OzymandiasAV

The Julian Murdoch **HONORARY** iOS Board Game/Strategy Thread

I didn't realize this until now, but the iOS implementation of Ticket to Ride: Europe is actually a new standalone application, rather than IAP for the existing Ticket to Ride iOS app. It's currently priced at $1.99 at the App Store.

Also, as reported by Pocket Tactics, there were weekend price reductions for Caylus ($2.99, Universal) and Civilization Revolution ($0.99).

The iPhone application is separate. TTR: Europe has been available on the iPad TTR as an in app purchase since it released

Ah, thanks for the correction. It still seems strange that they would segment the application in that way, though, especially if they're only doing it for one "half" of the platform, so to speak.

Ah, thanks for the correction. It still seems strange that they would segment the application in that way, though, especially if they're only doing it for one "half" of the platform, so to speak.

Yes, it's a very odd approach, they could easily have made the ipad app universal and shared it across the whole platform, and I certainly don't understand why they need two apps for TTR: Pocket, but hey ho.

San Juan, the Puerto Rico card game offshoot from Rio Grande Games, is live on the App Store for $7.99:

http://itunes.apple....=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

I would caution a buyer beware on this one. If you want to play San Juan against the AI, this is a very good port, nice clean graphics, nice interface, the only weirdness is they hide your hand away and you have to tap to bring it to the fore which is an odd UI choice but whatever.

If you want to play multiplayer, don't bother. Pass and play is okay but suffers from the inherent issue that the game is hidden information, so works better on iphone pass and play than ipad where you want the view shared. Online multiplayer is realtime ONLY and requires gamecentre. If you lose connection mid game, tough, you will get dropped and replaced with an AI. I have yet to complete a game of this multiplayer, very disappointed :(

As reported by BoardGameGeek, Playdek's iOS products are currently on sale for the prices below until August 23rd (Thursday):

Ascension - $0.99, all expansions $0.99

Summoner Wars - Buy Everything Bundle $4.99

Nightfall - $0.99

Food Fight iOS - $0.99

Lost Cities is live on the app store for $3.99.

However, there's a catch - the application is iPhone-only. Pocket Tactics, as always, brings the details:

My effusive blubbering aside, there’s a caveat: Lost Cities is iPhone-only. If you do most of your gaming on an iPhone or an iPad 3, then don’t hesitate to pick it up. The iPad 3 upscales the retina assets for the iPhone 4 and the result is an experience that might as well be a Universal app.

If you have an OG iPad or an iPad 2, you might want to consider waiting. Coding Monkeys have made some noises that would indicate their intent to redesign the UI and release a separate iPad app instead of a Universal update. Lost Cities has a carefully laid-out Swiss clock of an interface – I can see why Coding Monkeys might be precious about just blowing it up 2X and slapping a Universal symbol on it.

I picked up Puerto Rico. I'm enjoying it so much more than LeHavre, but i think it might also ease me into LeHavre.

Levee En Masse is a worthy boardgame translation of a States if Siege solo game for the iOS and Android. Simple, quick to play, but with event cards and historic or random timeline its interesting enough in and playable in short bursts. Personally I'm wishing they would make a conversion of the Zulus on the Ramparts States if Siege game also.

http://victorypointgames.com/details.php?prodId=209

I picked up Puerto Rico. I'm enjoying it so much more than LeHavre, but i think it might also ease me into LeHavre.

Puerto Rico is a great game in person. I think it's one of those really finely designed games: low on random (only the tile selection,) with a great balance of player interaction, decision consequence, and you never feel out of the game even if you're losing badly. I just wish the iOS port had much much better interface design.

Really digging Le Havre. Also, against my better judgment I picked up the iOS version of CivRev. It's not terrible for what it is, but the UI still feels annoying on a phone. Would be improved on an iPad I guess, but probably not too much.

I can't wait for the iOS release of Eclipse!

Now that I have a shiny new iPhone 5 I've been diving into the world if iOS strategy games after years of Android. I'm really, really liking Neuroshima Hex, which was mentioned earlier in the thread. The tactical play is surprisingly deep - I've been playing for about two weeks and still learn new things every round. I haven't picked up any expansions yet, but probably will soon. I'm also eyeballing the board game version as an impending purchase.

Neuroshima Hex is great. Probably the best iOS implementation I am aware of, although they really need to fix the bug where sometimes the game freezes up if you try to get info about what a particular unit does...

I'm glad so many people enjoy Puerto Rico. It's a really fine game until you learn about its dirty little secret.

Just tried to grab Sid Meier's Ace Patrol on iOS and was told its incompatible with phones without a front facing camera :( 

Seems a damn strange requirement for a strategy game.

That is a weird requirement, and unfortunate, it's a really lovely game and anyone that appreciates the bright graphics of a classic Sid Meier/Firaxis title should definitely check it out. The free-to-play model for this game doesn't bother me either, I feel like I got an excellent game for $4.