Sno

What would Molydeux

I wish I'd look like this dude.

(Oh, wait, I petty much do. Btw, it's from one of Mark Hamers Polaroids.)

But yeah, people's avatars greatly influence my perception of them. And when people change pictures, I get confused.

Maybe it's not SUPPOSED to be a strange thing, but it's absolutely an uncommon thing, especially in the game industry. It's a field that is utterly dominated by straight white men, to a ridiculously disproportionate degree. It's completely worth pointing this out.

:tup:

Very much. Also, as an event organiser it can be a hard thing to deal with directly without just coming over as patronising or exploitative. That's not to say the problem can't be addressed, just that some people make a really bad job of it. Coincidence or not, kudos for drawing such a crowd in Oakland.

The internet didn't teach me anything about gender presence. Since I joined in 1997 I never really thought about what gender the others were, there were just names, often rather gender neutral and certainly race neutral.
I don't mean this to be confrontational at all but this is a typical privileged white guy thing to say. I feel we've had this conversation a million times before so I don't really care to have it again. :hmph:

Oh, that could very well be it.

Anyway... molydeux. There are seriously way too many games to try out.

In case anyone is genuinely in some kind of doubt that this is an almost entirely all-male forum, let me just say this: it is.

Anyway... molydeux. There are seriously way too many games to try out.

As a lowly Mac user, I have been clicking on games and getting excited when it's a Flash game or HTML5 game.

I've been getting disappointed more often, but what do I expect? At least there's a lot of video!

I was trying to decide whether to set my avatar as Professor Farnsworth or Shatner with the hope that people would read my posts from this point on as if that person were saying them.

I... chosetopickShatner

As a lowly Mac user, I have been clicking on games and getting excited when it's a Flash game or HTML5 game.

I've been getting disappointed more often, but what do I expect? At least there's a lot of video!

Our game is playable on OS X and Windows:

http://whatwouldmolydeux.com/display.php?GameID=271

During development half of us were using Macs and half of us PCs!

I attended the LA jam and was in a team with Brendon Chung (of Blendo Games) and we made this goofy thing:

Nuka Baby

It's pretty fun to play with 2 players.

It was a fun experience. We fleshed out the idea of noise attracting one kind of monster and light attracting another. Pretty shortly after that, Wallace Huang just started building the game framework in Unity (like getting a thing to move when you hit the wasd keys).

James Liu wanted to learn Unity so he started making random things like clicking the mouse to spawn enemies as a "debug feature". James and Brendon were also excited to have a whole physics engine with particles to play with so they started making placeholder enemies out of rigid objects, and started figuring out how they would move to attack the player. By the end of Friday night, we had these balls and cylinders that would follow the player and they would pile up and collide and fly off and do all sorts of hilarious things depending on whether the baby was glowing or the parent was singing.

My favorite stage of the game was late Friday night. The "sound monsters" were rigid object cylinders that would chase the player. Their movement was based on physics and collisions and the "attack" was basically just a force toward the player. As the player sang the lullaby, the cylinders would move toward him and would almost immediately fall on the ground. After that, their only means of locomotion would be to roll. But if the player just stood to the side of them, they would pathetically roll back and forth, trying and failing to reach the player, like some rabid flipped-over beetle with no legs.

On Saturday, we decided we were having too much fun testing these things out and the "test bed" became the game itself. So it was just a matter of tweaking gameplay mechanics, setting up some goals, rules and obstacles, and getting art in.

Aside from chipping in with design and tweaking, I was mostly responsible for the art. I had a lot of issues getting things out of maya and into unity so the actual nuclear baby throwing a tantrum and crying nuclear tears at the end didn't make it in, even though the asset itself is sitting there in the project, mocking me. But that's also the charm of these jams, you can only do so much in 48 hours and you just have to let things go and focus on what's most important.

Suprisingly, a game called "Nuka Baby" doesn't even need to have a model of the baby to be fun.

Edited by Drublic

Don't think I've posted here before...

Err, anyways...

If you've ever been curious about the identity of the insane mind behind PeterMolydeux, he outed himself a few times on some UK based podcasts, where he's from. It's Adam Capone, gameslave for some contracting company that worked on Kinectimals, and other various things.

If you want to listen to him talk to his friends and be generally f-ing weird, let me direct you to the Joypod podcast.

He also did an 'interview' with Cane and Rinse, generally summing up who he is and what he's about.

No, not shilling for them - I've been a longtime thumbs listener, and found the crossover between Idle Thumbs and this 'smallish' world of UK game podcasts I follow amusing in a 'small world' kind of way.

Wanted to share.

:getmecoat

So we're doing this again... www.molyjam.com

July 5th - 7th

Come make games.

Sean Vanaman interviews Peter Molyneux, via Game Informer -

That was a fantastic conversation. I loved how it went two ways, and it got into all these interesting topics, and Peter Molyneux had voices in his head, and then it ended with zombie survival tactics. Well done, Sean! You obviously had a blast there, and so did Peter.

Haha. Oh god I love Molydeux's imagination.

xbone-quiz-show.png

He is the only reason I'd ever consider signing up for twitter. So amazing.

that was a lot more interesting than I expected

If someone doesn't make a "Molyneux and Vanaman on a boat" game at the next Molyjam, I'll be really disappointed. 

How much moly would a molydeux deux if a molydeux could moly deux?

Quality youtube thumbnail image :) looks like he's about to deck Peter

Or perhaps playing darts

They changed the thumbnail booooo