elmuerte

Shadowrun Kickstarter

It becomes a common map feature in the second half of the game, you're probably still pretty early in the game.

When I first saw them, I thought they were just for dwarves. Come to think of it, I'm kind of sad they aren't.

*SIGH* Ok, so this is not specifically related to Shadowrun, but this is yet another recent video game that has this problem. Can developers PLEASE make it so that I can play their video games without having to disconnect my entire HOTAS flight setup because the game registers input from my joystick/thruster? I can't play the game with them connected, because it will always be scrolling to the top left corner. It's so annoying.

I'm enjoying the game, but it still needs a lot of work. The riggers seem very buggy in particular, i've consistently found myself retaining control of drones after spending all of their AP or shutting them down, making me able to move and act infinitely with them. That shit seems straight up broken. Also, with my shaman main character, as far as i can tell, one of my skill tree perks just flat out doesn't work. The thing about being able to summon multiple spirits from a summoning point, the game is either really obtuse about that in gameplay, or it's not working.

No, that perk works (well, it's bugged in a different way). A shaman can never have more than a single spirit summoned at a time, but before you get that perk, an environmental summon point will disappear after you use it to summon one spirit. With it, you can use that point a second time once the first spirit is banished or breaks your control. ...then apparently the game bugs and the second spirit will stop getting turns and you won't be able to use it at all or banish it but you're still down an AP from having it out and it still occupies space on the battlefield. As you can tell, this is super useful.

See... No, I sort of figured that would be how it's supposed to "work", but the summon point still disappears for me after the first summon and never reappears, so it's broken in a totally different way than what you describe.

Also, i finished the game. It was about 20 hours long for me, playing on hard.

And... done!

I enjoyed myself immensely. I only had a couple of glitches, mostly in the final couple of areas, and nothing that I couldn't work around by reading the steam forums a bit. I'm already looking forward to the Berlin campaign, and I just preordered the Shadowrun 5th edition PDF.

Just finished it.

I liked some of it. The tactical combat was solid enough, and being able to take people by surprise if done right is a really nice change from X-com. Of course the downsides of tactical turn based combat are still there *Shoots at a guy a foot away, misses. But... it was too linear, all of it. Always ramrodding you into the same dialogue, the same path, the same "go here, now here, no do this!" There's basically zero opportunity to explore, and I even missed a payday because I didn't drop some quest loot off to the right NPC at the right time, and the next time I saw him it was somehow "too late" to turn in the quest even though it was just getting jewels fenced.

I liked some of the characters, and it was sort of interesting to see the hired mercs mechanic at work. But splitting the difference didn't feel really great, the characters that might have been your "companions" weren't there often enough; and the mercs hiring wasn't interesting enough. I also sort of lost the story towards the end. The motivation for you character kind of felt like it dropped off, and the story ends in a sort of "go here because we tell you to, this thing happened because we need a way to continue the story". It's still a promising start, the setting was nailed, the RPG mechanics feel solid, the combat is good. But the writing and design need work if they continue on with the series.

This game was 100% what I wanted/expected. Plenty of quibbles, none of which actually negatively impacted my overall enjoyment.

All the kickstarter stuff I backed has been great fun so far!

I enjoyed the game quite a bit. A few minor issues (most of which I imagine is due to playing on launch day and not waiting for the inevitable first patch), and the story was a bit linear, but with so much room for new content from users (and the creators), I'm happy to have played it, and can't wait for more.

This game was 100% what I wanted/expected. Plenty of quibbles, none of which actually negatively impacted my overall enjoyment.

This is basically my feeling.

Things other people have complained about that didn't bother me: linearity, shortness, save system

The one thing I would have preferred: fewer mercenaries to choose from (seriously who is ever going to want to load up their crew with all deckers), and some dialogue for each one. It needn't be a lot/full fledged companions, but just something to give 'em the illusion of being characters rather than just a collection of stats. As it is, they're totally mute. Not even "I could use a heal over here" floaty text barks. Nothing.

I still haven't had a chance to play the game much outside of making a character, and I'll be leaving for Europe in a few days so I don't anticipate that changing any time soon. However I was wondering if anyone would be interested in trying to get a game of the tabletop game going via something like Roll20 or D20Pro.

This is basically my feeling.

Things other people have complained about that didn't bother me: linearity, shortness, save system

The one thing I would have preferred: fewer mercenaries to choose from (seriously who is ever going to want to load up their crew with all deckers), and some dialogue for each one. It needn't be a lot/full fledged companions, but just something to give 'em the illusion of being characters rather than just a collection of stats. As it is, they're totally mute. Not even "I could use a heal over here" floaty text barks. Nothing.

I agree, the hiring mechanic for the other mercs in your team was the lamest part of the game. Unfortunately, it seems like it's pretty baked into the game and probably isn't going to change for the expansion.

Frenetic Pony: I don't know about you, but I royally screwed up on my second visit to Pike Place Market (trying to be somewhat oblique as to not spoil anything) and ended up missing a whole section of that building. It seems to me that the parts when you're alone have some varience to them at least, while the times you're with your team are basically linear shoot-em-ups.

The thing about the mercs is that if they die they're dead. You can't hire them again. So if you have a high enough casualty rate and skimp on the Docwagon kits or just can't arrange them in time, you're going to want more than one of that type of merc. Also, they have different builds and equipment. My problem with the system is that they all have -bad- builds and lag behind on points, thus are underpowered in the late game, even though they do get upgraded a few times during the campaign.

I do agree that some hints of personality for the ones that aren't plot characters would have been nice, though.

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I just finished this game a few days ago and i thought it was a totally solid experience. Lacking a little polish, but it totally made up for it in setting and dialogue. My character Samurai X was a cool, bad ass lady. I dug the open skill system as well. The lack of a save button was a huge bummer though, some of those missions were a bit lengthy (especially towards the end). One of the better games I have played recently. 

I'm stuck on a mission because I made the mistake of assuming that because I easily handled every prior mission, this current mission wouldn't be too difficult. Except that it involves heavy decker action and it auto-saved mid mission (between maps) and as far as I know I can't bail out and retry with a more carefully constructed team? It feels like it's near the end of the game, too, so there's no restarting.

Was really enjoying the game up until now. Mostly BECAUSE I wasn't having much trouble. I suck at these kinds of games. ):

I'm stuck on a mission because I made the mistake of assuming that because I easily handled every prior mission, this current mission wouldn't be too difficult. Except that it involves heavy decker action and it auto-saved mid mission (between maps) and as far as I know I can't bail out and retry with a more carefully constructed team? It feels like it's near the end of the game, too, so there's no restarting.

Was really enjoying the game up until now. Mostly BECAUSE I wasn't having much trouble. I suck at these kinds of games. ):

You can "rewind" the saves (each save contains every previous checkpoint, I think). When you're loading a save, "rewind" should be next to "delete" and "copy".

So I tried that. And ended up doing pretty well. UNTIL

(i mean spoilers i guess)

So this is the mission where you're invading the corp that made Aegis, the thing to kill the bugs (or so Baron claims). I need a good decker to hack the elevators, right? So I myself am a decent decker, and then I hire the one recommended by the janitor guy (Johnny Clean? sick name): Dodger, the elf. And this time I brought along sufficient beefy dudes to handle the real world stuff for even longer. Long enough for Dodger to die...

I make it past the first floor fine, everyone in decent health, enough medkits to last a while. That's decker section one. NO PROBLEM. I have two deckers, so I don't have to worry about running out of ESPs. But then I DIE every time in the second Matrix section. I don't know what to do other than turn the difficulty down (I'm playing on Normal). I take each Matrix room slowly and kill the ICs and whatnot as quickly and safely as possible. I get to the second-to-last room, just before the elevator controls. I kill the first wave. Then enemy deckers come out of nowhere and I'm fucked. I have no chance, because by that time, my ESPs have been whittled down to almost nothing (or just dead!), and my persona is in a similar state.

Really frustrating. It's like the difficulty curve for me did one of these: _______|

I know I suck at these kinds of games. Always been much more of a twitch gamer. But EURHGHHGHHH.

Really frustrating. It's like the difficulty curve for me did one of these: _______|

The Matrix is difficult because it's so much more limited than the rest of the combat.  I ended up using the cooldown ability every chance I got.  Unlike the spirit fetishes, I would use the helper programs almost immediately every time.

I also ran into an annoying situation where my first decker escaped from The Matrix heavily damaged, but still alive and without triggering the alarm and black ICE.  My other decker went in and the alarm immediately went off—my other character's actions were being counted against my second guy!  That makes it really difficult to recover from any errors or bad luck in the Matrix.

The cooldown ability? OH. The one that reduces alarm status? I admit I've never used it, because I have no idea what that even means. Where do I see what level the alarm is at? U:

Maybe I'm just dumb. U:

I'll give it one more shot on Normal and then switch to Easy if I fail again.

I think you can resummon them once you go back in? It's been a while since I played the game but I know I made it through with my midling hacker skills by jacking in and out a lot.

Hm all right. I thought they were one-time use programs. Maybe only if they die. Welp.

I'm pretty sure that ESPs can only be used once per matrix visit, but the jack-out/jack-in resets all of your ability cooldowns and ESP usage counts. I searched around for confirmation, but I'm not seeing anything out there about ESPs one way or the other.