toblix

Wasteland 2

No, that's not how it works. They spend all of the money on the game, and when it's published and starts turning a profit, 5% of that is contributed to Kickstarted projects.

Yes, what Kolzig said would not be cool at all -- when I back a specific kickstarter, I'm not cool with part of the pledged amount going to other random kickstarters.

hmm, yeah I forgot how that worked, sorry about that.

Also you are not forced to give 5% of the profit even if you pledge to do that originally with Kicking it Forward, but that will make the dev look like an ass if they don't give 5%.

Looks great! The writing will hopefully develop a bit, but all the tactical combat and general world exploration looks like it'll be a lot of fun. Money well spent, I say!

I thought they were joking when they went "It's the plants... The plants are attacking!", but that aside, this is looking like money well spent!

This looks exactly like the game I wanted it to be, though I hope all the characters you speak to have portraits. Between this and Obisidian's game, it's going to be a good year clicking and moving.

That walkthrough looked slick. I never played Wasteland so I'm curious as to how the rest of the world is stitched together, is it fallout style of just going where ever or are these just specific mission areas?

The walkthrough definitely leads me to believe they are on the right track. I really like the use of reading the flavor text in the info/dialogue box.

This looks exactly like the game I wanted it to be, though I hope all the characters you speak to have portraits. Between this and Obisidian's game, it's going to be a good year clicking and moving.

I think Obsidian's game is scheduled for next year.

The Rock Paper Shotgun consensus seems to be that this game will be horrible solely because it uses keywords (name/job/bye) instead of fully-written dialogue responses.

I am playing the original Fallout right now, which does have full responses, but I actually find it a little cryptic; there are response options that will permanently kill off any future dialogue with characters, and it isn't always clear that that's what will happen. Even knowing what my character will say isn't helpful.

Is this a big deal or is this just RPS being RPS? Do any of you have strong preferences? I'll take it however a game gives it to me.

The Rock Paper Shotgun consensus seems to be that this game will be horrible solely because it uses keywords (name/job/bye) instead of fully-written dialogue responses.

I am playing the original Fallout right now, which does have full responses, but I actually find it a little cryptic; there are response options that will permanently kill off any future dialogue with characters, and it isn't always clear that that's what will happen. Even knowing what my character will say isn't helpful.

Is this a big deal or is this just RPS being RPS? Do any of you have strong preferences? I'll take it however a game gives it to me.

It doesn't sound particularly inspired, but if different characters still give different fully-written responses, then it could be good. Different NPC characters should know different things and be able to react to events differently - that's what I care about more than whether "my" dialogue is represented as sentences or keywords.

Keywords are not necessarily bad. There seems to be a lot of text, which might be good on one hand, but not so good on the other (having to just stand there and read a lot).

Keywords worked great in Sam and Max: Hit the Road, too (although they were icons, not actual keywords). It seems really silly to throw an unreleased game under a bus for something like this.

doesn't skyrim/elder scroll basically work of keywords too?

It does, but they're generally disliked because in 99% of cases they elicit only generic responses from NPCs. The whole point of keywords is that you can write custom dialogue for each person without worrying about appropriateness, right?

I really enjoyed the dialogue

in Alpha Protocol, which was keyword based. I think the implementation is what's important, not necessarily what system they choose.

Alpha Protocol wasn't really a keyword system - the keywords only represented stances, and each stance was tied to a specific line of dialog. The keyword system usually refers to a system that uses keywords in lieu of specific lines, rather than keywords as representatives of lines of dialog. I think there's a pretty big difference: in one instance you never get to see what your character ostensibly said. I like it for Wasteland 2 because it lets me imagine my party saying things based on what my party is like - there's no way the developers could ever craft specific dialog for every party any player could want to roleplay as.

I got this in my email today:

"After about 190,000 views our original video was deleted by Vimeo. After two days of back and forth with them they apologized for the mistake and put it back up, but the link that went out with the last Kickstarter update is still broken."

Nice going, Vimeo!

Here's a 1080p version of the video from YouTube...

Watching the video again, in full screen 1080p, it seems like the game might have some serious UX problems :-/ Having clues appear as text in the bottom right hand corner is very annoying. It's not immediately clear what the text is referring to, and it forces you to look away from the action. Surely it would be better if a speech bubble appeared over the things it was referring to?

So instead of this (NOTE: the clue in the text box in the bottom right hand corner):

temp1_zps201ee607.jpg

You'd get this:

temp2_zps8f1bae88.jpg

I don't agree. That would be about as annoying as the ass creed / far cry popups. Whereas a log window that you can turn off and/or ignore if you want is much better.

Well surely you'd have the ability to turn off pop-ups, too? I think part of my problem with the box in the corner is that I believe it's essential. As in, turning it off would make the game pretty unplayable...? You certainly get the impression that it offers important information watching the video.