Jon Shafer

Unity of Command

After three hours of playing, I noticed that different supply-sources have different ranges. I could not understand why my troops were losing supply-lines just because a railroad was blocked on the other side of the map when there was a railroad track within a few hexes. This game just got way better. Man alive, the first mission was so hard until I figured that out. 

I like it.

----- 

Now at 5 hours in and I finally beat the first scenario is a satisfactory way. This is a puzzle-game. 

Haha Unity of Command walks the finest line between "is this a puzzle or strategy game"? Probabilistic outcome of battles puts it in the strategy camp, but the one wrong move and you fail the mission makes it more like a puzzle. Basically you have a strategy game here with missions that are so narrowly and tightly designed combined with an AI that understands the rules of the game so well that they become puzzles essentially.

I'm making interesting decisions in this game that I've never made before. I've always felt compelled to put holes in enemy-fronts, but I've never had a satisfying mechanical motive to do so. Unity of Command gives me a reason that is much more satisfying to me than flanking bonuses.

Clicking on potential units that will recieve the entirety of my military might, I sometimes have to decide between securing a railroad section that will break their supply; or spearheading through a weak unit.

The fact that the AI is good enough that you can get it to reinforce an area that you intend to later starve, allows for so much fun. This is what good AI is for, to have an opponent with enough empathy to fall for subtle fake-outs.

Who would have thought that the Angry Bird's three-star system would be good in a war-game? I play these scenarios over and over just because I know that the higher prestige award is possible. That's why I think of it as a puzzle game; the tiered rewards state that expertise is possible if I play my cards right.