Sign in to follow this  
Salka

Tintin

wait. tintin...hmmm...by reading through this comic here and using 10 % of my austrian cleverness...hmmm...this guy is called tintin??? that's like tin. tin. only an english mother can call her son tin tin. like tin. tin. but if tintin had an austrian mother she'd call him tim. because then he'd be able to leave the house without commiting suicide. because of tin. tin.

Yeah, that Tintin basically has very little personality but still holds together all these great comic adventure stories is a strange thing. But I think if you asked Tintin fans who their favourite character was, it would rarely be Tintin, more likely Captain Haddock, the Thompsons, Calculus, or Snowy. Tintin's effect if he has one is probably not to be likeable in that way, because he is such a blank slate.

Scott McCloud (in Understanding Comics) has something to say about Herge's use of very intricately detailed backgrounds along with the very iconic cartoonish look of his characters. He likens this to the very strong Japanese comics tradition of 'masking', that is making the main character fairly nondescript, in a very vividly realised world - thus allowing the reader to imagine themself as the hero in this very real world.

To follow this through, this is particularly effective amongst young readers with Tintin himself, because as you say, there's little we know about Tintin except that he's a young boy. He's not just visually a blank slate, but as a personality too. Lots of young readers can identify with that. He is a reporter, but that's basically an occasional excuse for an adventure (I think there's one instance in of him filing a report in all of the comics).

Incidentally, a lot of Tintin fans aren't keen on how he is in the last finished book - Tintin And The Picaros - because Hergé made him more of a character, by showing he drove a moped and practised yoga. Oddly here, the lack of character is preferred.

The 'masking' thing is an interesting idea, but I know that for me, it was always about enjoying Haddock's alliterative insults, and the great fights and close escapes. I don't think I ever wanted to be like Tintin.

Tintin is a weird little bastard.

Wasn't Tintin and the Picasos that weird one with the aliens? Or was that Flight 714?

I have Tintin and the Picaros around here somewhere.

TinTin is actually a French name. In the Netherlands, and in the Dutch speaking parts of Belgium, this character's name is Kuifje, which means forelock.

So... TinTin ain't a bad name, compared to forelock.

Kuifjeinamerikakl.jpg

Fig. 1.1: An example of a Dutch Kuifje or (forelock) comic.

--Erwin

Tintin is a weird little bastard.

Wasn't Tintin and the Picasos that weird one with the aliens? Or was that Flight 714?

I have Tintin and the Picaros around here somewhere.

The crazy one with the aliens/volcano/hypnotist was Flight 714, and Picaros is about revolution in San Theodoros. I think those were the last two books that were finished.

Anyone notice that a lot of times in the background something funny's going on? Some adventure of some nondescript character behind Tintin and the gang?

Hmm, I read somewhere that the reason we like Tintins personality is that he hasn't really got a personality. Or something like that, give or take a few feet.

Wasn't the guy (Hergé) who made Tintin a nazi? Or is that just an evil rumor?

I love french comics. It's really the only country that can make good comics, if you don't mind USA.

Hmm, I read somewhere that the reason we like Tintins personality is that he hasn't really got a personality. Or something like that, give or take a few feet.

Well, it's not like he hasn't got one. It's just a superhero personality. I guess it's more of a charecteristic, but he's really selfless and compassionate. The kind of guy most people would like around them. You know you're safe around Tintin. :woohoo:

And I think Herge may have been German, not necessarily a follower of the Nazi party.

From www.tintin.com:

"Tintin is probably the strangest character in the history of the strip cartoon. Unlike the majority of cartoon heroes, he has no particularly remarkable characteristic. True, he is intelligent, astute, quick-witted and almost invincible.. But when one examines him more closely, it is his unreality which is most startling.

Take the name for a start. In neither French nor English does it mean anything. Is it a first name or a surname?

Next look at his round face with only little dots for eyes and mouth and a small button of a nose. The only distinctive feature is the celebrated quiff.

Then there is his profession, one which except in the very first book we never see him exercise. Tintin is not a typical reporter.

He has no real age; sometimes he seems to be a child, at other times an adolescent, but generally he behaves like an adult.. His sexlessness is also noteworthy. At no time does he have a girlfriend, or do marriage plans interfere with his adventures.

Strictly speaking, he is characterless. This could be seen as a weakness, but that would be a basic misunderstanding of the great coherence of Hergé’s world. In fact this is the neutrality of the hero which is the key element of the books’ success.

It is this lack of personality which enables him to change from having been a colonialist in 1930 to taking sides with guerillas in 1975 without any feeling of contradiction.

As a neutral character he fulfills marvelously the essential role of a hero of a cartoon series, allowing readers scope for identification. This enable anyone, whether boy or girl, young or old, French or Japanese, the chance to live the extraordinary adventures of Hergé’s books.

And around his neutral hero, Hergé could over the years add a whole collection of richly coloured, often type cast characters. In this way the series of adventures could be enriched, gaining variety and intensity while, thanks to Tintin, retaining that immediacy which makes them so very readable."

You know, darling, I can only take so much crap per unit of time per person before I start biting and spewing bile.

I...

Lets put it nicely...

I feel very, very uncomfortable around Yufster. I wouldn't if she hadn't forced us all an overdose of herself. ;(

Off Topic... Deadworm, when did I ever say "em em em em em em em em" as quoted in your signature?

Well, you just said it. See? Eventually you will say it. My signature is clairvoyant.

I'm curious to know why you mention my signature now, however. I've been editing it for many many weeks now.

The most mysterious fact about Tintin is that he never seems to drink or takes drugs despite the fact that his most valuable companions are an alcoholic sailor, a deaf scientist and a speaking dog.

Yeah and the artcole submitted earlier is wrong : tintin does write an article in "Tintin chez les Soviets" but we don't knwo how the hell he sent it to his newspaper.

Maybe he writes for the Spirou?

Which leads me to my next question: are Spirou and Fantasio gay, or do they just live together?

You know, in sin?

Until something fuckable with boobs comes along?

:innocent:

Not enough of those were ever translated to Serbian. Seven or eight, max, plus about five or six Gaston LaGaffe books of short comics -- whereas all Asterixes and Lucky Lukes were. I've read only about three Tintins, wasn't all that impressed, but my mother is a fan since she grew up in a francophone environment.

Maybe he writes for the Spirou?

Which leads me to my next question: are Spirou and Fantasio gay, or do they just live together?

You know, in sin?

Until something fuckable with boobs comes along?

:innocent:

Nah, these guys ain't gay.

Spirou lives with Fantasio out of pity or maybe even friendship. In the last few albums, Spirou falls in love with the daughter of New York Mafia Godfather and in another runs away from a clone facility with the journalist girl that messed with him regurlarly.

And fantasio, well, he kept on hoping that someday his day will raise... he mainly counts on a confusing situations to get a girl, I suppose.

I...

Lets put it nicely...

I feel very, very uncomfortable around Yufster. I wouldn't if she hadn't forced us all an overdose of herself. ;(

You shrinking poltroon of a spineless wimp. Might I suffice to say that I would be the only survivor around here if that ever truly happened (and it probably will)? Heh, I just might even thrive on it!

You shrinking poltroon of a spineless wimp. Might I suffice to say that I would be the only survivor around here if that ever truly happened (and it probably will)? Heh, I just might even thrive on it!

Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you.

Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you.

So cute.... and at the same time, so stupid.

You know what, I'm sick and tired of ALL of this. This is the last straw! Good bye everyone, I'm LEAVING!

And someone send me a mail when Langhorne Underground is released.

And Vimes: Seriousness factor was near 0, but then again, you don't know me.

Nah, I'd survive also, just cause I'm so damn cute and lovable, just like a cockroach.

Whoa! What's up? ;(

I don't know. I thought it was all just lighthearted.

deadworm, I'm sorry if I hurt you. It was just a joke (as was my other post at AG). If you're having a bad day let me know. You know we can never read each other's faces and tone of voice on the Internet, so you had no idea I was joking around and I had no idea you may be in a bad mood.