANT AND WENT ON TO EXPLAIN HIS POSITION. That's the part no one ever mentions, of course.

He's never been perfect - he'll respond to trolls in extremely flamebaity manners at times - but he's always been honest, and it's brutal honesty that enrages the masses when the masses disagree with said honesty. the latest fiasco was, of course, Phil speaking out against what the internet was doing to Zoe Quinn and what they always do to women who speak out against sexism.

I'm fairly certain he has legitimate anger management issues, as well. People have said bipolar, but I hesitate to throw any labels around like that because, to be honest, I don't really know what they mean. But the point is I hate the internet what am I doing writing this post, no matter whether or not he has some sort of mental issue, even if he's just a straight up asshole, that doesn't excuse anything that's happened to him.

Fuck.