ysbreker

What does your view look like?

Having spent a lot of time reading the Something Awful thread about terrible Kickstarters, I thought y'all were talking about LIFX and was astounded someone go ttheir reward already.

If I recall correctly, the argument is that measuring CRI at low color temperatures is not comparable to CRI ratings for higher temperature lamps. So while a 2700K incandescent might measure 100 CRI, it’s not actually useful information, because everything looks orange under it regardless, so you can only compare CRI between bulbs at the same temperature, and CRI is likely to be higher at lower CCTs.

That sounds pretty fishy. A white paper looks white in a room illuminated by incandescent lamp.

No, the problem is that small changes in the non-smooth spectrum of, for example, LED and fluorescent lamps (e.g. a peak shift of a couple of nanometers) can lead to drastic changes in the CRT even if there is practically no perceivable difference in color rendering.

Well not all CFL lamps are bad, and while the ones I own are not as good as I remembered, they aren’t terrible either, nor were they extremely expensive like LEDs are right now. Those CFLs are a perfect D50 white color too—no green/magenta tint that is common with many 5000K lamps. (CCT does not denote a specific color)

I never did get around to measuring the Philips LEDs I purchased though. (note: it just happens that the display calibration hardware I own is also capable of measuring the spectrum and CCT of other light sources—I don’t do anything light related for work purposes)

Interesting! What lamp is that? And where/how you got that spectrum? The spectrum of all the CFL lamps I have measured has been more or less like this. In fact, my first thought was that either that was in log scale or that the measurement device is not up to the task (i.e. The spectral bandwidth of the instrument is so high that the peaks are averaged out, and/or the instrument saturates or is non-linear in terms of intensity. At least, the 10 nm steps size seems a bit too large for this type of measurement). I have mainly focused* on warm-white lamps, though, and not with an aim of making a comprehensive market study, so it is more than likely that a spectrum like that can indeed be achieved with a different type of phosphorous coating. Still, I wouldn't call the spectrum any prettier or more natural than that of the LED lamps. :)

For the record, I'm in no hurry in replacing my bulbs with LED lamps, not while the prices are so high. I would perhaps consider them for places where I need the full intensity of the light right away or for outdoor use, as both areas are problematic for fluorescent lamps, but as it is, I'm fairly content with my CFLs.

* And at the moment I'm focused on different things entirely.

Anyway, back to topic: I can see some sort of hill through my window.

Not the most inspiring of days to have not the most inspiring of views! Still, it's a great spot for "working".

post-24315-0-65503900-1359905711_thumb.jpg

That sounds pretty fishy. A white paper looks white in a room illuminated by incandescent lamp.
Maybe it’s because I do a lot of work with display calibration, that I am so used to how things look at D65, but my perception is “that is a white piece of paper, but it looks yellow/orange under this light”.
Interesting! What lamp is that? And where/how you got that spectrum? The spectrum of all the CFL lamps I have measured has been more or less like this. In fact, my first thought was that either that was in log scale or that the measurement device is not up to the task (i.e. The spectral bandwidth of the instrument is so high that the peaks are averaged out, and/or the instrument saturates or is non-linear in terms of intensity. At least, the 10 nm steps size seems a bit too large for this type of measurement). I have mainly focused* on warm-white lamps, though, and not with an aim of making a comprehensive market study, so it is more than likely that a spectrum like that can indeed be achieved with a different type of phosphorous coating.
There is a German company called Androv Medical that I sourced them from. Their Kelvin ratings for the lamps are wrong, but in a good way—I prefer that it is 5000K rather than the advertised 6000K. I use an i1Pro which samples at 3.5nm but gives readings in 10nm steps.
Still, I wouldn't call the spectrum any prettier or more natural than that of the LED lamps. :)
No, but they are a lot cheaper, and those lamps were specifically bought because I needed a “daylight” light to work under. I still use halogen lamps in the bedroom and other places around the house for lighting at night, because they don’t have that blue spike in their spectrum that interferes with melatonin production.
Anyway, back to topic: I can see some sort of hill through my window.
Yes, I apologize for taking this so off-topic.

Yes, I apologize for taking this so off-topic.

Haha, don't worry. I'm as much at fault in here. :)

And thanks for the info! Those lamps look interesting.

Using flux for a while (I stopped because it made playing video really taxing on my system) taught me that staring at a monitor changes how you see the lighting in the room you are in. After a while of using flux, the halogen lighting seemed white again. But now, it'll seem orange if I spend the evening sitting at the computer.

Have signed the papers for my new flat, which is in the same building but has an almost comically big balcony (and extra room, the main motivation for moving). I'm yet to fully move in so I quickly took the shots while attempting to not trip to my doom over the bags and boxes dotted around, but I suspect this will be pretty nice in summer — if it ever arrives this year.

balcony.jpg

Niiiiiiicccccceeeeeee have you got the corner flat? Extra nice

You could keep chickens! You'll have no fear of foxes

Ooh. I often stare up at the balcony like a pleb when I'm passing through Sneinton market. I expect to see you wearing ermine and waving next time :)

That looks amazing! I'll have to take a pic of the mountains I can look at while eating when I'm home after the weekend.

Haha, that was the window cleaners I think. We were warned we should keep blinds closed this weekend if we don't fancy some bloke randomly appearing at the window.

Yet to get all my furniture into the new flat. Have essentially ordered an entire flat's worth of shit from IKEA which they're going to have a fun time delivering next week. :tup/

Cow attack today. The view out the side of the house is much nicer than my through the window pic makes it look as well.

M0yQMGr.jpg

uXkCe3R.jpg

Happy Canada Day! It turns out that not using a tripod and turning the camera sideways while using fireworks mode gives some really damned weird shots, but still.

KckBsY5.jpg

Vn8M9x0.jpg

CipkNP4.jpg

Also, I realized I only showed a winter view before. Here's some springtime sunset shots from my window from a few weeks back.

zDGrFKd.jpg

47z5Pgp.jpg

ca3NaQo.jpg

I should take some summer pics.

I can see the Sears Tower from my porch and Trump Tower from my living room window, but my camera's phone is too lousy to take a picture of either.

Got some iPhone footage of a storm from my balcony last night:

Sweet. We had a load of crazy-loud thunder through the night in Cambridge.

The storms have been nuts here compared to normal. Last night, the one Thrik videoed was warm enough we felt perfectly comfortable being out in it. This morning, thunder woke me up and was loud enough that we could feel it through the floor. This evening it rumbled continuously for about 45 minutes.

This is my view, although I rarely look at it. But today was a good day, sunny not too hot, and I finally have garden chairs  (although I use them on my balcony)

j2oHmbv.jpg

Nice, feels like you're in an RPG or something. :tup:

As a city dweller these tree things are quite unusual.