elmuerte

Shadowrun Kickstarter

MMOs aren't on their way out, subscription ones are, as are themepark MMOs (sort of). Tablet MMOs have never been a good idea though.

Doing some real necromancy here, digging this thread up. Alpha footage has been posted for Shadowrun Returns and it looks pretty damn good.

Personally, I think it's cool to see the subtle differences between this game and Wasteland 2, two Kickstartered games with similar systems and starting points.

I just watched the playthrough today. I was expecting combat options to be "gun + fireball", so I was pleasantly surprised to see summoning spells, spy drones, ley lines, and other ways to mix it up in combat. Fun!

And if they're bringing in Jake Armitage from the SNES game, throw in Sam Verner from the Secrets of Power paperback novels!

This looks a lot more interesting than Wasteland 2... And the UI looks approximately 1000 times better, too.

Agreed! This video looks great, in spite of its obnoxiously aren't-we-in-love-with-ourselves jokey narration.

I actually think the backgrounds, and combat systems look really awesome. I'm not exactly in love with the character models or combat animations. I looked into it in general. It appears that the tech they're building this on is Moai which is also what double fine is using for their adventure game. Are either of these 2 products expected to ship on android or iOS (the platforms Moai is apparently built to target)? Or are they all just using it because of it's built ins (like it's nifty lua scripting lang)?

I actually think the backgrounds, and combat systems look really awesome. I'm not exactly in love with the character models or combat animations. I looked into it in general. It appears that the tech they're building this on is Moai which is also what double fine is using for their adventure game. Are either of these 2 products expected to ship on android or iOS (the platforms Moai is apparently built to target)? Or are they all just using it because of it's built ins (like it's nifty lua scripting lang)?

Not sure about Shadowrun, but DFA is going to be available on iOS and Android.

This looks a lot more interesting than Wasteland 2... And the UI looks approximately 1000 times better, too.

Sadly, but I've already backed both so whatever. Sort of an XCOM/RPG type game going on here.

I think some of these kickstarter games are bound to be a bit clunky, be it time, budget, or manpower. I think it might that be part of the charm? A lot of my favorite late 80s/early 90s games aren't exactly seamless

Shadowrun looks sweet though. Next 2 years are (hopefully) going to be good.

Yeah, I agree that the UI and graphics seem to suit the game really well. I like the pace of the combat, especially the halfway system between discrete action points and XCOM-style "moves".

Just about the only think I can think of to nitpick is that there's not much to grab onto with the items. Guns just seem to be guns, with no real sense if some are better or worse or if there's anything in the way of customization beyond character skills and player choice. I know that weapon selection and gear bling is pretty hard to show in a twenty-minute mission preview, but I hope it's there, regardless.

Still, it makes a hell of a first impression compared to Wasteland 2, but maybe that's just because Wasteland 2 is so much more ambitious?

What's with all the hate on wasteland? I thought their UI design was pretty strange (They appear to be using the same font as the original game... That's certainly a choice...) but I thought the game itself looked good. 

Shadowrun is coming out on iOS and Android too.

:tup:

It's not really hate, per se. The design on display in the Wasteland 2 video just didn't come together as well for me as the Shadowrun Returns video. Like I said, it's probably in part because it's a bigger game and thus harder to epitomize, but I didn't get quite the same "oh man, I can't wait to make a character and play this game" gut punch.

I can't wait for some of my Kickstarter software to start showing up at my door. I won't need to buy games for months.

What's with all the hate on wasteland? I thought their UI design was pretty strange (They appear to be using the same font as the original game... That's certainly a choice...) but I thought the game itself looked good. 

Nothing. This just looks more interesting than Wasteland, and seems to have a much better UI.

More detail: The idea of having all the text appear in a box on the screen, just like in the original game, seems like a really odd choice to me. And it was really jarring when I played the gameplay video in fullscreen. Plus, on a slightly different note, I am a little concerned that Brian Fargo is letting the backers shape the game too much: Don't like clicking on keywords? Don't worry, we'll write dialogue for every one! But otherwise, I'm definitely interested in seeing how Wasteland 2 comes out.

Out today! Early reviews are generally positive, with some critique that its first episode is not big enough, but it seems like it's also set up for them to pump out expansions? 

I was in on the beta and I can tell you it is a solid game. Definitely in the vein of classic computer RPGs. The combat reminds me of the recent XCOM also, which is a good thing. The only complaint that I and other people seem to have is the autosave-only save system. But even that's nothing to really complain about. You just have to wait to quit your game when there is a scene transition.

I think that considering the small team working on it and the relatively short time frame that it was developed in, this can be considered a great success for Kickstarted games. The fact that they managed to create a robust editor of their own on top of Unity is both impressive and should hopefully extend the life of the game a good bit.

Sweet, I lost track that this was today. I'm looking so forward to getting home and trying it out.

I should probably finish my other tactical RPGs before diving in, but I'm really excited about this! (Which is really saying something - I was not a Shadowrun fan at all, really, prior to the Kickstarter and the success its had)

Whenever a thing like this has an editor I get jazzed and tell myself I'll make an adventure, but then I never do. Maybe this time will be different!

That's what I'm telling myself. I hope to return here soon with some sweet corpo-hacking shenanigans!

I spent a lot of time making an adventure in Neverwinter, and it ended up being a let down.

I am, however, thinking of picking up the new edition of the tabletop roleplaying game and then letting that sit on the shelf forever.

I spent a lot of time making an adventure in Neverwinter, and it ended up being a let down.

I am, however, thinking of picking up the new edition of the tabletop roleplaying game and then letting that sit on the shelf forever.

I thought about that, and then I thought about getting the pdf so when I never used it it'd be less of a waste, but then I thought about it and I would for sure never use a pdf of a 500 page book and decided to get neither.

I have to say, so far the tone and feel of the Shadowrun game is about as close as a computer RPG has come to a tabletop RPG. The fact that the writing's really not bad at all makes up for the non-live dialogue, almost.

The only thing that really lets me down is the loot chase, which feels more like slotting perks than customizing gear. But it seems like a fair compromise and, as I get more options beyond just "shoot dude," I might not even miss it.