elmuerte

Shadowrun Kickstarter

I know I just defended the glut of Video game kickstarters in another thread,

but I'm starting to wonder if we might have a whole page of kickstarter threads at this rate.

Never played Shadowrun, either in table or video form. Don't know anything about it. Worth looking at?

Oh god, oh god.

I am pretty fond of Shadowrun.

I am generally against this rapidly exploding trend of me-too kickstarters, but...

There are some people i need to tell about this.

Ah fuck.

edit: I like the idea of Shadow Run and I know there is a good game in it, but I'd really like to see a more modern interpretation, though kickstarter doesn't seem to be the place to get that done.

Even if it was 2d, I'd like to have seen them tackle something slightly more ambitious... but who knows, they haven't sold me to donate, but I'll be watching out for the final product.

He almost had me at Crimson Skies, but then I saw that donating more gives you better stuff in-game, which triggered my instant anti-DLC reaction, and now I'll wait and see, I guess.

edit: I like the idea of Shadow Run and I know there is a good game in it, but I'd really like to see a more modern interpretation, though kickstarter doesn't seem to be the place to get that done.

We got one in 2007 and I'm pretty sure it sucked.

The SNES game did many things right, though mostly atmosphere. But this doesn't really interest me. I don't need elves in my cyberpunk.

The SNES game did many things right, though mostly atmosphere. But this doesn't really interest me. I don't need elves in my cyberpunk.

That combination has always turned me off, too. I love a game of Cyberpunk 2020 or Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, but mixing them together? Yuck.

Well that wasn't EXACTLY a shadow run game, it was a multiplayer first person game using the fiction of Shadow run.

:(

It a pretty fantastic game actually, with the most suicidal marketing in living memory.

-It had nothing almost nothing to do with Shadowrun, which pissed off Shadowrun fans.

-They made a HUGE deal about cross platform which just stirred up juvenile console vs PC snobbery.

-Along with Halo 2 PC it was Vista/DX10 exclusive for no reason other than to help sell Vista, when everyone hated Vista.

I played heaps of it the year it came out and last I looked you can still find games nearly 5 years on. I've not really been into any other competetive games since. It was a terrible shame what happened to that game and that studio. You don't get many multiplayer games with that level of refinement and it was one of the last FPSs without layers of gratuitous persistence and unlocking nonsense.

Yeah, i'll offer some defense for that game too, it was a totally fine and interesting multiplayer shooter. (Had a really friendly player community too.)

It just wasn't Shadowrun in the slightest, and it gained nothing from being branded as a Shadowrun game.

I also agree that the FPS Shadowrun was brilliant, laying down those spikes and trees, being able to warp through walls, flying around with those mechanical bat wings; yeah that game was rad.

No opinion on the SNES game though, and all this Kickstarter stuff is kinda gross.

The Genesis and SNES Shadowrun games were both very distinct and very cool RPG's. (I am particularly fond of that SNES one.)

Shadowrun has always primarily been a pen & paper RPG though, and it sounds like this new game, should it be successfully funded, will be drawing primarily from that.

If anybody is curious about the video games, HG101 had posted an article about them a few years back.

Also:

shadowrun-6.png

OK, this is getting silly... I'm not funding anymore Kickstarters until the last moment, I don't want to blow my monthly gaming budget on some Kickstarters I might like just to see something better come out the next day...

At this rate, we'll be getting all the games we ever wanted... AT THE SAME TIME!?!:clap::woohoo::frusty:;(:clap::woohoo:

Shadowrun is one of those games I heard of too late and could never get my hands on, I guess this is a good start?

I can't justify the real 'reward' categories so I tend to go for the basic ones (I just want the thing itself). This is usually fine but in a couple of cases I've regretted backing at all which has made me much more cautious. I'll probably wait until the last few days from now on to see if I'm actually needed. I love the sound of Shadowrun Returns but I expect it will do fine without me. I wonder if a lot of others are on the same boat and what effect that might have.

For example, I backed Venus Patrol at the lowest level which went way over and seems to have been more about the rewards, the actual website has hardly been mentioned. I just get emails about all the cool shit I didn't pay for because I just wanted the guy to be able to do his blog which he as yet has nothing to show for.

Or the Thief and the Cobbler documentary which nearly two years later appears destined for independent film festival hell.

Quite tempted to invest actually, it sounds like a cool idea and I'd be interested in seeing some more of the Shadowrun universe (I've never played any of the games or read any of the novels, but the premise intrigues me.)

Though I'll very strongly vouch for the FPS, I thought it was cool as hell, in fact, I almost spearheaded a campaign to try and raise awareness of it, but things changed and I lost internet connection for a couple months.

I am slightly worried about this influx of Kickstarters though, I love the idea of a developer being able to stray away from publishers and investors with their hordes of money and ridiculous deadlines, but at the same time, I can't help but feel some people are abusing the system by using it when there's no real need to, and potentially stopping the production of other games that could be great.

So far I have only funded Kickstarters for things I'm a serious, capital-F Fan of, and so therefore I was willing to shell out for higher tiers. I think I'm gonna make a point of only investing in these things if they make me excited enough that I want the merch.

I am not a serious capital-F Fan of very many things. I can probably count them on one hand. So the fact that two of them (Idle Thumbs and Schaefer adventure games) had kickstarters so close together was astounding and, frankly, hit my wallet pretty hard.

I'm excited about this model of game funding conceptually, but there are very few things that could pop up and get money out of me at this point.

I love Shadowrun! I played the SNES game multiple times, the Genesis game for like five minutes at my cousins' house, and read many of the novels.

And, er, I never played the original role playing game.

I'm surprised they secured the rights from Microsoft to get their old property back. And I'm also surprised that their first instinct was to do a computer game, rather than an under-the-radar pen-and-paper game or something like that.

This might be a silly question, but since this is fully funded, can I expect to see the game later for sale for those who didn't back it?

With my limited funds I'd rather give the money to a project that hasn't reached it's goal yet.

This might be a silly question, but since this is fully funded, can I expect to see the game later for sale for those who didn't back it?

With my limited funds I'd rather give the money to a project that hasn't reached it's goal yet.

I'm sure any game that is funded through Kickstarter and completed will be available for purchase eventually. The reason these creators are doing Kickstarter campaigns is so they end up with a game they can release.

MMOs can still do well, they just need to innovate on the genre somehow and not be a clone of WoW.

I don't know how optimistic I can be about a browser/tablet MMO though.