ThunderPeel2001

Your first gaming device...

I was just surfing the net on this glorious and sunny day, when I suddenly remembered my first gaming machine, and decided to look it up. Since I last searched for it, the internet has added a lot more information about it... The Datapoint 2200. A machine that my Dad's work (a bank) was throwing away, and so he brought home.

It had a purely text-based output, and so had only a few really basic games. It loved it, and played it until it broke, whereupon we got a Spectrum +3.

But this little beauty (41 years old) was my first ever gaming device:

datapoint2200.jpg

http://www.1000bit.it/scheda.asp?id=1392

What was yours?

Mine was probably a Russian knock-off of something. I didn't actually know what it was, but now you made me look it up and I think it was Atari 2600 knock-off, because it looked very similar to this:

800px-Atari-2600-Wood-4Sw-Set.jpg

Like I wrote in the other thread, MSX2, baby! Popular in pretty much only Japan and the Netherlands, but as result we did get a lot of cool Japanese games :tup:

vg-8235.jpg

Booting screen:

MSX2boot.gif

My first video games were played on this machine (an IBM XT "clone" made by Philips):

p3105a.jpg

It was also the machine I started programming on

My dad had a commodore 64 in his home office when I was a little kid. I spent so much time on that damn thing.

All you people are old! My father got a 386 for his work, so that was the first PC and around the same time, my grandma and mum got me and my brother a NES. Those 2 machines got it properly started for me. Though I do remember at an even younger age, playing some Atari games, namely Space Invaders and some other game on an Atari my dad eventually threw out.

At the time, I wasn't really aware of who made games and where they came from, but my older brother was, so besides the games we'd scrounge up from the library and random shareware we got from people in class, he'd read about stuff and get (now) classic vidya games.

When later getting a PC, a Pentium 166, we could pick a game with it. My brother wanted to get Warcraft, but I wasn't interested; the box art wasn't to my liking... So we went with the 11th Hour instead. Still a choice I retro-actively regret making.

Wasn't the MSX made by Microsoft? I always thought it was interesting that when MS returned to gaming they decided to use the "X" again.

Also: Atari ST and Amiga 500 :tup: :tup: :tup:

I'm a total Amiga nut. There's very little I don't know about that old machine.

My path went: Datapoint 2200, Spectrum +3, Amiga 500, Amiga 1200, PC, PlayStation, GameBoy Color, XBOX 360, Nintendo DS XL, PS3.

Correct, Microsoft Japan originally conceived the MSX, but it wasn't so much a console as it was a standard for computers. The one I had was manufactured by Philips.

I don't remember if this was the first one. But I remember my mom being sent a BBC Micro from her work. I played some weird fairytale text adventure game on it, the name I can't recall.

BBCDE1.JPG

Maybe it was

, sure looks like it.

I got a NES for my fourth birthday. I think my dad just wanted one, but used me as an excuse. Played the hell out of some Super Mario Bros. though.

We had a spectrum 48k. My main memories are playing Cookie and double dragon on the squishy keys and watching my brother type programmes from magazines. He says we had a pong machine before that, but I don't remember it. Then we upgraded to a 386 and an Amiga 500. I had rick dangerous as well toblix, but the 1st one. :) for a long time my favourite game on the 386 was a shipping simulator.

BigJKO was it Grandma's Garden? I used to play it in my friends house before school.

My first gaming experience was with one of the Apple II systems, i don't remember specifically which variant. It was already a few years old by the time i started playing around with it.

This was the game though.

After that, it was the Gameboy, the SNES, a DOS PC, and then Windows 95 and the internet probably early in 96.

If it involved hitching a ride on a bee, than it was Granny's Garden.

I'm convinced TP posting this thread is merely another circuitous trick by the ex-girlfriend that keeps trying to find out how old I am ¬¬

*cough*

Atari_400_System_s1.jpg

Mine was probably a Russian knock-off of something. I didn't actually know what it was, but now you made me look it up and I think it was Atari 2600 knock-off, because it looked very similar to this:

800px-Atari-2600-Wood-4Sw-Set.jpg

Yep, that's the one. Mine was a hand-me-down from relatives. I was too young to play on it that much, but I vividly remember that awful Activision tooth brush game, and also my mum was a total badass at Defender!

We got a knock-off NES many years later (1994, I believe) called the Pegasus. I did a google search on a whim, and lo and behold, I found this:

Pegasus.jpg

I don't actually remember what it looks like, but that looks close enough! Reading up, it seems they were big in Poland, but I was living in Dubai at the time. I played the shit out of that thing.

After that came a series of PCs, starting with a 33MHz 486 (4 MB RAM, 20MB HDD). Over a decade later I bought a DS, which opened the floodgates to buying every current-gen handheld & home console. :gaming:

For me it was some sort of computer that I didn't know was a computer, I thought it was a flight simulator or something because I was super young and the games my dad got me were all the Star Wars ones like X-Wing, Rebel Assault, Rogue Squadron, and also that Star Wars Podracer game. I played everything with a Logitech Wingman Force, the big stick that moved around on it's own and had force feed back, it was awesome. This guy:wingmanm.jpg I didn't know that the mouse and keyboard were the standard inputs for a computer for a REALLY long time because I never used them at all, ever, until I started playing point and click adventures. I found the Wingman in my dad's closet in his office less than a month ago and was super psyched, but there are no drivers at all for it and I can't get it to work, but I still have it sitting on my desk again because I love it.

Represent.

chalk-on-ground.jpg

Seriously though, I got an old Atari 2600 from my uncle and it all basically went downhill from there.

I had a Vic-20 was a very little kid and still lived in Canada.

vic20.jpg

It only had a math "game" and won't I think was some sort of database, since all you could do with it was type a word and it would tell you if it had it in storage or not?

Does it really count if I didn't really play with it? When I moved to Spain I had a C-64, which is I would count as my first, since it had actual games on it!

If it involved hitching a ride on a bee, than it was Granny's Garden.

Yes it did, and indeed it was. :tup:

This dude right here, around 1996 or so. I'd played stuff on friends computers and messed around on our 386 at home, but this was the first gaming device I bought and owned myself. Then I got an N64 a couple of years later and it blew me away -IGN.com

Gameboy.jpg

My very own 1st gaming device was a Gameboy as well:) I got it from lost property where my aunt worked. I'd like to think now that nobody ever tried to find it again, but you never know...I got quite a few games with it, including my beloved Mario and the 6 golden coins. I hope karma just gave around 9 of my DS games to a needy kid after i left them on a flight a while back.

I used to play picross for hours on it, huddled up in bed. A few years ago my mum got addiced to picross on her DS. Like mother like son^^

My dad had a commodore 64 in his home office when I was a little kid. I spent so much time on that damn thing.

My mother owned a Commodore 64 too, and incidentally I had a dream about it last night for some reason (in my dream, the C64 secretly had a way to run modern Windows OS' and I had a super fast cable internet connection and stuff on it - totally weird and probably beside the point).

I don't know which came first; the C64 or the Atari 2600. My mother worked in the payroll department of Atari back in the 80's so that's how we got the Atari in the first place. I definitely experienced playing both when I was about 4 years old back in '89. Then we got an NES in 1990.

Video games have always been present in my life pretty much. Also I'm jealous of Rodi.