Erkki

Trine 2

Been playing this on and off. It's still the good old Trine, with some differences.

:tup: The visuals are even more detailed than before, it looks absolutely stunning

:tmeh: There seems to be more timed stuff this time, and the usual enemies are a bit tougher (which slightly annoys me).

:tup: A few Pipe puzzles here and there

:tmeh: A few Portal puzzles

:tup: Cool secrets

:tmeh: Some secrets seem hard enough that I'd rather just continue the game

This is pretty much why I only play a couple of levels at a time.

Turns out I only had the final boss level to do when I posted that. So that's my review of the game. Overall it's :tup: with a slight leaning towards :tmeh:. It's entirely possible that the first one just seems better because it was the original. At least this time there wasn't a ridiculous timing based end level, but the boss actually disappointed a bit in how easy it was.

I still need to play the first game, but it's always sounded like something I would enjoy.

I'm playing through this co-op currently via Xbox Live Arcade (it's a better platform for couch-style co-op'ness). I haven't read through any of the comments yet so far in this thread so I wouldn't spoil anything (even though there probably isn't that much to spoil), but a couple thoughts so far:

The wizard controls aren't very wizard. I understand the whole novelty of drawing your spells, but it's not really working on the console controls. There's something really off about it.

It's more Trine, but better looking, so that's cool, I guess. Or is it? :shifty:

It's a pretty slow burn for me at the moment... not really itching to play it, especially with those portal-esque puzzles... it kind of seems forced into there.

I got it for free on PSN Plus, I think it plays a bit better with a dual-stick joystick, special for the wizard.

Speaking of which, I kinda didn't care about upgrading the rest of my team after I fully upgraded the wizard. It would have been nice if there had been more to find than XP.

I did encounter a few glitches when I tried to drag a few items too far away from their point of origin, but it was a pretty fun experience.

PS: Maybe it was because I was playing on an easier mode, but the final boss' energy didn't regenerate when I died, it made it too easy?:erm:

It's entirely possible that the first one just seems better because it was the original.

I don't think it's just that. Having just finished it, it seemed more like Wizard - The Game. Maybe I should have checked my expectations beforehand, but it felt like the fluidity and kineticism of its predecessor was gone and replaced with "stack boxes to get past x".

On the plus side, it was very very pretty.

But you do have to use the knight to fight most enemies. And the thief for most of the climbing. But the thief does have the least prominent role, I just use her for the final part after stacking some boxes with the wizard.

Anyway... so far I'm loving it. It's also great that you can quit at any time and don't lose level progress. This was really annoying in Trine 1.

See, I didn't even find out that the thief has an awkward walljump now, until I read your post, maybe that could have helped a little bit. Even the stacking part, I'd usually just finish up with the Wizard using a falling plank as a stepping stone, always seemed to be the easiest approach.

I may just be slightly bummed, because the thief - as you said - has the least prominent role now and I loved her to bits in the first Trine, whereas now she barely seems to be a valid option for anything but some minor shortcutting.

My main question about people who have problems with the Thief: How often did you use her in the first game? I played through (almost) ALL of Trine 1 as the thief, so if your experiences were similar, I'm now super sad. Thanks for sorta pre-answering this, Malice Song.

My main question about people who have problems with the Thief: How often did you use her in the first game? I played through (almost) ALL of Trine 1 as the thief, so if your experiences were similar, I'm now super sad. Thanks for sorta pre-answering this, Malice Song.

For me it was about the same as first game. I preferred Thief for movement and going after the potions and orbs. When Thief seemed too hard or impossible, I used Wizard. The Knight was only for fights and blocking projectiles.

My main question about people who have problems with the Thief: How often did you use her in the first game?

Running the danger of getting redundant, but:

I was the same as you in the first Trine, almost exclusively thieving it up, combat included.

I may be pulling shit out of my ass, but I think Trine 2 is visually more up close, which makes your ranged combat slightly less effective, so when some enemies charge at you while some use projectiles against you, the knight seems like the more natural choice in most cases.

As far as kineticism and getting orbs goes, maybe mastering walljumps could have helped, but I was under the impression that the amount of grappleable (is that even a word?) surfaces has been massively reduced, while a lot of objects for the Wizard to interact with have been added to puzzle solving.

So basically to me the difference was: whereas in Trine your objective was to get from start to finish, mostly in whatever way you prefered, Trine 2 feels more divided into several small objectives and a prefered choice for each: knight for combat, wizard for puzzles/obstacles, thief for, well, not much, really, and while I guess you could try to switch it up, I always felt like I'd needlessly just make things more difficult for myself, instead of just changing up my modus operandi.

Keep in mind, though, it is entirely possible that I just got terrible at games in the last two years.

Just completed it. I'm giving it a :tup:

It was pretty much Trine 1 just without meatcircus stages.

The graphics were great, very colorful, good music.

My main negative point would be that the puzzles are not really polished. I usually throw some cubes and planks against it until I can wiggle my way past it. I never felt content with the way I passed obstacles.