Scrobbs

Legend of Grimrock - Tile based Dungeon Crawler!

I loved these type of games. While I never played the seminal Dungeon Master, I played EoB1, 2 and 3 to death.

This harks back to it, and the review have been very positive across the board!

www.grimrock.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=259

Supposed to be released 11/04/12 - so I waited up until midnight to start the download. Yes, not been this excited about a game for a loooong time. Anyway, turns out it's a worldwide release, so we have to wait for steam. 17.00 GMT, I think.

:woohoo:

I was super excited about this until I learned it was real-time. I still sort of want to try it. Anyone know if it's save-anywhere?

Yes, it will be. Although there's no quicksave according to RPS.

In the pre-order pack, you get special graph paper. For mapping. (There is automap should you wish.)

/geeks out

I'm downloading it currently offa GOG!

I was super excited about this until I learned it was real-time.

But it's not?

It's pretty much Dungeon Master isn't it?

Installing now!

I know I've played games like this before, but I have no idea which?:erm:

For the first time ever, I decided to actually roleplay in a roleplaying game, but nothing too serious... The thief keeps making meat puns towards the minotaur and gave her the leather armor on purpose... Also everybody hates the bug, because they are racist jerks? (It's very puerile, you don't even want to know their names!) :erm:

How do you cast spells in the games? Do I need to learn a spell first? I have only one fire scroll, but the game says I don't have enough magic skill.

It's combinations of runes, that you can try. However, it seems some just won't work until you have the right number of points in the element. The manual says some scrolls will give you rune combos, others can be found via experimentation.

But I'm liking your commentary on the party bickering. Not something I've thought about before. :tup:

Also, my party just got wiped. I backed into a dead end. The monsters are going to be tough. I'm on the 2nd level of the dungeon. :)

I'm totally baffled by the second level.

There's a gate with 'no weapons allowed inside' written next to it. Tried everything on that, including dropping all my weapons on the floor.

Then there's the weird holding cells room with buttons that just make portals inside the cells for a split second or something...

I've beaten the room which locks you in with some enemies.

I'm totally baffled by the second level.

There's a gate with 'no weapons allowed inside' written next to it. Tried everything on that, including dropping all my weapons on the floor.

Then there's the weird holding cells room with buttons that just make portals inside the cells for a split second or something...

Try dropping a single weapon in the little alcove.

Pro-tip: I have learned that it really pays to fall down a hole sometimes.

Stonekeep was semi-realtime.

I preordered this game because of stonekeep. I'm not ancient enough for Dungeon Master

That shit me up totally. Really liking the atmosphere. Making me jump.

On the 2nd level there was that earthquake. Was pretty awesome, I ran around trying to find the source and/or solace. Proper made me panic.

I've completed 2 levels, and I'm already pretty sure I'm not going to complete it (hearing it has quite a number of levels). It's been fun so far, and really well done; I especially like the use of real-time graphics in a pre-rendered sort of way. However, I don't see me spending hours and hours moving around a grid, fighting awkward groups of men. I never played any of the classic RPGs Grimrock is referencing, so there's no nostalgia, and I guess that makes me less forgiving and more critical of a lot of gameplay aspects, which is fine.

That shit me up totally.

There's a trick to it that can make it a lot easier:

I've noticed that if your attack hits, it interrupts the enemies attack, especially the skeletons. So if you time your attacks, the enemy will hardly get any hits in.

Really entertaining game so far. :tup: You don't really get good loot often, and usually you get good stuff by finding secret areas, which makes it really rather rewarding when you do find it.

Bedtime already ruined by one more level syndrome. I'm around halfway through level 2 (estimate by finding a crystal) and loving it. The mouselook is a bit jankey and i wish there was more explanation of how to use some systems but i'm happy to overlook that stuff:)

I was ready to post on the other very recent thread, but I see we have this one now.

Downloaded Grimrock yesterday and started playing immediately. Feels like a very solid game. i only played around 30 minutes as I couldn't stay up the whole night due to starting really, really late...

I don't have past experiences with Dungeon Master or Eye of the Beholder so this feels totally new to me.

Stonekeep was semi-realtime.

I preordered this game because of stonekeep. I'm not ancient enough for Dungeon Master

Stonekeep! That's the one I played!

Has anyone rolled a mage in their party? It bugged me a bit that he was so useless until he got his first level. Couldn't do anything.

Really entertaining game so far. :tup: You don't really get good loot often, and usually you get good stuff by finding secret areas, which makes it really rather rewarding when you do find it.

But this is very true. I think on L2, I have a rusty machete and crap one-handed maul. (Perhaps that's too kind. It's more of a stone tied to a stick). I felt grateful for finding the machete, disgarding the blunt knife I had been forced to use until then (which in turn, I had been excited about finding!). Before that I was using the torches.

Has anyone rolled a mage in their party? It bugged me a bit that he was so useless until he got his first level. Couldn't do anything.

I have TWO mages in mine, I've been told to give them spears until they can cast magic, luckily I got one from my first (and almost last) skeleton encounter.