Scrobbs

Legend of Grimrock - Tile based Dungeon Crawler!

Been playing this for like 5 straight hours, there are some usability things I would appreciate, in particular a diablo like alt weapon set with a hotkey toggle would be a godsend, trying to switch weapons in battle is a nightmare... but in a way that's kinda cool.

I just cleared out level 4 but I'm trying to figure my way to a secret I can see before moving on.

also the spell casting seems a little cumbersome to me, but im getting better at it, the ability to assign a particular spell to one of your mages hands would be welcome.

those are my first impressions at least, time to get back to it. :tup:

Ah, i was going to recomend the spears for the back row untill you find (hopefully) something better.

I put my first level points into ice, but wasn't able to find an ice spell scroll untill i had figured out and skilled my fire spell at level 2:(

Does anyone else notice that they seem to encourage

abusing doorways a bit. the mushroom creatures on the 1st level can only be faught one by one with a rest in between them, at least by my party, but shutting the door on their room lets you rest with no fear of reprisals.

I noticed this mentioned in one of the reviews too.

Does anyone else notice that they seem to encourage

abusing doorways a bit. the mushroom creatures on the 1st level can only be faught one by one with a rest in between them, at least by my party, but shutting the door on their room lets you rest with no fear of reprisals.

I noticed this mentioned in one of the reviews too.

Oh god yes, this has saved my ass more times in level 4 than I care to admit, especially when the enemies are doing status effects.

Another tip, always try out your spells in an open space, if you are up against a wall or grate/gate it will hit your party, also I didn't realize for like the entirety of level 3 that the ice spike from the floor spell I found actually traveled along the floor and could hit multiple enemies.

Oh, so the party is randomly generated? I got a mage that could cast a sweet fire spell right away.

By the way, does anyone know why, sometimes, the previous spell is sometimes shown, but usually cleared, when I click on the mage hand?

My main complain is the spell casting, if the game is real time it's kinda essential that I don't take too much casting spells. I don't even want to know about the ones that use two runes!

Something funny happened to me when I met FOUR skeletons coming at me in formation, I fled, hid, healed and tried to get them when

I saw them walking constantly into a portal towards me that teleported them right to the tile behind the portal and were stuck in a loop! I couldn't reach them, so I took a gamble and walked into the portal.... I crushed my enemies by teleporting into the same place they were and got an achievement for that!

One big hint,

always jump into hole, but save before doing that, I've found great treasure in most of them!

This game is brutal, but still so very fun!

My main complain is the spell casting, if the game is real time it's kinda essential that I don't take too much casting spells. I don't even want to know about the ones that use two runes!

Something funny happened to me when I met FOUR skeletons coming at me in formation, I fled, hid, healed and tried to get them when

I saw them walking constantly into a portal towards me that teleported them right to the tile behind the portal and were stuck in a loop! I couldn't reach them, so I took a gamble and walked into the portal.... I crushed my enemies by teleporting into the same place they were and got an achievement for that!

Telefragging confirmed! :grin: You know, before I knew there were the 4 skeletons in formation, I was checking my map. Then I heard them stomping around somewhere and I absolutely spazzed out, closing the book, opening the book, closing it, turning around in circles and running into walls before "phew", must be behind a closed door somewhere... That sound was absolutely terrifying.

One big hint,

always jump into hole, but save before doing that, I've found great treasure in most of them!

Definitely, I got a lot of good stuff doing that.

Oh, so the party is randomly generated? I got a mage that could cast a sweet fire spell right away.

You have the choice of using the default team or making your own, I think my mage had a fire spell too, it seems that if your magic stat is high enough you can discover a spell by experimenting (the default mage can cast fireburst but you dont start with the scroll, at least I didn't.), but you will find the scrolls lying around.

By the way, does anyone know why, sometimes, the previous spell is sometimes shown, but usually cleared, when I click on the mage hand?

I think it happens if you failed your last cast because you were out of energy, or if you input the runes but close the "rune window" without casting, it could be kinda handy for storing a spell for fast use.

OMG guys, if you didn't roll your own characters make sure to check your characters traits on their stats page, turns out the Minotaur has a trait that gives him a boost to attack for every skull he's carrying, I had found a few skull but my fighter was carrying them, i just got an extra 9 base attack power!:tup::tup::tup::grin::clap:

I'm playing with the default character layout. It's not as awesome as Stonekeep was. But still I'm loving it so far.

Did anybody reach the forth level yet? The first room nearly killed me and I was playing on EASY! You have to be pretty tactical and lucky!:eek:

PS: The crystals that heals you, also resurrect, I wouldn't have survived this room without knowing this.

I reached the 4th level through a hole in the ground. does that count?:)

I'm playing on normal, currenly at level 7. There have been a few close calls, but generally I've been nowhere near wiping. I started with my own cast of enigmatic characters composed of a minotaur warrior; a human, and lizard rogue (one melee, one ranged) and an insectoid mage. :tup:

Once I got used to the QWEASD it made fighting pretty easy, generally speaking.

I guess the 4th floor challenge is harder for people who didn't get used to fighting by sidestepping or walking around enemies, I usually just walk back to a corridor or a door I can close so I can fight them one at a time.

Man. this is the best $13 I've spent in a while. Totally rad. It's funny how they'll probably make more money by selling it at an impulse price than if it was $30 or so, which they could have easily charged.

Man. this is the best $13 I've spent in a while. Totally rad. It's funny how they'll probably make more money by selling it at an impulse price than if it was $30 or so, which they could have easily charged.

Being totally unfamiliar with this sort of game, it's unlikely I would have picked it up for $30, but for $13 all it took was some positive mentions on Twitter.

Being totally unfamiliar with this sort of game, it's unlikely I would have picked it up for $30, but for $13 all it took was some positive mentions on Twitter.

That really surprises me Chris, actually. You really go for RPGs like Torchlight and Diablo (and while not the same), there's a bit of heritage there. I guess I just assumed that you would have cut your teeth on Dungeon Master.

I don't really see how this game relates to Diablo/Torchlight in a big way; what would you say constitutes the heritage? I should mention I haven't played Diablo or Torchlight much, but they strike me as totally different games.

Maybe I got over-excited. Beyond the basics, there is none. Nothing that can't be attributed to Bard's Tale, D&D and indeed any other form of RPG. I'm stupid, sorry.

Exactly, I was already going to buy it "sometime" but Steve's tweets about the game pushed me into buying it sooner. The price point and word of mouth have sold a lot of people that I know that might otherwise not ever paid it any mind.

In case anybody has some trouble with timed puzzles I have some tips:

-The obvious one: don't be overencumbered.

-Turn down the graphic details.

-There is a certain cheat program which would ruin this game, but.... it also has a speed hack that can speed up or slow down games. :deranged:

Man, it's tough playing as the warrior, you get a great weapon and you can use it until you have enough points for it, but you might find a better weapon in a different category.

Also, :cens0r: ogres! :frusty:

EDIT: Forget about ogres... you don't even want to know you encounter in level 10! Just how deep does this go? And the puzzles are getting ridiculous too! In a good way?:erm:

Edited by Tanukitsune