toblix

Wasteland 2

Yeah, you guys are right. I probably just don't like "evil, calculating bastard [brian Fargo]"* as much as Tim Schafer. And I don't know either, isn't it silly!

*Thunderpeel2001

Congrats to Brian Fargo about this. It's really cool that he finally gets to make Wasteland 2. It's clear that this push went live because of Double Fine's success. Though I wonder how soon Kickstarter gets overblown with projects related to such games like DFA and Wasteland 2.

elmuerte and thunderpeel, you guys are giving me nightmares, if Anarchronox 2, LBA3 or Firefly were to ever appear in Kickstarter... I don't know what the hell would happen. Too much awesome stuff would be a serious health risk for me.

Though I wonder how soon Kickstarter gets overblown with projects related to such games like DFA and Wasteland 2.

Yeah I think there will be an over-saturation eventually... so get in while you can!

Still a fun time to be around watching this stuff and hopefully some cool stuff will get made.

Yeah I think there will be an over-saturation eventually... so get in while you can!

Still a fun time to be around watching this stuff and hopefully some cool stuff will get made.

Yeah, after pledging a not inconsiderable amounts of dollars to Idle Thumbs and Double Fine, and some to Wasteland 2 and another indie game movie project, I think the best other potentially interesting projects can hope from me is $15 or so, if that.

Even then at least more and more people are discovering kickstarter so they'll just have a bunch of people pledging $10-15 instead of a smaller portion doing $50.

Brian Fargo is really a superb guy.

I love the Kicking it Forward idea, I hope it catches on and people join that movement! :tup:

So if they hit $2.1 million Chris Avellone of Obsidian/Fallout/Planescape-fame is on board. Very-very exciting! He is supposed to "to help push the density and literary content of the game."

Okay, now I'm as emotionally invested in this Kickstarter and its success as I was with Tim Schafer's.

The update.

So if they hit $2.1 million Chris Avellone of Obsidian/Fallout/Planescape-fame is on board. Very-very exciting! He is supposed to "to help push the density and literary content of the game."

Okay, now I'm as emotionally invested in this Kickstarter and its success as I was with Tim Schafer's.

The update.

Of note, for those concerned about Obsidian's track record with bugginess, is that they will only be helping with design and that programming will all be done by the inXile people.

edit: :D still logged in as Phaedrus.

So if they hit $2.1 million Chris Avellone of Obsidian/Fallout/Planescape-fame is on board.[/url]

I'd try to raise 2 mil if he stays out of it. Not to be a dick, but its 2012 and Obsidian is a company I have little respect for.

Of note, for those concerned about Obsidian's track record with bugginess, is that they will only be helping with design and that programming will all be done by the inXile people.

edit: :D still logged in as Phaedrus.

To be fair to Obsidian, their track record regarding bugs is mainly because of publishers rushing them to finish their games, doing the Q&A badly and so forth. As I hear it Dungeon Siege 3 is incredibly polished.

Of course, I also hear that Dungeon Siege 3 isn't a particularly good game despite this. But still.

I actually feel the opposite. I love Chris Avellone's projects, despite the bugs, but I am supremely unexcited about Wasteland 2. I'd much rather contribute to an original project than to a sequel and "spiritual predecessor/successor" of another franchise. Must kickstarter begin replicating all the problems of traditional publishers?

To be fair to Obsidian, their track record regarding bugs is mainly because of publishers rushing them to finish their games, doing the Q&A badly and so forth. As I hear it Dungeon Siege 3 is incredibly polished.

Of course, I also hear that Dungeon Siege 3 isn't a particularly good game despite this. But still.

To be fair, that excuse is bullshit. They probably didn't scope the game very well and had too much stuff going on which took too long to develop all. So at a certain point they were already way over development time and the publisher wanted them to wrap it up into a game.

But I don't know Obidian as a developer of buggy games. At least, not like I know Bethesda.

I actually feel the opposite. I love Chris Avellone's projects, despite the bugs, but I am supremely unexcited about Wasteland 2. I'd much rather contribute to an original project than to a sequel and "spiritual predecessor/successor" of another franchise. Must kickstarter begin replicating all the problems of traditional publishers?

It's the sequel to a 24 year old computer RPG that no publisher would ever touch. Doing something no major publisher wants any part in is hardly "replicating all the problems of traditional publishers."

So now they reached 2,1 million during the night.

I'm confused about the role that Brian Fargo had on Wasteland and during the Black Isle era of Interplay.

I know he was an Executive Producer, but depending on the company, this could translate to pure management role or creative direction.Any body has more details than what Wikipedia offers?

I supported it. To be honest I'm surprised (and yet not surprised*) at how negative everyone is being.

*see guide to Idle thumbs

Just for the record, after being not super-excited some weeks ago about Wasteland 2 and Brian Fargo, I am now super-excited about Wasteland 2 and Brian Fargo. It all just gets better and better.

I finally jumped the fence and funded this. However, given that this Kickstarter is even more of a mega-special edition pre-order fest than the previous one, I'm pondering if I'm sending the wrong signal.

When game related projects came to Kickstarter, I saw it as a great way of putting my money were my mouth was i.e. funding projects I think should get made and distributed. Which doesn't necessarily equal to yearning for the final product.

Beside spiting Karimi, I'm basically funding Wasteland 2 on this idea : I'm not that giddy about post-apocalyptic RPGs, but I want to show that I think Chris Avelonne and some of the other people involved should be able to dedicate their skills to something they truly care about. In this case, it's that game; I'd be happier with something less generic, but I'll take what I can.

Now, I'm not sure if the message will get through. And I don't know how to signify it to InXile without sounding like a dick.

Other than that, this project seems amazingly structured and its dev roster is increasingly impressive; which is pretty reassuring.:tup:

First piece of concept art is available. Sadly, one of the things that struck me about it was that the woman isn't wearing a spiked metal bikini. Looking good!

2,933,147 dollars from Kickstarter plus over 100 000 dollars from Paypal.

Quite nice budget for the Wasteland 2 guys.

So about 150 000 dollars will go to the Kicking it Forward initiative. That's very cool.

No, that's not how it works. They spend all of the money on the game, and when it's published and starts turning a profit, 5% of that is contributed to Kickstarted projects.