malphigian

0x10c -- Next little number from Mojang

http://0x10c.com/

Hard science fiction multiplayer space game which includes some kind of computer-in-your-computer-game that you get-to/have-to write code on?

It's like he saw Eve Online and said "not hardcore enough!".

Still, I freely admit to be excited by this.

In a parallel universe where the space race never ended, space travel was gaining popularity amongst corporations and rich individuals.

In 1988, a brand new deep sleep cell was released, compatible with all popular 16 bit computers. Unfortunately, it used big endian, whereas the DCPU-16 specifications called for little endian. This led to a severe bug in the included drivers, causing a requested sleep of 0x0000 0000 0000 0001 years to last for 0x0001 0000 0000 0000 years.

That is some nerd-ass shit right there. Ignoring that something like that would cause even more big problems.

I don't know if I'll be able to get into a game like this. I am a programmer by trade, but that doesn't mean I want to do it in a game. Hmm.

As a pixel pusher, I just hope I'm not shut out of high level play by not being able to program the in-game computer. Though I'm sure people will make code/scripts readily available online. Minecraft had something for everybody. Hopefully this does as well. Very curious about it.

This game sounds brilliant to me.

It seems like it could also potentially be a great tool for teaching people programming fundamentals. (Speaking, admittedly, as somebody who is not a programmer. So, i don't know, maybe that's a foolish idea.)

I'm a notch skeptic (cynic?) but those talking points are a good start to win my attention.

This game sounds brilliant to me.

It seems like it could also potentially be a great tool for teaching people programming fundamentals. (Speaking, admittedly, as somebody who is not a programmer. So, i don't know, maybe that's a foolish idea.)

I think it could be an excellent way to learn how basic logic works, maybe? I'm really curious how he's going to handle that part.

As a pixel pusher, I just hope I'm not shut out of high level play by not being able to program the in-game computer. Though I'm sure people will make code/scripts readily available online. Minecraft had something for everybody. Hopefully this does as well. Very curious about it.

It has me a bit worried. I have no knowledge of programming. It is my hope that the interface can be changed so the ship can be controlled by someone like me, or give the player the option to go more in depth with whatever language the console uses.

Regardless of my fears, the idea of the game seems very interesting to me and I can't wait to try it.

I really dunno about this. All we know about this - all he actually has for now - is he's got some sort of CPU emulator working and some cubes. An in-game computer you can program? Sure, it's a fun distraction and a nice bullet point but until he backs it up with something concrete gameplay-wise, I dunno. Feels backwards.

It's not like Minecraft was particularly deep game either - most of the fun to be had was in multiplayer just playing legos with your buddies. It just happened to be in the right place at the right time. We'll see if he can pull it off again.

There was a time when I defended Notch, perhaps not staunchly, but fairly against the ravenous hordes who proclaimed he "did nothing" and "only took vacations" during the development of Minecraft. Now-a-days I realize he's actually just a terrible developer and coder with some interesting ideas. This could be okay, but my expectations are pretty low.

Now-a-days I realize he's actually just a terrible developer and coder with some interesting ideas.

Why?

I think I've voiced slightly similar opinions before, though not with regard to his programming skills or purported laziness or whatever. I guess, since he's known for becoming super rich off his first game I mentally categorize him with Rovio (Angry Birds), Newtoy (* with friends) and now Omgpop (Draw Something), which are companies I suspect stumbled somewhat inadvertently onto huge success, and found themselves sitting on top of a huge pile of money wondering what just happened, unable to do much other than carefully making a sequel. This is of course dumb and uninformed, and I know Mojang already has some other weird game in the works (Scrolls™) and I understand Minecraft is a fundamentally great game. I also haven't been following his doings or codings, and so know nothing of his laziness or bad codingness.

This thing sounds absolutely crazy, and though my initial reaction to announcing a game by releasing the specs for the in-game virtual CPU is expecting it to fail spectacularly as a mainstream game, that is probably already part of the business plan (if there is one.)

I think I've voiced slightly similar opinions before, though not with regard to his programming skills or purported laziness or whatever. I guess, since he's known for becoming super rich off his first game I mentally categorize him with Rovio (Angry Birds), Newtoy (* with friends) and now Omgpop (Draw Something), which are companies I suspect stumbled somewhat inadvertently onto huge success

Angry Birds was Rovio's 52nd game. (see: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-22/-angry-birds-space-edition-skips-windows-phone-in-blow-to-nokia.html among a billion other sources) Notch made probably a billion other things before Minecraft.

in fact, I think if there's one thing that separates the modern gaming ecosystem from the '90s, it's that you can afford to release 50 unappreciated games before striking it rich. you can do shit in your spare time and as long as it's got a coherent theme and some attention to detail (or even if it doesn't), someone will want to play it.

that said, 0x10c sounds completely unplayable from what's been announced so far, and that's coming from someone who's a professional computer programmer.

(but I also don't like Minecraft that much, either.)

Why?

He leaves features unfinished, promises things and does nothing about it (doesn't really bug me but compounds it), leave off completing essential features to work on some stupid idea, is an absolutely horrendous programmer and while he comes up with cool ideas, his implementation of them is questionable.

Minecrafts development has been bettered a thousand fold with Jeb at the helm.

Maybe Notch is Molyneux for the 2010's :grin:

OMGPOP started out as a kind of game-in-a-website where people asked questions and awarded points for the best/funniest/most entertaining answers. I think they then went into various other web games, changing their name to OMGPOP in the process a few years ago. I can't remember their first name, but the website did the rounds for a bit sometime in 2007/2008.

Notch has always been pretty honest about things: There wasn't a grand plan and a lot of what he got was by luck as well as persistence. The worst entrepreneurial types will take all the ego-massage they can get and allow others to put them on a platform and ask them for a drip feed of "insight".

Edit: That was it, i'minlikewithyou. It had all this stuff about "We're not a dating site, but we kind of are".

How many projects are these guys working on now? I fear they may be overreaching a bit considering how small they are.

at least 3:

- Minecraft

- Scrollscraft

- 0x10craft

It has me a bit worried. I have no knowledge of programming. It is my hope that the interface can be changed so the ship can be controlled by someone like me, or give the player the option to go more in depth with whatever language the console uses.

The first thing that came to mind when I read about the virtual computer was that people would be sharing code, and likely some of the first things shared would be UI. Maybe not graphical UI, but at least something like the unix command line.

Orv: You answered a question about why he's a bad coder with the reason "because he's an absolutely horrendous programmer"? Ok.

Let me be more specific.

Minecrafts code is soup. Terrible, poorly optimized, strung-together-with-putty-and-lies soup. The game could run about a trillion times better than it does now, to my understanding.

Angry Birds was Rovio's 52nd game. (see: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-22/-angry-birds-space-edition-skips-windows-phone-in-blow-to-nokia.html among a billion other sources) Notch made probably a billion other things before Minecraft.

Wow, I didn't know Rovio had published that many games! Still, when saying "first game" I was referring to Notch specifically – Minecraft is his first (and only) commercial game, no? Anyway, there's nothing wrong with being successful – even on your first attempt!

in fact, I think if there's one thing that separates the modern gaming ecosystem from the '90s, it's that you can afford to release 50 unappreciated games before striking it rich. you can do shit in your spare time and as long as it's got a coherent theme and some attention to detail (or even if it doesn't), someone will want to play it.
Agreed, it's great! The barrier of entry to a real games market has nearly tempted even me to put out a little thing.
that said, 0x10c sounds completely unplayable from what's been announced so far, and that's coming from someone who's a professional computer programmer.
Yup, it sounds like a terrible idea, though I probably said the same thing about Minecraft when I first heard about it, and look how that turned out. I guess we'll see whether my admittedly uninformed one-hit-wonder intuition proves correcty. Also, let's not forget we know basically nothing about the game at this point, and that so much has changed so much since Minecraft was announced – it'll be interesting, to be sure. Whether it fails or succeeds, I'm certain it will be spectacular!
(but I also don't like Minecraft that much, either.)
Me neither, but I think that's mostly from my feeling sad when peering, sweaty and proud, out of my lame half-finished, half-assed underground fort full of nothing special and see everyone else built amazing statues and fully working Gameboy emulators.

Let me be more specific.

Minecrafts code is soup. Terrible, poorly optimized, strung-together-with-putty-and-lies soup. The game could run about a trillion times better than it does now, to my understanding.

Working with Java myself, I would be very interested to see the code, though from what I understand it's only available to registered plug-in developers. It's still a Java game, right?

He leaves features unfinished, promises things and does nothing about it (doesn't really bug me but compounds it), leave off completing essential features to work on some stupid idea, is an absolutely horrendous programmer and while he comes up with cool ideas, his implementation of them is questionable.

Seriously, this is every developer ever. Only difference is Notch seems to be pretty open about all this stuff.

edit:

Seriously, this is every developer ever. Only difference is Notch seems to be pretty open about all this stuff.

Huh, there really are no good programmers at all?

I heard there was one.

Everyone has their own quirks. For example we have this perfectionist guy who is pretty good, but always abstracts and encapsulates everything. So even a simple data class will have an interface and a factory and a manager and so on. Otherwise he is quite brilliant.

PS. Already thinking about writing a compiler for the DCPU-16 :) Not likely that I'll go through with it though, and not sure I'll like the game as it sounds like it might be awfully complex.

edit:

Yeah, right.

E: Look, I'm going to back out of this. I personally think Notch is a good ideas man and a terrible implementer of those ideas. But maybe, maybe Shittygamename will be good. Who knows. We will see.