ThunderPeel2001

Your first gaming device...

First gaming device I bought would have been a joystick (and an interface component) for the Sinclair ZX Spectrum, I was probably 7-8. The next would probably been my 386 20hmz PC I got for "school". It had a turbo button on it. Still gaming, still buying... still trying to see how deep this rabbit hole goes.

KM3xHl.jpg

mb_vectrex_1s.jpg

The Vectrex. My dad bought this from a guy at work with about 15 games. Can't remember what happened to it. I do remember being blown away when I played "Spike" for the first time and the main characters actually talked. Well, screeched out electronic noises that sounded like speech.

I grew up with these sumbitches:

Colecovision (note the rad wheel and the Atari 2600 adapter, which broadened one's potential library significantly)

8PtVA.jpg

Apple IIc

atadp.jpg

Since I'm already talking accessories, we had some good stuff for the Apple, like the Cricket sound module (which had an awesome voice synthesis function, kiss my butt Dr. SBAITSO) and the KoalaPad drawing tablet.

GRRZZZT

aGPtm.jpg

*CLUNK*

1cnXS.jpg

Gameboy. Gameboy pocket, actually. I'm a youngster.

I played games on my parents PC before that; mostly educational stuff. But I can't remember very many specifics about the hardware. It was running Windows 3.0, whatever it was.

A usual nes as a gift for my brother's birthday .

Really great memories about all my brothers & family gathering around the Tv to understand how to plug that damn thing & then watching endlessly the intro scene of Super Mario Bros 3 & dying on the first goomba.

& playing contra & dying on the first damn screen over & over.

:violin:Fun Times.:violin:

My earliest memory is either my Dad's Atari or playing games on this early laptop he had (he worked at Data General, it wasn't his):

Datageneral355.jpg

They called it the "Pharaoh" and it had four shades of yellow! I could play games that were not made for it but ran in four color CGA.

No idea I was playing on the pioneer in laptops.

Mario Land 2 was awesome :D

It definitely was.

Metroid II though, that game blew my mind!

To my seven year old self, it was terrifying. Terrifying!

With all of its weird, creepy

I had a Commodore 64 with a big box of pirated games that my dad had obtained somehow. For years, that was my only source of games, so I was always the kid who went to a friend's house pretty much just to play their NES. I didn't get a console of my own until the SNES.

I still have the C64 (and the SNES, for that matter). I tried hooking it back up a few months ago and it still mostly worked, except that some of the sound was missing and it was incredibly difficult to get a clear picture.

Played a lot of NES at friends' houses as a kid but wasn't allowed to own a video game console. However, our first PC (a Tandy 1000 TX, I'm pretty sure) circumvented this rule somehow. Played a lot of Battle Chess, Number Munchers, and some Looney Tunes cartoon maker. I remember getting in a lot of trouble for installing or saving things on the hard drive (rather than on my allotted floppy disc) as we were fighting against a 20MB capacity hard drive. Sadly, it was clear its days were numbered when it choked on Space Quest IV.

tandy1000tx.jpg

Played a lot of Battle Chess

Battle Chess is how I learned to play chess. I was primarily motivated by being able to see all the funny animations. :grin:

I don't think we had any actual games until my Dad got a Windows 95 machine with mountains of shareware CDs including some Apogee demos. So imagine the most generic looking beige 1995 'multimedia' PC possible.

(I'm 23.)

It definitely was.

Metroid II though, that game blew my mind!

To my seven year old self, it was terrifying. Terrifying!

With all of its weird, creepy

Ah, I was more of a Donkey Kong kid. I never played Metroid until Metroid Prime and Fusion.

I still have mine.

The only way any self-respecting kid could rightly play Commander Keen or Jazz Jackrabbit.

Hah, do you still have the little stick that screws into the pad?

I love/hate that pad… played a lot of Doom deathmatches and similar shit with one of those before discovering the wonders of mouse and keyboard control.

Yup!

I also have a weird Windows 95/98 follow-up pad Gravis produced, it was styled like an early PSX pad instead of a SNES pad. It was very nice, but it had absolutely horrendous drivers, it was impossible to get working.

I don't know where i have that one, but it's probably around somewhere.

I love/hate that pad… played a lot of Doom deathmatches and similar shit with one of those before discovering the wonders of mouse and keyboard control.

It was really only useful for a lot of those early 2d sharewares, and for those it was great, it's a very responsive pad.

Hey, hey... Alright...

Here's another question for the topic. What was the first game you guys all played online, what was the setup?

For me, it was playing C&C: Red Alert via dial up probably early in 97. Calling up a friend and telling them to make sure nobody in their household picked up the phone, because the next call was going to be the game trying to connect.

Good times.

My first game system was the Gemini Video Game System (Coleco's Atari 2600 clone)

Thanks to my pinball, and arcade loving mom.

800px-Coleco-Gemini-Console.jpg

We had two splitters and four Gemini controllers (Joystick/Paddle combo).

Games (alphabetical order)

Breakout, Defender, Demon Attack, Warlords, Yars' Revenge.

Highlights

Achievement Get!

Surviving through Stage 99 of Defender, and end up at Stage 01 again. The first game I "beat".

Most fun.

Playing 4 player Warlords with my parents and my sister.

Most frustrating.

Nobody was able to beat my mom at Breakout. Untouchable.

For me, it was playing C&C: Red Alert via dial up probably early in 97. Calling up a friend and telling them to make sure nobody in their household picked up the phone, because the next call was going to be the game trying to connect.

Good times.

Unreal tourny. I didn't know why everyone was jerking around so much, and quickly went back to playing single player.

I remember having that game pad as well. The stick broke very early on and did not withstand multiple super glues.

This beauty was my first -

appleiic.jpg

The Apple II c. I played a ton of Oregon Trail and the various Carmen Sandiego's on this thing. Gotta love 5.25" floppies.

I think those of us who got into gaming after the crash of the American console market will tend to have much less interesting answers to this question.