Tanukitsune

Putt-Putt on the... iPhone?

Nimbus Games seems to have appeared out of nowhere and seems to own the rights to the Humongous Entertainment games, but... I'm kinda suspicious. :hmph:

The "About" section has the people that form Nimbus Games and they all seems to come from important companies except... they only give out their first name.

I also find it suspicious that the "Press" section is just five star reviews.

Shouldn't something like this make a blip on the game news networks, even if it's just a tiny one? Is it possible that they are so new that nobody knows about them yet?

Also, give us Fatty Bear, dammit!:(

Whoa shit nostalgia bomb. Putt-Putt and Freddie Fish were amazing.

You know, now that I think about it, Day of the Tentacle was my first point & click adventure game. Having satiated myself with that, followed closely by Fate of Atlantis and Sam & Max Hit the Road, I wonder why I ever even played the super-easy Humongous games at all. I guess... even if DOTT was my first, I was still a tiny child-thing, and those kind of characters and such still appealed to me.

PUTT-PUTT GOES TO THE MOON.

oh god i think putt-putt vs freddie fish was my first real fanboy-debate, that i got into with my brother, cause i liked putt-putt more and he liked freddie fish more

At any rate: this is neat. If I ever have kids, I certainly wouldn't mind buying them these games. They were so much fun to me. X:

Guys guys guys, PAJAMA SAM is the best. Even though I was a little too old to appreciate those titles fully. I mean, I grew up with MSX2, so my childhood favorite was the game where you had to jump to the top of a huuuuge tree as a little Indian.

Ha, ha, I wonder how many of us Europeans started with an 8-bit computer like the Amstrad, Spectrum or MSX?

I was an adult when I got my hand on Spy Fox... it's the only Humongous game I own. ;(

This was announced quite some time ago so perhaps you missed the blip, I was certainly aware of it months ago and have no reason to believe it to be anything but legit. :tup: Not that I ever played the Humongous games despite being of a roughly appropriate age when they came out. :tmeh:

Edit: Atari announcement from November.

I'm glad it's legit!

I don't care what age they are intended for, I love clicking on random objects and seeing something weird happen like in The Manhole!

I'm pretty sure I'm subscribed to the Atari Newsletter, I guess either I didn't read that email... Oops?

I feel kind of embarrassed I played the Putt-Putt and Freddi Fish games when I was like 14 or something. It was, ostensibly, to help my seven year old brother. But I just really liked them.

I remember playing the Putt-Putt one in the zoo a lot. They were dubbed in Dutch (Flemish actually, which added to its charm to me) so it would be interesting to see them in the original language.

Yes, I'm a 25 year old man who wants to play an adventure game starring a purple car.

How do you feel about racial stereotypes in the form of cars?

Port seems to be decent, was a point and click adventure so the interface seems fine. Can't find a way to save my game, though. It's not optimized for the retina display of my iPad but it looks fine.

Best part: it has Game Center achievements.

My Uncle worked for Humongous for a while in the 90's, my favorites were the Spyfox games, though I think Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon and the Freddie Fish with the kelp stuff were the first games I played. Anyways from what I remember the woman who made Fatty Bear left the company and took the rights for the character with her which is why they only ever made one Fatty Bear game.

Besides, if they up and release a game called "Fatty" Bear today, parents will be in an uproar about offending their obese children.

Besides, if they up and release a game called "Fatty" Bear today, parents will be in an uproar about offending their obese children.

Especially the hairy gay bearded male ones.

I played through all of the Freddi Fish and Pajama Sam games a few years back. I didn't really bother with Putt Putt since it was for younger players. Haven't gotten to Spy Fox yet.

But truly these games are genius edutainment and are very appealing to adults. So many of the crap edutainment games in the 90s could never reach this level. It seems that class of games has died out since then.

I'm also amazed how much great artwork and beautiful animation went into the Humongous games. There was a lot of skilled and difficult stuff going on that I don't think most edutainment companies would have wasted time on, let alone that they had better animation than many adventure games at the time. The voice acting was top notch and the games still run fine on modern computers without ScummVM. Seems to be a solid engine.

Anyway, I really admire Ron Gilbert's venture into the edutainment world. Lots of crazy polish that probably went unnoticed by many. I bet it was a blast working there as an artist.

It's cool to see that people like these games. As someone who got all of the games and grew up in the 90's playing all of them they're some of my favorite games ever, but I never knew people recognized them since when I was in elementary school my friends only vaguely knew of Humongous from the backyard sports series. I haven't played any of them since I was probably 9 or 10, but hearing they they are still fun today makes me want to go back and play them again, especially since there's a third Spy Fox game that I haven't played before.

I actually did have the first three Putt Putt games and the first Freddi Fish when I was younger, but I guess I had played Monkey Island and Sam and Max first, as I had gotten the Humongous games later after their release date. 10 year old me wanted to not play cutesy games, so I didn't appreciate them for what they were, even though I did beat what I had and enjoyed them to some extent.

I guess partly I revisited them because I wanted to play the Ron Gilbert/Dave Grossman games I missed, even if they were kid's games, and my first job out of college was doing art on learning games, which ended up being a ton of fun.

Whoa! It looks like they just released a Pajama Sam game! The price is a little higher than the others, I guess they dropped the price of their other games to celebrate this one? It seems to be a pretty common practice in the iOS app store.

I once got a demo cd of one Spy Fox game with some cereals like 10 years ago. I have no idea why that demo cd was there, but demo was great however.

I once got a demo cd of one Spy Fox game with some cereals like 10 years ago. I have no idea why that demo cd was there, but demo was great however.

Was it Spy Fox in Dry Cereal?

How do you feel about racial stereotypes in the form of cars?

Why is this the best thing I've read in a week? Whyyyyyy?

I'm pretty sure it was Dry Cereal the game Kolzig got in the cereals, it would be strange if it were any other of the games.

I took a plunge and bought them, there is only three of them, one for each series (except Spy Fox) and oddly enough, they aren't releasing them in order, that is, if they intend in releasing more than one of each series.

They are pretty fun! Putt-Putt Save The Zoo has a singing topiary scene which seems to point out that the song "Wet, wet, wet" from a previous Freddi Fish game wasn't that good. Is it me or would a child never get this joke?

And you're right about the racial stereotypes in cars, the Aussie car might as well be cooking a shrimp on the "barbie".

It seems the games reference each other a lot! Even Fatty Bear seems to have made a cameo in both games I've played and he only had one game!

OK, I played Pajama Sam and noticed something odd, somebody asked for an item I couldn't find, which was weird because I had everything to end the game.

I checked online and it looks like they removed the item! Maybe they did it because it made a little too hard for kids?:erm:

You sure it maybe wasn't a bug where a character said something they weren't?

In most Humongous games, there's generally three random paths to each puzzle that change everytime you restart the game. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't a case where someone was speaking of something not available in your particular started game just because the amount of alternate realities the game world has to juggle.

Oh, I had no idea the games had random elements in them, I only played each of them once.