Sign in to follow this  
twmac

Diabolical Pitch - the Suda51 game that no one is talking about

The only reason I even heard about this game is because of some tie-in to the SNK sale (I am not entirely sure what that was), the game was mentioned ages ago and then vanished:

http://www.edge-online.com/news/diabolical-pitch-trailer

It seems like Grasshopper haven't really pushed this game which suggests that even they don't think it is very good. Regardless, I am sold on the game and have already downloaded it for a drunken evening of baseball-themed demon fighting.

The review from Eurogamer is mainly positive:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-04-diabolical-pitch-review

I smell a delightfully stupid Friday evening coming up.

I don't have high hopes for this one, every piece of footage i've seen has looked kind of terrible, and not the right kind of terrible.

Critical response is kind of all over the place too.

I'll be curious to hear more about this one.

I don't have high hopes for this one, every piece of footage i've seen has looked kind of terrible, and not the right kind of terrible.

Critical response is kind of all over the place too.

That seems the same for all Suda 51 joints though, and I've enjoyed most of them.

I just got a kinect yesterday for the shit of it so will give the demo a try.

This looks like the sort of thing I'd find in an arcade and flip out over. With the right company (the friends of mine who would willingly go with me to an arcade) I imagine it would be an absolute blast.

But that actually doesn't depend much on the quality of the game.

I like the trailer.

It's weird that there have been so few XBLA Kinect games. It seems like the right venue for experimenting with it and doing dumb stuff.

I didn't even know this was by Suda 51. I guess I should check it out. Even though some of his games are flawed, at least they're memorable and unique to me so I always enjoy playing them when they come out.

..But that actually doesn't depend much on the quality of the game.

Funny how good company can make ANYTHING work, huh?

"Welcome to hell, you shall burn for eternity in a room... here, meet your fellow doomed inmates; Tim Schafer, Ken Levine, and Will Wright."

I like everything about it except the actual gameplay.

zIqxtr_Njpg

Edited by Thompson

I didn't even know this was by Suda 51. I guess I should check it out. Even though some of his games are flawed, at least they're memorable and unique to me so I always enjoy playing them when they come out.

To my knowledge, it hasn't actually been made clear what involvement Suda had with this game, if any at all.

I like everything about it except the actual gameplay.

zIqxtr_Njpg

I've noticed it before, but the multiplayer portion of this QL highlighted it - Brad has problems when he's demoing Kinect titles. He cannot make his moves "big" enough; he's awkward and self-consciously ashamed of himself. It's a shame because he's obviously very charismatic - but not with Kinect.

IT'S OKAY TO HAM IT UP, BRAD. STOP BEING A JAKE.

Edited by subbes
i was probably being a bit of a bitch about someone who is no doubt lovely

Oh man, we never finished that Killer 7 game club.

That makes me sad.

So I have now played it for a couple of hours and it was all shallow, harmless fun. Unfortunately I have ground to a halt on the third world while fighting a UFO-flying Elephant. At this point I am not really sure what to do. I have played through the first couple of worlds in the hope of unlocking something else that will aid me and it has exposed the excruciating grind for coins. Everything costs between 100 and 600 coins so far and to be able to buy the 600 coin abilities I would have to play through World 2 about 4 times. The game just isn't fun enough for me to want to do that. The multiplayer is actually pretty fun and the problem I was finding is that my friend is too used to Wii remote gestures (ie: not really putting effort into it). The Kinect has only misinterpreted my throws a couple of time. The thing is the whole game has a heavy amount of assisted game play and it can often feel like you are just a puppet to its whims.

Not sure I am going to be able to finish unless I can figure out a trick with that UFO boss.

EDIT: Argh! There is nothing on youtube, gamefaqs nor on IGN. I have no idea how to beat that UFO boss. I feel like a proper n00b on this one.

I've noticed it before, but the multiplayer portion of this QL highlighted it - Brad has problems when he's demoing Kinect titles. He cannot make his moves "big" enough; he's awkward and self-consciously ashamed of himself. It's a shame because he's obviously very charismatic - but not with Kinect.

IT'S OKAY TO HAM IT UP, BRAD. STOP BEING A JAKE.

Probably true, but I think the larger problem in this case was that the game was constantly telling him to move forwards and left and he totally ignored it almost all of the time. He was clearly having issues with it picking up his right arm, which if he was too far to his right for the camera would obviously have been the least clear to the game.

Maybe it's their current setup that made him feel like he couldn't move, or something, but I feel like if both of them had taken another step to their left that whole thing would have worked better. Easy to notice when watching a video, though, I guess.

Well Eurogamer reviewer Christian Donlan was nice to reply to a tweet and give me the answer - Graft basically is the only way. I wasn't doing anything wrong just not doing it well enough.

Oh man, we never finished that Killer 7 game club.

That makes me sad.

Oo ooo, I finally finished the game two weeks ago, even though everyone else kind of stopped! I meant to post something! I don't... know what to say... :erm:

:blink:

I stopped playing when it looked like everybody else had given up, i wasn't sure if it would start back up and i didn't want to skip ahead.

I stopped playing when school started and took over my life. I don't think I played much of ANYTHING from September through November. I do still intend to go back to my save one day...